01-11-2016 08:46 PM
33 12
tools
    The Moto X Pure Edition is probably the Turbo 2's real soak test, as Marshmallow has been out for the MXPE for a few weeks now. The phone (software-wise) is pretty identical to the Turbo 2 other than the difference in processor (808 vs 810). Really, all Moto would need to do is take the MXPE 6.x build and add the Verizon-specific apps and there you'd have it.
    It's not that simple.
    12-28-2015 05:41 PM
    It's not that simple.
    Yeah, VZW is involved.
    12-28-2015 05:47 PM
    Yeah, VZW is involved.
    Even still, it's more than just taking the Moto X build and putting on the DROID TURBO 2.

And of course Verizon's gonna be involved since it's a Verizon phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-28-2015 06:44 PM
    Even still, it's more than just taking the Moto X build and putting on the DROID TURBO 2.

And of course Verizon's gonna be involved since it's a Verizon phone.
    I realize, different processor, display, whatnot. Just stirring the pot.
    12-28-2015 06:58 PM
    So much for a Christmas present. Maybe by New Years...
    Well, hope you got it. It is a very nice phone.
    01-02-2016 12:28 PM
    I'm extremely disappointed on how updates are done. I don't understand the delay since this series of devices is the only manufacturer with a close to stock experience. Furthermore, after this update, you already know this will be another device to forgotten about. Motorola's communication has been poor and overall I'm getting disenchanted about Android.
    01-11-2016 02:36 PM
    I'm extremely disappointed on how updates are done. I don't understand the delay since this series of devices is the only manufacturer with a close to stock experience. Furthermore, after this update, you already know this will be another device to forgotten about. Motorola's communication has been poor and overall I'm getting disenchanted about Android.
    Most of the delay comes from the service provider. Though the phone is close to stock Android it is still subject to carrier approval on all updates. We've already seen that Motorola can push out updates quickly when dealing with a carrier unlocked phone like the Moto X Pure.

As far as Android, it is a little frustrating they can't do more to help with the update process, but since they don't make the phones they are at the mercy of the phone makers. It comes down to deciding if you're willing to compromise fast updates for the flexibility Android gives you. If not you either choose Nexus or go with another OS.
    01-11-2016 04:10 PM
    The update schedule is not just up to Motorola. Verizon decides when the Droids get updated; Droid is a Verizon brand name that Motorola makes under contract for Verizon. Part of any delay may be the timing for the new wifi calling in advanced calling? Or getting updates for all of the bloatware?

In the past Motorola has said that they cannot communicate about Droid brand updates without Verizon's permission.

But the Droids have a long history of late android updates. If you studied them you would have known that before you decided to buy the phone. If updates are important, from now on buy only Nexus phones (or iPhones.)
    01-11-2016 08:46 PM
33 12