Volume much lower than what is selected

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I noticed that when I get a phone call or notification, the volume is significantly lower than what I have set. If I have full volume set, the actual sound comes out about half that. Now if I go into settings to "test" the sound, it goes at the selected volume, like FULL. Annoying because when phone is in my pocket, I can barely hear it. I soft reset but no luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you're not on a call, the volume rockers are for the ringtone. When you're on a call they're for the phone volume. (When you're playing music, they're for media.) There are separate levels, and you have to set the correct one. Turning up the volume during a call won't turn up the ringer volume. (There's also a "Increase volume in pocket" checkbox in Device/Call. That uses the proximity detector to increase the ringtone if the front of the phone is against your leg (or other body part).

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
When you're not on a call, the volume rockers are for the ringtone. When you're on a call they're for the phone volume. (When you're playing music, they're for media.) There are separate levels, and you have to set the correct one. Turning up the volume during a call won't turn up the ringer volume. (There's also a "Increase volume in pocket" checkbox in Device/Call. That uses the proximity detector to increase the ringtone if the front of the phone is against your leg (or other body part).

Never seen the "increase volume in pocket" option before. Where is it located?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
When you're not on a call, the volume rockers are for the ringtone. When you're on a call they're for the phone volume. (When you're playing music, they're for media.)

I believe that when you are connected to Bluetooth there is even another separate Bluetooth media volume that's different from the speaker/headphone media volume, too.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Never seen the "increase volume in pocket" option before. Where is it located?
I don't have that option on the phone. My Samsung Galaxy S4 did and I used it and it worked well. I'm aware of the three different settings, however that's not my issue. Mine is I have ringtone volume set to full blast. When testing or setting it, it's nice and loud. When my phone actually rings, the volume is about half that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that option on the phone. My Samsung Galaxy S4 did and I used it and it worked well. I'm aware of the three different settings, however that's not my issue. Mine is I have ringtone volume set to full blast. When testing or setting it, it's nice and loud. When my phone actually rings, the volume is about half that.

This was (is?) a problem with the Turbo as well.

Volume turning itself down?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=462927

You can read through that thread and see if any of the suggestions help (eg, if you use moto assist for drive mode or to turn off the sound overnight, try turning those options off and see of it still happens; if you use headphones or bt, see if it happens only after you've connected those to the phone after a restart.)

That thread didn't seem to definitively suggest a solution.