05-04-2016 12:20 PM
462 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Last night, for the 1st time, my phone told me it is ready to update. I said Later. Several times this morning, it kept reminding me. Later. I wanted to wait til I got to work. When I finally said to do the update, it did something for a short time, and then stopped. I checked the System updates and it says Software not updated, Download failed. I tap, Check for system update, "Your device's software is up to date."

Any suggestions? Yes, I have tried rebooting.
    Exact same issue. It wanted me to update early this morning but I had to leave for work so I postponed it. I don't have WiFi at work so I waited until I got home and tried. Like you, it did a brief thing and now tells me the update failed to install but checking for updates tells me it's up to date.

I also tried clearing the cache partition without any improvement. Sigh...
    03-11-2016 09:54 PM
    I had the exact same issue with the "Software not updated" "Download failed" error appearing within 15 seconds or so of trying to update. I also tapped the "Check for system update", and it reported "Your device's software is up to date", even though it reported itself that it was *not* up to date and had just failed installing the update.

Here is the fix:

Connect the phone to a PC (mine is Win 7, but probably any current version of Windows will work. Not sure about if this process can be done on a Mac). The USB driver loaded itself and then the "Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant" program prompted to run. I ran it, chose to do an Upgrade instead of a Repair. The program appears to download the entire Marshmallow upgrade via the PC's FiOS connecton and then apply everything to the phone. Not sure how long it took since I walked away after awhile, but probably 30-40 min.

When done the phone was left running 6.0 and the "System Version" (which is what hung originally) under the "System update history" says 24.14.11.en.US.

Weirdly, in the "System updates" page under the "Last System Update" section it still says:
    "Software not update to 23.31.24.en.US
    Download failed - March 11, 2016 at 9:35PM

But everything appears to be completely current. Only had it off the charger for a few hours now the next day, but seems to be running normally.

Visual Marshmallow changes are minimal -- superficial or trivial, almost. I'm sure there may be significant differences under the hood, but from the user's perspective not much difference. I do agree with complaints lodged here and elsewhere regarding the volume control change, removal of easy access to enabling/disabling the "Priority" alerts under the volume control, and some other things. I particularly don't like the dumbing down of the Apps page in Settings. The dropdown to switch between "All apps", "Enabled" and "Disabled" isn't an improvement over swiping from one screen to the next; it's just different. What is worse is the moving of the "Running" processes to a Developer page and the inability to sort the apps by size in the Apps page. Sorting under size is now under "Apps storage/Internal storage". Again, different for different's sake, but not an improvement. The OS should allow you to see it in both places.

Anyway, I'm glad the update appears to have installed successfully after an initial hiccup. I'm ambivalent about such "upgrades" anyway. The risk of borking the phone during the install is far greater for me than any benefit from Marshmallow (which is none, so far as I can tell). I'd have stayed happily on Lollipop if I'd been able to, since the phone was running awesome with it and didn't need an "upgrade". I'm still running 4.3 on my Nexus 10 tablet because the "upgrades" caused all sorts of issues with Wifi, battery life, etc. The tablet was engineered with 4.3 in mind, not 5.0+ in that case. Careful what you wish for.
    Hanko likes this.
    03-12-2016 01:18 PM
    Exact same issue. It wanted me to update early this morning but I had to leave for work so I postponed it. I don't have WiFi at work so I waited until I got home and tried. Like you, it did a brief thing and now tells me the update failed to install but checking for updates tells me it's up to date.

I also tried clearing the cache partition without any improvement. Sigh...
    Greets all,

After being super stoked to get marshmallow, like others, I had chosen to apply my update at the office, but had to use celluar since my office blocks Wifi. I started the process, the phone started the count down to reboot, it never did. I checked history and said update failed. I restarted, checked for update and the phone said that device was up to date with a failed to download entry.

From here, I've:
    Rebooted phone
    Deleted system cache (thru boot loader)
    Wipe with factory reset thru Settings menu
    Wipe with factory reset thru boot loader

My phone was encrypted at the time of update, but not sure if that played into the failed download. Additionally, the Developer options where enabed and USB Debugging was also enabled. Finally, the failed download log entry still displays, despite the factory wipe, which is telling me that this info may not be stored locally, but someplace on the interwebs.

Both my wife and I got our DT2 at the same time, both notified of the update on 3/11. Her marshmallow update occurred without a hitch, but she was at home over wifi.

So, what now? I'm looking to try and side load MM from a download package, but none are to be found online.

Frustrating for sure.

Thoughts anyone?
    -J
    03-12-2016 02:35 PM
    Sound notifications use to have an option to silent calls & notifications for a period of time, 15 minutes, 30, 1 hour, 2 hour, etc. Can someone help me find this. - the volume toggle use to access this, not it looks like I have to go to 'sound & notification' to turn of sounds, but I don't see it there either.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it, it just seems to take an extra step to get to.
    03-13-2016 09:52 PM
    Greets all,

After being super stoked to get marshmallow, like others, I had chosen to apply my update at the office, but had to use celluar since my office blocks Wifi. I started the process, the phone started the count down to reboot, it never did. I checked history and said update failed. I restarted, checked for update and the phone said that device was up to date with a failed to download entry.

From here, I've:
    Rebooted phone
    Deleted system cache (thru boot loader)
    Wipe with factory reset thru Settings menu
    Wipe with factory reset thru boot loader

My phone was encrypted at the time of update, but not sure if that played into the failed download. Additionally, the Developer options where enabed and USB Debugging was also enabled. Finally, the failed download log entry still displays, despite the factory wipe, which is telling me that this info may not be stored locally, but someplace on the interwebs.

Both my wife and I got our DT2 at the same time, both notified of the update on 3/11. Her marshmallow update occurred without a hitch, but she was at home over wifi.

So, what now? I'm looking to try and side load MM from a download package, but none are to be found online.

Frustrating for sure.

Thoughts anyone?
    -J
    I believe they are still pushing in stages. Once that's done, they'll turn on the ability to pull it down. I turned the update down thinking I would hit it this weekend, but now it's not available to me (for the moment).

There's tricks that may make it available sooner, but I am choosing to simply wait. I originally kinda wanted to watch you folks for another week anyway.
    03-13-2016 11:23 PM
    As I posted previously, I had issues with this OS update. I have read the replies here and it seems quite possible I can get the update by simply following the posted instructions of others. I'm a bit boggled by those who are unhappy about not getting the update but who also don't follow the very simple-to-try instructions of others. I myself haven't followed the very helpful instructions because I don't really need the update and have concerns (as usual) about the changes to something that works for me. Perhaps the posted instructions only apply to Verizon customers? That would, of course, account for others not trying the suggest procedure.

I believe I can get the update at any time by following the instructions of others (I use Verizon) but haven't yet done so as I have previously experienced the "ecstasy" of doing an update and then being very peeved at the changes (that I didn't like) made for the nothing more than the sake of change itself and of no real value or understandable reason other than justifying some *****'s salary. (Much like many changes made by Microsoft over the years.) I now know - thanks to those who have posted above - how to initiate and complete the 'upgrade" to Marshmallow. I will just wait a bit longer to initiate that upgrade while reading the informative posts of those who have either bravely, or precipitately, gone ahead at the first instance of availability.

NOTE: I am, of course, one of those who tried, at first opportunity, to update. I may be fortunate in having had that update fail. While I'm sure I will update in the future, I may well be better off waiting and reading about the experiences of those who jumped directly into the new experience.
    03-14-2016 12:40 AM
    I always want to stay with the latest technology. Currently, using Marshmallow 6.0 Waiting for the next version.
    03-14-2016 01:11 AM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Spt, my OS update failed, and subsequent attempts refect " your phone is up to date ". The 2nd tier support rep said that Verizon has pulled the update because of problems and it would be made available again shortly. Has anyone else heard this ?
    03-14-2016 10:29 AM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Spt, my OS update failed, and subsequent attempts refect " your phone is up to date ". The 2nd tier support rep said that Verizon has pulled the update because of problems and it would be made available again shortly. Has anyone else heard this ?
    Wondering how they'll handle the mixed environment then. Will it become a 3 step update, so those of us who already got the 2 updates can accept a 3rd to fix whatever was wrong in the first two? Or will we be offered a different update than those who never got the 2 file update to 6.0?
    03-14-2016 11:01 AM
    Same thing happened to mine but it did update it says this is part 1 to install marshmallow.
    03-17-2016 12:45 AM
    I'm having a problem. Marshmallow failed to download. And I can't seem to redownload. I search for update and it says my phone is already updated but clearly says it's not haha. Can I go somewhere and download it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails 6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2-50303.jpg  
    03-30-2016 09:53 AM
    Have you tried Verizon's Software assistant from a PC? That is how I finally got my T2 to get Marshmallow.

found update immediately and install was fairly quick. I was done in less than 20min.

My version is 24.14.11
    04-02-2016 06:40 AM
    I'm having a problem. Marshmallow failed to download. And I can't seem to redownload. I search for update and it says my phone is already updated but clearly says it's not haha. Can I go somewhere and download it?

Read back a few pages/posts and you will find what you need from those who have already been through this . . .

04-02-2016 07:46 AM
    Have you tried Verizon's Software assistant from a PC? That is how I finally got my T2 to get Marshmallow.
    Read back a few pages/posts and you will find what you need from those who have already been through this . . .
    Just be aware if you do this and your phone has a custom startup message, using Software Update Assistant may overwrite the custom message with no way to get it back. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post5098891
    04-02-2016 09:19 AM
    Since we're having this discussion, my turbo 2 still says I'm on current software (5.1.1) are we still in the "rolling out in stages" phase?

04-02-2016 01:16 PM
    No, doesn't seem that way. It's out there for weeks now. Just seems that the upgrade process is flakey. You might have to jump through some hoops, but you can get the upgrade now via the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant.
    04-02-2016 01:52 PM
    Hi,

Again, to echo a user's comment earlier, if you have a custom greeting on the initial splash screen when the device restarts, it will overwrite and delete it. This happened to my son's DT2.

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2
    04-03-2016 06:43 AM
    I updated using the updater on the PC - the damn Google bar is back up top lol how do I get rid of it again? I forgot.
    04-03-2016 09:52 PM
    Verizon confirmed Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 suspended as of March 25, 2016. Sited issues with BT connectivity, 4g calling, micros sd card reading and wired turbo charging. Neither VW or Moto/Lenovo would comment on when roll out of Marshmallow update would resume. Cuts in Motorola Mobility software engineering staff during 2015 have left concerns about expertise of Moto/Lenovo staff to engineer Marshmallow update.
    04-04-2016 12:29 AM
    Verizon confirmed Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 suspended as of March 25, 2016. Sited issues with BT connectivity, 4g calling, micros sd card reading and wired turbo charging. Neither VW or Moto/Lenovo would comment on when roll out of Marshmallow update would resume. Cuts in Motorola Mobility software engineering staff during 2015 have left concerns about expertise of Moto/Lenovo staff to engineer Marshmallow update.
    Curious - what's the source for this? Can you provide a link?
    04-04-2016 05:29 AM
    Verizon tech support told me the same thing, but they didn't get into specifics, just saying that Marshmallow was pulled because of bugs.

What's interesting is, the very next day, I hooked up my Turbo2 to Verizon's Upgrade Assistant via my PC....6.0 was found immediately and I upgraded.

I am experiencing no issues.
    04-04-2016 05:56 AM
    Verizon tech support told me the same thing, but they didn't get into specifics, just saying that Marshmallow was pulled because of bugs.

What's interesting is, the very next day, I hooked up my Turbo2 to Verizon's Upgrade Assistant via my PC....6.0 was found immediately and I upgraded.

I am experiencing no issues.
    I think we've all seen numerous accounts of individual tech support people passing along incorrect info, so I hesitate to accept statements from them as gospel and think it's worth distinguishing these from official statements.

We've got three turbo 2's, all on Marshmallow, with no problems.
    04-04-2016 06:16 AM
    I think we've all seen numerous accounts of individual tech support people passing along incorrect info, so I hesitate to accept statements from them as gospel and think it's worth distinguishing these from official statements.
    While I generally agree, in this case there are plenty of people without Marshmallow right now who are not getting the update pushed, and it's not showing up when checking for an update. Updates to the phone come from Motorola, updates through SUA come through Verizon, so it appears that whoever is in charge of SUA dropped the ball.

The lack of communication about this is appalling, however.
    04-04-2016 09:28 AM
    Totally agree re: communication, and clearly Verizon is a choke point in the release process as it all eventually has to flow through them. One of the reasons I'm not yet convinced that they've formally "pulled" the update is that we started hearing reports of them having done so a couple of weeks ago (don't remember exactly when I first started seeing reports of people quoting Verizon cust svc people stating this). At the time, two of our three DT2's had gotten the update over the air, but one never seemed to get the "offer" to update, and always reported the phone being up to date when we checked it for updates. Despite a handful reporting that the update had been "pulled", I tried using VSUA with my laptop to update the third phone -- repeatedly, trying different cables, making sure I used the laptops's USB 2.0 port, etc -- no joy with this first laptop (Dell XPS 15 / 9530). I then tried the same phone, same cables, on a different laptop (2014 model Lenovo), and on the third try, VSUA actually offered the update, downloaded and installed it to the third DT2. It took a long time, but in the end, worked out perfectly.

Clearly the over-the-air and VSUA processes are buggy and inconsistent. I'm not aware of either having done any harm, but they seem to be poor at offering a consistent and reliable experience for end users. Note, however, that despite stories of Verizon support folks stating the the update had been pulled, with perseverance - and using the official Verizon-provided process - I was able to get the download on the one phone that had given me trouble.

So - this one bit of experience, combined with numerous stories over the years of some Verizon customer service folks passing off folklore as fact (not all, btw - I've spoken with a few very good ones), is what makes me hesitate to accept as fact that the Marshmallow update for the Droid Turbo 2 has, in fact, been pulled. Still supposition, but if I didn't have the update yet, and wanted it, I'd keep trying until Verizon convinced me that it really isn't available right now.
    04-04-2016 11:24 AM
    For those of you with a DT2 who updated to MM and don't have problems consider yourselves lucky. Ever since I updated my phone will not charge rapidly with the car charger that came with the phone. Also, if I try to charge with a USB cable hooked to my computer it actually drains the battery. The only charger that still works is the A/C charger that came with my phone. I have a 30 minute drive home from work, and I use to be able to fully charge the phone on my way home from work in the car. Now it will only charge about 1% every 15-20 minutes. Tried rebooting and every other "fix" posted on the internet and nothing works. I'm hoping for another update that will fix this.
    04-04-2016 12:25 PM
462 ... 1415161718 ...