Screen Test - 11.5+ hours SOT

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
First thing I should say is that these numbers are slightly deceptive and in no way “normal” or what any user should expect on a daily basis. Having said that…

I’ve heard many say that the screen is one of the most power hungry sources on this phone, so I wanted to run a test on it. I didn’t care to see how fast I could drain the battery because that wouldn’t take much and no one cares. Instead, I wanted to test the phone under optimal battery saving conditions which were:

• Lowest screen brightness
  • Connected to WiFi all day
  • Minimal use of location services
  • No Google Now setup
  • No BT
  • Good cellular signal
  • 30 minute screen timeouts (not battery saving, but the foundation of the test)

You’d think with a 30 minute screen timeout that this phone would be dead in about 8 hours. You’d also be wrong. By A LOT. Also, I never once had the phone in battery saver mode.

Now, I didn’t simply use the phone as a paper weight with the screen on for 30 minute segments, although that did happen a few times, I was actively using it and not turning off the display. The phone would sit for some amount of time with the display on, I’d pick it up for however long and then set it back down. I did this repeatedly throughout the day. I don’t believe I made a made a phone call, but make no mistake, I easily spent 3-4 hours actively using this phone. I decided to call it quits and head to bed at about 1AM with more than 25% remaining. The final results as you can see, 11.5 hours SOT. What is quite intriguing to me is that I could have squeezed 14 hours out of this thing if I ran it down. I’d argue the screen is VERY power efficient when the display is dim.

Screenshot_2015-12-27-00-56-41.pngScreenshot_2015-12-27-00-56-46.pngScreenshot_2015-12-27-00-56-54.png

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
First thing I should say is that these numbers are slightly deceptive and in no way “normal” or what any user should expect on a daily basis. Having said that…

I’ve heard many say that the screen is one of the most power hungry sources on this phone, so I wanted to run a test on it. I didn’t care to see how fast I could drain the battery because that wouldn’t take much and no one cares. Instead, I wanted to test the phone under optimal battery saving conditions which were:

• No Google Now setup
  • No BT
  • Good cellular signal
  • 30 minute screen timeouts (not battery saving, but the foundation of the test)

You’d think with a 30 minute screen timeout that this phone would be dead in about 8 hours. You’d also be wrong. By A LOT. Also, I never once had the phone in battery saver mode.

Now, I didn’t simply use the phone as a paper weight with the screen on for 30 minute segments, although that did happen a few times, I was actively using it and not turning off the display. The phone would sit for some amount of time with the display on, I’d pick it up for however long and then set it back down. I did this repeatedly throughout the day. I don’t believe I made a made a phone call, but make no mistake, I easily spent 3-4 hours actively using this phone. I decided to call it quits and head to bed at about 1AM with more than 25% remaining. The final results as you can see, 11.5 hours SOT. What is quite intriguing to me is that I could have squeezed 14 hours out of this thing if I ran it down. I’d argue the screen is VERY power efficient when the display is dim.

View attachment 211385View attachment 211386View attachment 211387

But not knowing what apps you have in your phone and the frequency of updates or syncing this could be different for other users what percent was your screen brightness set to

Posted via the Android Central App

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the major bloat disabled? Do you have the Motorola Privacy options turned off? Do you 'clear data' motocare after every reboot? Were you syncing accounts and using actual data during your usage? This seems extreme.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have apps update in the background, they only update when I use the app. Screen was at the lowest brightness possible. Email/Google accounts were synced using push. I don't use moto apps except display. I never clear cache. Most bloat apps that can disabled are. I was using WiFi throughout the day for social media/web browsing.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have apps update in the background, they only update when I use the app. Screen was at the lowest brightness possible. Email/Google accounts were synced using push. I don't use moto apps except display. I never clear cache. Most bloat apps that can disabled are. I was using WiFi throughout the day for social media/web browsing.

What do you use to control which apps sync in the background?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the major bloat disabled? Do you have the Motorola Privacy options turned off? Do you 'clear data' motocare after every reboot? Were you syncing accounts and using actual data during your usage? This seems extreme.

Are these moto privacy settings known to have major effects on the battery?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
What do you use to control which apps sync in the background?

I don't use an app. Any app I use frequently outside of Google I just turn off notifications and background updates when possible.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

• No Google Now setup
  • No BT
  • Good cellular signal

View attachment 211385View attachment 211386View attachment 211387

It seems to me that the biggest power drain on the T2 isn't necessarily the screen, but just the phone being active and syncing. When I'm doing simple e-reading, I can go 12-15 minutes and only drop 1%, but as soon as I start actually switching apps, checking internet, etc., the battery percentage drops like a rock.

Kaguar77

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had my phone off the charger since about 10am this morning and using it every so often for Facebook, texting, yik yak, this forum, Amazon shop, etc. It's currently at 65% battery. I had the gs6 edge before this phone and even if I used it less than I've used this phone today it would have died a while ago. This phone lasts me all day, everyday and I'm a heavy phone user.

Only huge battery drainage I've seen so far is when I was babysitting my niece, she loves playing with our phones so she had it while I was watching her. When I'm with her I take a lot of videos and pictures of her and she likes looking at herself in the camera. My phone was at 90% when I got to my sisters house. I was there for about 3 hours before I put her to bed and the phone went down to I believe around 40/50% but once she was in bed and I used it for audio books, and Facebook, etc. It lasted the rest of the 5 hours I was there and I got home and it was at ~20% when I got home around 2am. I got to my sisters around 5:30pm.

I am immensely happy with this phones battery life.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone off the charger since about 10am this morning and using it every so often for Facebook, texting, yik yak, this forum, Amazon shop, etc. It's currently at 65% battery. I had the gs6 edge before this phone and even if I used it less than I've used this phone today it would have died a while ago. This phone lasts me all day, everyday and I'm a heavy phone user.

Only huge battery drainage I've seen so far is when I was babysitting my niece, she loves playing with our phones so she had it while I was watching her. When I'm with her I take a lot of videos and pictures of her and she likes looking at herself in the camera. My phone was at 90% when I got to my sisters house. I was there for about 3 hours before I put her to bed and the phone went down to I believe around 40/50% but once she was in bed and I used it for audio books, and Facebook, etc. It lasted the rest of the 5 hours I was there and I got home and it was at ~20% when I got home around 2am. I got to my sisters around 5:30pm.

I am immensely happy with this phones battery life.

Which is completely fine. It's not bad battery life compared to most flagships, but it is a major step back in the battery life department coming from a Droid Turbo and Droid Maxx before that.

Kaguar77

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Which is completely fine. It's not bad battery life compared to most flagships, but it is a major step back in the battery life department coming from a Droid Turbo and Droid Maxx before that.

The droid turbo's battery is better?? Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12