6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

Josh Crosby

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been Googling for months now waiting for the update to 6.0 and it's driving me crazy having to wait so ridiculously long. Anyone seen or heard anything about when the Marshmallow update is coming?

Have even chatted with Motorola and Verizon chat reps online and they were predictably unhelpful.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
re: When is Droid Turbo 2 getting Marshmallow?

They will never tell when it is coming until it is coming. It's truly a waste of time to try to find out, and you'll never get a real answer from chat reps - one, they don't know, so, two, anything they tell you is a lie.

It will come when it is ready and Verizon is ready to have it pushed. You'll probably know it's close when you start seeing news reports of a soak test for new Turbo 2 software (though it could always be something else, like a minor update to add WiFi calling.) The invitations for soak tests usually come about a week before the soak test, and soak tests last anywhere from a day or two to a week. Sometimes the soak test fails and they have to pull the update.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I hope that it does not take as long as it did for the Turbo 1 to get Lollipop, which was July 2015. If so, we have a long wait ahead. If you want in on future Soak tests, join the Motorola Feedback Network (MFN.) Here's a link to register your T1, and sign up for the Network.
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/77d4221775

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have been Googling for months now waiting for the update to 6.0 and it's driving me crazy having to wait so ridiculously long. Anyone seen or heard anything about when the Marshmallow update is coming?

Have even chatted with Motorola and Verizon chat reps online and they were predictably unhelpful.

Exactly what features are you waiting on?

I'm always fascinated with the frustration and hand wringing that precedes software updates.

It is always the same progression:

"WHERE IS THE UPDATE?!?! WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?!?!"
"My step brother has a Nexus from 2012 and he got it already. Where is mine?"
"SOAK TEST!! Let me start obsessively hitting the software update button"
"No update in Montgomery, AL"
"Downloading NOW! Should I do a hard reset?"
"Updated. (Screen shot) I don't see much difference"
"BUGS!!! Why did they release it before it was ready? Should I hard reset?"
"Hard Reset! How can I get my contacts back?"
"How can I go back to previous version. It ran sooooo much better!"
"They just released a new version!!! They should call it "Oreo"...
"WHERE IS THE UPDATE?!?! WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?!?!"

T

gotroot801

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I can't speak for OP, but I love having more granular permissions for apps on my Nexus 7 (and my older phones that ran Cyanogenmod), so getting that for the DT2 would be sweet.

sava700

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

I used to get the latest tester updates of the OS from Motorola with their tester program.
I've not signed on with this phone yet prob won't as the others didn't do much when I had my razr maxx anyway.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Annnnnnnd then it got pulled....... Sounds like Verizon posted the page then pulled it. This is promising and I'm guessing we'll get it at anytime.

Josh Crosby

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site

Doze is the biggest one. Have been really disappointed with the battery life on the DT2, and having used a phone with Doze before, can say it made a huge difference. App permissions is another big one as well as the general nice improvements on sharing and a few other workflows.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site

I just read on news360 that marshmellow is rolling out now to turbo 2 and other phones

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Those of you who get Marshmallow how many GB's does it use to update & install? Also why does every app require the phone to not sleep?

Posted via Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Not a Marshmallow expert but the Doze feature wants to shut everything down to save battery. You select what you don't want shut down. Think you only have to do it once.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Not a Marshmallow expert but the Doze feature wants to shut everything down to save battery. You select what you don't want shut down. Think you only have to do it once.
You think this is similar to hitting the Force Stop button?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You think this is similar to hitting the Force Stop button?

It is definitely not. Doze is a low power mode that does not close apps but suspends them while allowing high priority apps to still alert you (sms messages, phone calls, etc.) The phone will have to be truly idle, though; carrying in your pocket (or a belt case or similar) will not allow the phone to be idle enough to go into doze.

See Inside Marshmallow: What is Doze, how do I use it and what does it do? | Android Central

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

I also think that if you have a smart watch connected to it through Android Wear, it won't go into Doze mode. Again, I'm not sure about that, so I may be wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz