Google Now Search Bar Voice icon/botton issue

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I updated all my apps and Google Now was one of them.

This morning I tried to use the pre-installed widget at the top of the home screen, and when I pressed the mic button, nothing happens. I've tried clearing the cache, disabling the widget and re-enableing it.

Nothing seems to work. I use this feature quite a bit. I'm assuming this is a glitch related to the update, but I'm just curious to know if anybody is also experiencing this after updating the app recently?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I updated all my apps and Google Now was one of them.

This morning I tried to use the pre-installed widget at the top of the home screen, and when I pressed the mic button, nothing happens. I've tried clearing the cache, disabling the widget and re-enableing it.

Nothing seems to work. I use this feature quite a bit. I'm assuming this is a glitch related to the update, but I'm just curious to know if anybody is also experiencing this after updating the app recently?

If I'm following you right, you're talking about the Google search app widget. If the search bar isn't working, try the voice search button. Or enable the ok Google phrase to engage.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2764.jpg
    2764.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 112

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If I'm following you right, you're talking about the Google search app widget. If the search bar isn't working, try the voice search button. Or enable the ok Google phrase to engage.

Yes I'm talking about the Google Search app widget that comes pre-installed at the top of the screen. The one that some people complain about not being able to remove, but which you actually can in the settings; if you long press and click settings on any home screen, it gives you an option to disable it, but it doesn't actually give you back the extra real estate if you do.

The search function is working fine. It's the voice icon that suddenly stopped working. I've always disabled the ok Google phrase because it uses some battery, and with moto voice, having both of the features enabled is pointless. Especially since Moto Voice can be enabled with the screen off and the Ok Google phrase cannot. I tested this anyway to see if it would make a difference, and it still doesn't work. The voice search button is just completely dead. Again the regular search input works totally fine. It's just the mic that stopped working all of a sudden after I updated it last night.

There's also an option to long press and add a new version of the Google Search app widget anywhere, which I tested and it worked totally fine, the mic voice search button and everything. So it appears to be only an issue with the one that comes pre-installed in the native launcher.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing the same behavior. pressing the mic button from the launcher isn't working. If I press on the search bar, and then the mic it works.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the same behavior. pressing the mic button from the launcher isn't working. If I press on the search bar, and then the mic it works.

Exactly, I don't like the extra button press. Must be a glitch related to Google's update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, I don't like the extra button press. Must be a glitch related to Google's update.

It will likely require an update from Motorola. The launcher must not be using Google's actual widget but instead they created their own for launcher3 that replicated the functionality, which is now broken.

You could try installing the Google now launcher (you can uninstall it later, of course) to test and see if the gn top widget works.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm using nova launcher prime. It's $1 today, I highly recommend it. No issues with voice actions/widgets on my side using nova.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Turbo and am having the same issue. I really never use this feature so I can't say when it stopped working...or if it ever did work.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Just had the same thing, exact scenario. Thanks to all who are recommending a different launcher, but that doesn't really address this issue. I don't use it often, but I would like it to work when I do want it.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Just had the same thing, exact scenario. Thanks to all who are recommending a different launcher, but that doesn't really address this issue. I don't use it often, but I would like it to work when I do want it.

Two options - 1. Wait for a patch update (days/weeks). 2.) Start using moto voice to initiate searches.

Of course, there's also that option three...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the Google now launcher so close to how the stock launcher works that it won't be that difficult to change (plus the Google search bar will definitely always work?)

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. It's just having to setup your screens again.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone give me a short summary of the advantages of the Google now launcher vs the stock launcher

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone give me a short summary of the advantages of the Google now launcher vs the stock launcher

I only just converted today, but what I see is:
- phone looks the same
- app drawer scrolls up and down, instead of side to side
- extra main screen to the left with the google now cards on it.

Other than that, cannot tell that it is a different launcher. You can still switch back to the old, via the "home" option in Settings.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

One is routinely updated via play store, the other is only updated when Verizon pushes an OTA.

When you start talking about nova launcher - that's when there's a long list of differences and reasons it's better.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm using nova launcher prime. It's $1 today, I highly recommend it. No issues with voice actions/widgets on my side using nova.

Best launcher ever! Just started using it today and I'm beyond impressed. If you take the time, go over everything, I feel you will find the same success as us two do. And for a buck, come on! Love the gesture actions and I finally got my double tap to turn off the screen.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Why Verizon makes Motorola put that crappy psuedo-Google Now launcher on the phone and not the real thing is curious. They could just have the GN launcher the stock launcher and not have to worry about upgrading the launcher all of the time.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I use the stupid microphone button frequently! I just got the phone a couple of days ago and realized the thing doesn't work. GAH! Verizon makes me crazy. Why should I have to install a different launcher or configure something else to do what has always been simple and worked great in the past?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance