Two questions on the droid turbo II/Force

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
1) Been watching some reviews on this phone on youtube & one thing every review says is you need a really steady hand to take pictures. Is this true? I'm hoping I'll be ok taking pictures as my hands aren't shaky.

2) One review said that when they are talking on the phone they sounded like a robot & had to repeat themselves to the other person a lot. Anyone else notice that they sound like a robot?

Posted via Android Central App

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
No - Camera has been fine. Re voice - as a matter of fact, its been excellent, especially when I'm talking to see somebody else with HD voice (VoLTE) - that's superb.

pawdog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed with the camera inside the camera tries to take non flash shots with a pretty slow shutter speed,. So while the picture will be well lit it will, have some blur. Using the flash will allow a much faster shutter speed and freeze the action. It would be nice if you got a slow shutter warning once the speed needs to be below 1/60th of a second or so. Anything below that will need flash for most people.

Posted via the Android Central App

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had no issues when talking on the phone. The camera is okay. But the good thing is there are lots of camera apps if you are not happy with the stock one.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like everything is good then. I totally forgot I could download a camera app if I'm not happy with the stock app. Looking forward to upgrading to this phone.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had it a few days and the sound when talking on the phone is really weird. It's "robotic" but in doing a little research, it seems like it has to do with the Advanced Calling Video Chat setting. If it's on, even if you're only making Voice calls, it's got the robotic "warble" to it but if you turn that and leave the HD Voice on it's supposed to be better. I haven't made a call after turning it off to see though.

As for the camera, I have taken a few pics and they are okay. The camera software is very rudimentary and in most cases that's okay, but it seems to overcorrect on the white balance and doesn't really give you any way to adjust. I was trying to take pics of a Christmas tree with lights that were sort of a warm white with an amber glow and it over corrected to make them stark white and got rid of the yellow. Everything seems to shift blue and it seems to want to make everything shift to the cool color space. I kept going back and forth trying to decide between the T2 and either the LG V10 or the LG G4 because they have such great camera software and hardware. I am still in my 14 day period and I may yet swap out for one of them. I am playing with it to see what I can do with third party software but so far none have really helped much.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that HD voice clarity on the Droid Turbo 2 will mean anything if the OP is interested in the Moto X Force. Yes, they are the same hardware, but advanced calling/LTE is specific to Verizon on the T2 and the X Force will have different voice call performance. (Not to mention that the T2 uses CDMA for non-VoLTE calls while the X Force will most likely use GSM.)

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, she did ask about both so I gave my experience on the one I have. I have made a few calls today with the HD Voice on but the Video off and it worked very well. The sound was much better so if she is getting the Turbo 2 on Verizon, make sure to turn off the Advanced Calling Video for the best sound quality. If it's the Moto X Force then you probably won't have the problem.

I downloaded the Camera FV-5 app and it has a lot more control than the native app and I've been able to get some interesting results with it. I'm going to give it a try for the next couple of days and see what results I get. I'm really hoping to make it work because I enjoy the phone for the most part.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the UK so it's the moto x force here & I'll be getting it with which ever carrier is cheaper. At the mo it's cheapest on Vodafone with 6GB unlimited calls & texts but £99 upfront cost but only £35 a month. I need a lot of GB's as I sometimes let my 2 nephews watch cartoons on youtube on my phone using 3G/4G.

On my phone I'll just be doing normal calls no face time or what ever it's called.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the UK so it's the moto x force here & I'll be getting it with which ever carrier is cheaper. At the mo it's cheapest on Vodafone with 6GB unlimited calls & texts but £99 upfront cost but only £35 a month. I need a lot of GB's as I sometimes let my 2 nephews watch cartoons on youtube on my phone using 3G/4G.

On my phone I'll just be doing normal calls no face time or what ever it's called.

Lucy why not run your contract down and then buy the handset and get a sim only deal?

I always do this and have a sim only with three which gives me unlimited data each month and it costs me around £13 per month!

If you do your contract with the £99 up front payment you will be paying miles more for the phone than if you just buy the handset outright, it just doesn't make financial sense to me at all!

Also on the Motorola UK site they accept Unidays codes which will get you a 10% discount so the Force will be £450 to buy!

I really fancy the Force BUT I think it is over priced so I just bought the Nexus 6 for £225 with the 10% discount and wow what a superb phone for the money, if the Force gets reduced then by selling the N6 I won't lose too much on it but I am smitten with this phone I may end up keeping it :)

Andy

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Lucy why not run your contract down and then buy the handset and get a sim only deal?

I always do this and have a sim only with three which gives me unlimited data each month and it costs me around £13 per month!

If you do your contract with the £99 up front payment you will be paying miles more for the phone than if you just buy the handset outright, it just doesn't make financial sense to me at all!

Also on the Motorola UK site they accept Unidays codes which will get you a 10% discount so the Force will be £450 to buy!

I really fancy the Force BUT I think it is over priced so I just bought the Nexus 6 for £225 with the 10% discount and wow what a superb phone for the money, if the Force gets reduced then by selling the N6 I won't lose too much on it but I am smitten with this phone I may end up keeping it :)

Andy

That's a good idea but I can't afford that much in one go plus after 2 years I may decide to upgrade again as I like upgrading. Hopping I get a good deal when my contract ends but we'll see.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That's a good idea but I can't afford that much in one go plus after 2 years I may decide to upgrade again as I like upgrading. Hopping I get a good deal when my contract ends but we'll see.

Ahh fair enough Lucy £450 is a lot to shell out if things are tight :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have another question. Is it possible to activate the camera from the lock screen?

Yes, from the standard slide to unlock lockscreen, plus you can activate the camera by gesture from the screen powered on or off with two wrist twists (holding the phone in your palm and pretend to open a doorknob twice), or I believe that you can use Moto Voice to start the camera with the display on or off. ("[Whatever your launch phrase is], take a photo.")

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, from the standard slide to unlock lockscreen, plus you can activate the camera by gesture from the screen powered on or off with two wrist twists (holding the phone in your palm and pretend to open a doorknob twice), or I believe that you can use Moto Voice to start the camera with the display on or off. ("[Whatever your launch phrase is], take a photo.")

OMG I totally forgot about twisting your wrist to activate the camera even though I've seen it in videos. Didn't no there were over options too. Thanks.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Can this phone be charged with any portable charger like the ones you can plug into your phone while your out & about? Or does the portable charger need to support turbo charging?