Phone screen won't display while on call if phone moved away from ear

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when I'm on a phone call, if I take the phone away from my ear, the screen DOES NOT turn on! Even pressing the power button doesn't turn it on. This is critical since sometimes I need to press a number while on the call.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The usual reason for this is a screen protector which is covering (and thus, confusing) the phone's proximity detector...

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Just don't think it's the screen protector. Was thinking software or app issue and seeing if anyone else is experiencing this problem

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Got the same issue. Has me hustling to find out how to get back to the phone screen. Minor inconvenience. It will get fixed. Great phone,

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just don't think it's the screen protector. Was thinking software or app issue and seeing if anyone else is experiencing this problem

A screen protector will cause this problem a lot, we have seen that happen here a lot.

That is normal, many screen protectors mess with the proximity sensors. Remove it and see.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
A screen protector will cause this problem a lot, we have seen that happen here a lot.

That is normal, many screen protectors mess with the proximity sensors. Remove it and see.

I guess I can try, although I'm concerned that so many here seem to get scratches on a bare screen with this shatterproof layer stuff.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a Moto Droid Turbo 2 with different screen technology, look on these forums, there are plenty who seem to be getting lots of scratches in a bare screen.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I never had scratches on any Samsung phone. Last phone I had a scratch on was a Nokia non smart phone.

I never out my phone face down, I don't put it in my purse unprotected and I keep it in my pocket.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Kelly, I appreciate your advice, but again, this is NOT a Samsung phone, the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 with a very different screen technology.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And again, as I said, other phones too. What makes you think a Samsung screen doesn't scratch very easily? Because it does.

Gorilla glass is not scratch resistant.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Because you kept mentioning above that your Samsung phones never scratched! And I said that this phone is different and that many are getting very tiny scratches in their screen WITHOUT a screen protector. Not sure I can be any clearer!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had hundreds of phones, I scratched one, which is what I said. Even the old plastic screen phones, I don't know how to be more clear.

Removing your screen protector to test it doesn't mean you can never have a screen protector, even if that one causes the problem.

The screen going dark and turning back on during calls, is operated by the proximity sensors, so it makes sense it is either something triggering it, the screen protector, or the sensors are not working correctly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And again, as I said, other phones too. What makes you think a Samsung screen doesn't scratch very easily? Because it does.

Gorilla glass is not scratch resistant.

The turbo 2 is not a glass screen at all - not gorilla glass, not any kind of glass. Because it is a plastic outer lens, it tends to scratch *far* more easily than a gorilla glass Samsung phone.

I'm not sure if the tempered glass screen protectors cover the prox sensor on a turbo 2; hopefully somebody with a T2 w/o a screen protector can verify if the display lights up when you pull the phone away from your face while on a call...

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
As you move the Droid Turbo 2 away from your head during a call and the screen is black, just give it a little shake and it comes on. Solved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad