05-04-2016 01:20 PM
462 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Got it on my Turbo 2, but why oh why is it 6.0 and not 6.0.1?! I want my middle finger emoji! Oh well, I have my other phone for that.

Posted via the Crimson Black Nexus 6P
    It's there.
    03-09-2016 06:30 AM
    It's March security patch level, right?

(Remember when people complained about it not being out March 1, and now it's got the latest patch and there were reportedly problems fixed? I assume that everyone is fine with waiting a week now.)
    03-09-2016 07:12 AM
    So new to android phones, my droid turbo 2 is my first . Came from iPhones that lasted about 4 hours before needing a charge so decided to make the switch

I just got the marshmallow update and have not yet installed it. I am new to these phones so my question is do I need to back up or save anything before doing the update? I've see. Some people say they've done a wipe or something, not sure what that means...

If anyone has any info as to what I need to do or if I just go ahead and click on the update and let it run. I am Leary because every time Apple had an update for my iPhone it seemed like it made battery life worse. I don't want that to happen w this phone because it lasts me 1.5-2 days on a charge and I think that is amazing

Thanks in advance
    03-09-2016 07:59 AM
    I normally don't back up when I update. All my picture automatically save in the cloud. If I have a program or two that does backups I will do that before I upgrade. My battery life seems better since I updated yesterday so I would not worry about that too much. I don't do a factory reset unless I have problems after I upgrade and so far my phone seems faster and running smoother.
    jasonmhanes likes this.
    03-09-2016 08:03 AM
    It's March security patch level, right?

(Remember when people complained about it not being out March 1, and now it's got the latest patch and there were reportedly problems fixed? I assume that everyone is fine with waiting a week now.)
    Nope. Release it when you post it. That was the problem with me and maybe others.
    If there is an issue to where they needed to delay for further testing, how hard is it for a little heads up?

So this thread got a week's worth of complaints because of it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-09-2016 08:07 AM
    Hi,
    I use the usual backups with Google to keep my contacts and such available in case of something going wrong. The upgrade is pretty smooth and battery life for me is about the same.

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2
    weatherlover1 likes this.
    03-09-2016 08:13 AM
    My upgrade went off without a hitch.

But then I don't have much of anything on my phone that isn't already saved to the cloud, as you never know when you might damage or lose your phone. And sometimes updates do fail....
    03-09-2016 09:13 AM
    Was hoping that the Smart Lock "Home" location would get fixed - apparently it wasn't, my phone still doesn't know when I am at home. They really should add a wifi router as a recognized device
    03-09-2016 09:33 AM
    Was hoping that the Smart Lock "Home" location would get fixed - apparently it wasn't, my phone still doesn't know when I am at home. They really should add a wifi router as a recognized device
    My home location is recognized correctly by smart lock. It always did when I was connected to home WiFi.
    03-09-2016 09:47 AM
    As others have said, you shouldn't need to - but it sure won't hurt to make sure that any photos/videos are backed up somewhere else, just in case.
    03-09-2016 10:26 AM
    I didn't back up anything before updating and all was there when I was done. You do need to back up anything you have on the SD card if you chose to format it to the new internal drive setup, but that is something you would have to go in and intentionally select. Doesn't happen automatically.
    Michael_French_RN likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:00 AM
    I didn't back up anything before updating and all was there when I was done. You do need to back up anything you have on the SD card if you chose to format it to the new internal drive setup, but that is something you would have to go in and intentionally select. Doesn't happen automatically.
    Hey,

Glad you mentioned backing up the SD card. I almost forgot about that. Good job!

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2
    03-09-2016 11:09 AM
    Go into Settings, Scroll down to "Backup & reset", select "Factory data reset"

EDIT...or did you mean, an easy way to backup contents / apps to simplify restore?
    03-09-2016 11:10 AM
    Go into Settings, Scroll down to "Backup & reset", select "Factory data reset"

EDIT...or did you mean, an easy way to backup contents / apps to simplify restore?
    "EDIT...or did you mean, an easy way to backup contents / apps to simplify restore?"
    THIS
    03-09-2016 11:19 AM
    Got it on my Turbo 2, but why oh why is it 6.0 and not 6.0.1?! I want my middle finger emoji! Oh well, I have my other phone for that.
    I started using Textra instead of the default messaging app (also tried Google messaging and Verizon's app -- both fine, but I like Textra better). Textra allows you to add emoji libraries via plugins. I believe they offer Android, Twitter, iOS, Emoji One, but I think you're limited to using one such "emoji style" at a time. I selected the Android style, and it appears to be offering the latest and greatest - so I could, for example send myself a middle finger text emoji.

Using Textra only gives you the new emoji's within SMS or MMS -- not a universal part of the OS, but it covers most use cases. Turned out I really like Textra too...
    03-09-2016 11:21 AM
    "EDIT...or did you mean, an easy way to backup contents / apps to simplify restore?"
    THIS
    I haven't tried it since it's early versions, but I believe something like Helium might do what you are looking for. Here's a pretty good survey of backup / restore tools. Just check carefully as several need Root to work. Helium does NOT need this. See the list here:

10 Best Android Backup Apps
    03-09-2016 11:26 AM
    Only problems I have had so far is that a couple of my apps were gone ( still trying to figure out which ones) and I noticed with my pics and my pocket cast app that my stuff wasn't found because of the change in how storage is recognized. I think Google changed from the sd card being called external to now it's called internal and my phone didn't know where things were. Pics fixed itself but I had to delete my pocket casts and set it back up with my podcasts other than that it's running smoothly and battery is better, so no real complaints from me
    03-09-2016 11:31 AM
    Only problems I have had so far is that a couple of my apps were gone ( still trying to figure out which ones) and I noticed with my pics and my pocket cast app that my stuff wasn't found because of the change in how storage is recognized. I think Google changed from the sd card being called external to now it's called internal and my phone didn't know where things were. Pics fixed itself but I had to delete my pocket casts and set it back up with my podcasts other than that it's running smoothly and battery is better, so no real complaints from me
    I had that issue with my pics that were taken with my camera, originally they were saved to a folder on the sd card called camera and now it created a new folder in the gallery called SD card, but now when i go to my file explorer it shows that they are still being saved to the same location.
    Pretty annoying.
    tpence2177 likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:35 AM
    I had that issue with my pics that were taken with my camera, originally they were saved to a folder on the sd card called camera and now it created a new folder in the gallery called SD card, but now when i go to my file explorer it shows that they are still being saved to the same location.
    Pretty annoying.
    Yeah considering trying the adoptive storage, but my card is like 2 years old now so I'm thinking about getting a new Samsung card before I do I plan to keep my phone at least for another 2 years so I don't want my card dying in the process Samsung 64gb cards are $17 so that's a cheap investment to make sure I don't lose my data. Until then I'll deal with having to "remap" where the storage goes.
    03-09-2016 11:37 AM
    It seems as though the update process renamed some of the folders on my SD card. My gallery app and music player had trouble finding various media files. I ended up unloading and reloading Poweramp to get it to find all of my music. Once I did that, all was good.
    03-09-2016 12:03 PM
    wouldn't wiping and formatting the cache partition be worth trying first? just asking.
    I don't really think it's a cache thing cause Google the sd card so even with the cache cleared the apps that use the sd card are still going to be looking for the data in the old place not in the new name as far as I know.

Edit: the way I'm looking at the sd card problem is kinda like a recent network issue I had. My router reassigned my network printer a new IP address it kept showing as offline on my computer because my computer was looking for the old IP. Once I changed it it was good. That's kinda how I see the sd card. The apps are still looking for sdcard/photo/whatever where now it is internal/photo/ whatever or whatever Google is calling it now.
    douglasbnorton likes this.
    03-09-2016 12:08 PM
    The update fixed my OTG issue. Before the update my DT2 would not see any flash drive when using an OTG cable. Now it works perfectly.
    03-09-2016 12:13 PM
    Pretty annoying.
    would wiping and formatting the cache partition help that?
    03-09-2016 12:17 PM
    ok. thanks.
    03-09-2016 12:19 PM
    Hardware issue or not, there were updates that non-nexus phones got first.
    I think my point stands. There's no promise of a timely update on anything ever.
    Be grateful for what you get, and think about something else while you wait. Hopefully something important.
    No phone with similar hardware (TI OMAP) got updates to the next OS.
    03-09-2016 02:36 PM
462 ... 1213141516 ...