Power button slanted?

xev11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the power button supposed to be slanted? I can only press it on the top portion. And the bottom half is flush with the device

Last edited:

xev11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
hm thanks. now i know that that isnt a problem, i thought it protruded completely initially.
now back to dealing with low earpiece ..

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that both your phones are working, but I'd be cautious re: the slanted power button.

I originally paid for 3 Droid Turbo 2's at Verizon, got redemption codes, and ordered the phones via the Motomaker site. All 3 arrived about 8 days later. Two were fine, and within 24 hours one kept randomly shutting off, despite being fully charged. We tried pretty much everything - uninstalled apps, wiped cache, factory reset. It was truly appearing to be a hardware issue of some sort, and it got progressively worse day by day after it first starting happening, and finally it became impossible to get the phone to start up again.

I examined the bad phone and compared it to the two working phones. The only visible difference was what the OP described: the power button on the dead Turbo 2 was slanted: the top was normally extended, but the bottom of the button was somewhat collapsed into the phone. With the other, working phones, the button extends straight out from the side of the phone -- top and bottom equally extended, and the button remains properly perpendicular to the phone as I press it in to turn the phone on/off.

I had to call Motorola customer service, was given a new redemption code, and had them build a replacement while I returned the dead phone. The new one arrived -- works perfectly -- and its power button is just like the other two working Turbo 2's: no slant to the power button at all.

In our case, I'm convinced that the power button was the source of the problem. No guarantee that a slanted power button means trouble, but if you find that on/off functions start becoming the least bit unusual or hesitant, I'd strongly consider looking for a replacement.

Jon

xev11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow thanks so much for the thorough post.

I have only had one weird shutdown, but the phone was in someone else's hands so i cant say for sure whether they pressed the power button or not.
But it seems like this model has been having all sorts of issues. Hopefully Moto and Lenevo figure this out.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I swapped mine out at a corporate store just to be safe. Could be an issue later on down the road.

Posted via the Android Central App

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear - it's not so much that it is visually slanted as it is that the bottom portion of the button do not engage the power button. Only by pressing the top of the button can you use the power button.

Posted via the Android Central App

SeanSkiNE

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine is exactly the same - I just noticed it last night, then went searching and stumbled upon this thread.

I'm contemplating swapping it because I don't want it to fail down the road, but I also don't want to be paranoid (which I tend to be about my cars, electronics, etc.)

Anyone had theirs completely fail?

xev11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went into a store and all the display models have the full power button fully protrude but pressing the lower part of it does nothing. Maybe the spring is not centered on a large portion of the production run. Since we all have the 1 + yr warrenty, a power button failure will certainly be covered.

SeanSkiNE

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I actually went into the Verizon store just now on my lunch break and I played with two of the other Droid Turbo 2's that they had on the floor. They felt exactly the same as mine (bottom 1/3 of the button doesn't click) and the sales guy I talked to agreed.

Last edited:

SeanSkiNE

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Just to add one more data point for any future owners who are worried about this, here are 2 captures from the teardown videos that prove out the location of the microswitch - way up at the top, which explains the crappy (yet normal) button feel.

This is a little more straight on, of the microswitch itself.
R9yfxok.jpg

This is a top-down view indicating the location of the microswitch in relation the overall shape of the button.
wxtlVfm.jpg