Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Though I would like, I don't expect to see this in the next OTA

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think that this feature needs to be added to stock Android. If you have trouble with an app, then swipe it away in the recent apps list. Otherwise, there is simply no reason to close all.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think that this feature needs to be added to stock Android. If you have trouble with an app, then swipe it away in the recent apps list. Otherwise, there is simply no reason to close all.

I'd disagree, especially if you use individual windows for websites in chrome. I know they are using next to nothing or zero resources if they haven't been touched in a while, but still, what would be the purpose in having 100 recent apps if they haven't been touched in a week? A clear button is a simple, non-intrusive way to clear without spending 5 minutes swiping away. On my previous phones, I rarely used the feature, but I'd rather have it than have to swipe 100 times to clear recent apps that aren't recent anymore. It was always a nice feature when I wanted to use it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's quite simple to turn off chrome tabs in the recent apps - it's a setting in the chrome browser settings.

The purpose of recent apps is to allow quick switching to an app that you recently used, so you can quickly switch (for example) from a browser tab to Google search and then quickly back to the browser tab again without having to go home and find the relevant app. The purpose of the recent apps is not to close them but to switch between them.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
On a previous thread I the same thing, I was told that these are not actually open, just recently used apps. However, I too would like to see something that just closes them out of that screen and makes them all disappear

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The S6 has a "Close All" button. Not sure why Moto wouldn't want to include the option. For those who like to swipe away, it would be great. There must be a reason why Samsung has included the option?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
While they apparently don't take up any resources sitting open, it would be nice to have a close all function just to help get rid of the clutter so you can of all that apps you have sitting there open. Sometimes it's just nice to start fresh in that list.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
While they apparently don't take up any resources sitting open, it would be nice to have a close all function just to help get rid of the clutter so you can of all that apps you have sitting there open. Sometimes it's just nice to start fresh in that list.

If you need that, buy a Samsung from now on. Google designed android and didn't include a close all because it is unnecessary and makes the phone work worse if you do close all apps at once. Whatever Samsung does may be because samsung's proprietary touch wiz apps are so crappy that they need a close all.

And, again - the list is a list of recent apps and tabs, not *open* apps and tabs. The list doesn't mean that the app is "sitting open".

There was a time when android resources (mainly ram) were so scarce that closing all was occasionally needed. That was a looong time ago.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
It's quite simple to turn off chrome tabs in the recent apps - it's a setting in the chrome browser settings.

The purpose of recent apps is to allow quick switching to an app that you recently used, so you can quickly switch (for example) from a browser tab to Google search and then quickly back to the browser tab again without having to go home and find the relevant app. The purpose of the recent apps is not to close them but to switch between them.

I'm aware, but some may choose to keep that setting. Now they have apps and chrome tabs. Just saying that it's easy to build a long list and would be nice to be able to clear every now and then without spending 5 minutes swiping away each time.