05-04-2016 01:20 PM
462 ... 1516171819
tools
    I have to ask this..Did you factory reset the Turbo2 after the MM update? That is always recommended when a major Android upgrade is done.
    04-04-2016 01:31 PM
    For those of you with a DT2 who updated to MM and don't have problems consider yourselves lucky. Ever since I updated my phone will not charge rapidly with the car charger that came with the phone. Also, if I try to charge with a USB cable hooked to my computer it actually drains the battery. The only charger that still works is the A/C charger that came with my phone. I have a 30 minute drive home from work, and I use to be able to fully charge the phone on my way home from work in the car. Now it will only charge about 1% every 15-20 minutes. Tried rebooting and every other "fix" posted on the internet and nothing works. I'm hoping for another update that will fix this.
    Sorry to hear this -- no doubt very frustrating. At the risk of rubbing salt in the wound:

Have you tried
    • rebooting into Fastboot and clearing the application cache? (takes only a couple of mins and is non-destructive)
    • a full factory reset on the device? This is more extreme, wiping out all your customization and installed apps - but should leave the phone pristine.
    • Have you verified that you, in fact, have processed both updates, and your current version is 24.14.11.kinzie_verizon.verizon.en.US?

Of course it's possible that something went wrong with your update, but our three DT2's are working beautifully since the update. Battery life is great, wireless charging is fine, etc. If anything, the few limitations and annoyances from the original release are gone.

Also: the "VSUA" (Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant) can also be used as "repair assistant" -- and should be able to do a full reset and cleanup of your device to "like new" status (again, as with the reset above, you'll be left with a phone that knows nothing of you or your applications, as if you just picked it up at the store). If you've tried the options above without luck, I'd consider trying VSUA in "repair assistant" mode.
    04-04-2016 02:18 PM
    I did not do a factory reset, only the soft reboot. I really don't want to have to download all my apps again. I don't know if i even remember all my passwords. Do you lose all your pictures and contacts when you do a factory reset? This is something that I don't want to risk.
    04-04-2016 05:03 PM
    I did not do a factory reset, only the soft reboot. I really don't want to have to download all my apps again. I don't know if i even remember all my passwords. Do you lose all your pictures and contacts when you do a factory reset? This is something that I don't want to risk.
    Yes - factory reset does what it sounds like - wipes everything that you would NOT see in a factory fresh device.

You can back up your photos before doing this - to the "cloud" (Google?) and to your PC. Also, in theory, assuming you have an active Google account (you must with an Android phone) and have backup turned on (Settings / Backup & reset / Back up my data - set to ON), then Google would download your apps when you first log the phone in again after a reset. BUT...that doesn't always work - so it's good to be cautious. Manually starting up the download / install for several dozen apps (I have about 110 installed) is tedious, to say the least). I'm assuming there are other backup / phone transfer apps that might be able to ease this for you if a factory reset is warranted. Certainly worth some research if it can save you a few tedious hours.

Did you check your Android version to make sure you're upgraded all the way to 24.14.11? As I mentioned earlier, if you only applied update 1 of 2, then following up with the 2nd update might make all the difference for you. Definitely worth looking before you do anything else.

Also - if you didn't try wiping the app cache yet, it's pretty quick and easy to do, and would be the next thing I recommend trying. We can walk you through it.
    04-04-2016 05:14 PM
    Yes, I wiped the app cache and I do have the latest version.
    04-04-2016 07:02 PM
    Google will restore you apps and passwords if you chose to backup that information.

You can use Google Pictures to backup and re-download your pictures. Your Google account will have your contacts if you specified the contacts to be synced.
    04-04-2016 10:12 PM
    I don't use my Google account, so I have no idea how to do any of that. It also still sounds like a major pain.
    04-04-2016 10:42 PM
    I don't use my Google account, so I have no idea how to do any of that. It also still sounds like a major pain.
    It is a piece of cake. If you don't want to try, good luck.
    04-04-2016 10:46 PM
    Well, I went ahead and braved a backup and here are the results:

1) Wasted 3 hours of my time
    2) Lost all my contacts in the process
    3) The problem did not fix itself, it fact it got worse.

Now when I plug the phone via USB into a computer it actually drains the battery even though it says it's charging via USB. The percentage meter keeps going down.

The car charger that came with the phone still charges extremely slowly. In fact the phones says, "Slow charging-use the charger that came with the phone to charge faster", Note to phone: I AM using the charger that came with the phone! (It charged about 2% in 40 minutes)

The only charger that is working normal is the A/C charger that plugs into the wall which never was a problem. So if anyone else who is having this problem reads this DO NOT bother with a factory reset. We will just have to wait until Marshmallow comes out with an update and hope for the best.
    04-05-2016 07:58 PM
    All that sounds too dramatic.. if that is real...you have a device problem.
    04-05-2016 08:13 PM
    The turbo 2 doesn't come with a car charger. If you bought one at the same time, it was sold as a separate item.

It's not unusual for a computer USB port to have current that is too low to charge today's smartphones. It's really not good practice to charge your phone from a computer- it should always be from a wall port or wireless charger whenever possible.

I'd return the car charger and see if they have a Qualcomm quick charging car charger. If not, then get one that is at least 6 watt.
    jonstrong likes this.
    04-05-2016 08:14 PM
    Forgot...I am the Director of IT at a Media company. I deal with 200+ cell phones and tablets. Backing up contacts and restoring devices is a daily occurrence.

It really is a piece of cake.
    04-05-2016 08:31 PM
    Well, I went ahead and braved a backup and here are the results:

1) Wasted 3 hours of my time
    2) Lost all my contacts in the process
    3) The problem did not fix itself, it fact it got worse.

Now when I plug the phone via USB into a computer it actually drains the battery even though it says it's charging via USB. The percentage meter keeps going down.

The car charger that came with the phone still charges extremely slowly. In fact the phones says, "Slow charging-use the charger that came with the phone to charge faster", Note to phone: I AM using the charger that came with the phone! (It charged about 2% in 40 minutes)

The only charger that is working normal is the A/C charger that plugs into the wall which never was a problem. So if anyone else who is having this problem reads this DO NOT bother with a factory reset. We will just have to wait until Marshmallow comes out with an update and hope for the best.
    Sorry to see this. Curious though: I don't recall a car charger coming with my Turbo 2. The AC adapter / charger from Motorola has a permanently attached cable. I'm really curious now about the make and model of your car charger and any other chargers you've used. Ideally they should provide 2A output. Also, assuming you're using an aftermarket cable, these can make a huge difference - from failure to success.

Can you fill us in re the car charger, aftermarket wall charger and the cables?

BTW: I'm using after market chargers as well as the original Motorola charger, but made sure they are Qualcomm certified QC 2.0 25 watt capacity chargers (both the wall and car charger); I picked them up from Verizon (very nice quality). These work quite well, and come with excellent heavy cables too.
    doogald likes this.
    04-05-2016 08:32 PM
    Forgot...I am the Director of IT at a Media company. I deal with 200+ cell phones and tablets. Backing up contacts and restoring devices is a daily occurrence.

It really is a piece of cake.
    It might be a piece of cake for you, but obviously I am not as smart as you. I don't use the Cloud with Verizon and didn't realize that all my music & photos had already been backed up so hence the Cloud was "full". So I asked for it to back up contacts, but since I didn't realize my cloud was full it didn't.

All I know about the car charger is that when I got my DT2 the Verizon salesperson sold me a car charger that says "Verizon" on it and he said that I should only use the DT2 with THAT car charger. He said other car chargers wouldn't work because of the turbo charge feature.

Finally, I had absolutely no problems with this phone "until" the Marshmallow update. The charging issue happened right after the update and as noted on another Lenovo thread a lot of other people are having the exact same issue. I don't know if you can post links in this forum but if you can here is the link to the other thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-T...e/td-p/3261260
    04-05-2016 09:48 PM
    I was on a support chat and the rep advised the update had been pulled due to issues and that there was no ETR.
    04-06-2016 04:13 PM
    Agent just told me update was pulled on 3/28...after a previous agent told me to do a factory reset to try to force the update. This is the stuff that makes me question switching back to android.
    04-07-2016 09:23 AM
    Agent just told me update was pulled on 3/28...after a previous agent told me to do a factory reset to try to force the update. This is the stuff that makes me question switching back to android.
    Android is fine for updates IF you buy a Nexus phone. They are updated now on a monthly basis at least with security patches, if not version updates, and get version updates sooner than other phones. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer of the phone and the carrier, for carrier-specific models like the Droid brand.
    04-07-2016 11:11 AM
    Android is fine for updates IF you buy a Nexus phone. They are updated now on a monthly basis at least with security patches, if not version updates, and get version updates sooner than other phones. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer of the phone and the carrier, for carrier-specific models like the Droid brand.
    Yeah, but I don't want a 6" phone. The DT2 is the biggest phone I have ever owned, and I would prefer a phone slightly smaller -- say 5". And the Nexus 5X is NOT a top tier phone.
    04-07-2016 11:44 AM
    Yeah, but I don't want a 6" phone. The DT2 is the biggest phone I have ever owned, and I would prefer a phone slightly smaller -- say 5". And the Nexus 5X is NOT a top tier phone.
    So, you decided which is more important - updates or the features and size that you want at high end specs.

The Nexus 6p is not a 6" phone - it is 5.7". But, yes, it is a little longer than the Turbo 2. I agree that the T2 is too big, so I'd really have to compromise to use a 6p.

If you buy a Droid brand phone, you have to expect that its just not going to get all that many updates, and updates that come will come later than other phones (particularly Nexuses). The Droid brand has a history of late updates, no updates, and very few updates per model with only one exception (the 2013 Droids received a very buggy KitKat update very early compared with other phones - a month behind year-old Nexuses - with the caveat that it took six months for the next update to come to fix those bugs.)

I do hope that whatever the Nexus line is this year, that it includes a premium version of a 5" or so display.
    04-07-2016 12:07 PM
    I do hope that whatever the Nexus line is this year, that it includes a premium version of a 5" or so display.
    Yeah, I looked at the Nexus 5X before I bought the DT2. The DT2 is decent, but not no world beater and I do think it's better than the 5X. Huawei isn't selling their new P9 (5.2") phone in the U.S. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe that's because it's going to be the replacement for the Nexus 5X.

The Iphone SE is selling well -- as it is probably the number 3 selling phone in the world only trailing it's larger siblings. Hopefully, someone will come out with a flagship quality factory unlocked Android 5" phone this year.
    04-07-2016 08:01 PM
    For those having charging issues I was having similar problems: phone would only charge wirelessly, any USB charging would have lighting bolt but when looking at battery stats would say "not charging".

My phone would only charge via the USB port if the phone was off.

I turned my "developer options" on and then cleared partition cache and then a hard restart; and then turned my developer options off.

Now my phone is back to charging normally (turbo changing, car charger, etc. all work).

There was obviously some type of software glitch on my phone since it charged properly when off.
    jonstrong and doogald like this.
    04-08-2016 10:58 AM
    For those having charging issues I was having similar problems: phone would only charge wirelessly, any USB charging would have lighting bolt but when looking at battery stats would say "not charging".

My phone would only charge via the USB port if the phone was off.

I turned my "developer options" on and then cleared partition cache and then a hard restart; and then turned my developer options off.

Now my phone is back to charging normally (turbo changing, car charger, etc. all work).

There was obviously some type of software glitch on my phone since it charged properly when off.

Where do you find developer options?
    04-08-2016 12:20 PM
    If you dont know how to activate Developer Options..you should stay away from them. Just saying.. 😀
    04-08-2016 12:25 PM
    You need to enable them first. Go to settings - about phone and tap 7 times on the build number.
    doogald likes this.
    04-08-2016 12:25 PM
    Under settings, two up from the very bottom of the menu
    04-08-2016 12:26 PM
462 ... 1516171819