6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
While we're waiting for marshmallow here, can I ask how you all like your screen? I'm pretty close to ordering the dt2 and keep reading about how soft the screen is. Some have said put on a screen protector but it already has 5 layers, does that affect clarity? And I've read that the many layers make it kinda dull or not so vibrant, how have you found it to be?
Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

It's a fine display. While it's further from the surface than say a Samsung display, clarity is not affected and it's very vibrant and sharp. Touch sensitivity and slipperiness is a bit worse than with a real glass screen but you won't notice it unless you use two phones side by side. It is also very easily scratched, I got a micro scratch on mine the first time I took it out of my pocket. Use a screen protector for sure.

Still, as good of a phone as this is, this Verizon update BS still drove me to switch to another phone.

Posted via my up-to-date Nexus 6P

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Since you said "actually"- no phone ever shipped with Honeycomb - it was tablet only.

The Droid Maxx shipped with Jellybean. I'm sure that you mean the Droid Razr (which was followed a few weeks later by the Razr Maxx, which pissed a lot of people off who bought the Razr not knowing it was coming with a larger battery.) It came with Gingerbread.

I'm still mad about that too! If memory serves me correctly they released the Razr and within a month or so they came out with the Razr Maxx. The Razr battery was weak for the LTE radio.

Unfortunately, I'm a glutton for punishment because I keep buying their phones.........

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
While we're waiting for marshmallow here, can I ask how you all like your screen? I'm pretty close to ordering the dt2 and keep reading about how soft the screen is. Some have said put on a screen protector but it already has 5 layers, does that affect clarity? And I've read that the many layers make it kinda dull or not so vibrant, how have you found it to be?
Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

I've had tempered glass screen protector on since minute one, looks great and no issues at all, didn't notice a difference from unboxing to the Verizon guy putting the screen protector on, but I also didn't play with it in between, just observing while it sat on the counter.

Posted by the Droid Turbo 2 authored by its Human!!!

Pinzgauer

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Also, as I have said before, updates are rolled out, so do not be surprised to learn that some people have it but your phone says it's not available.
So are you saying that you know for a fact the update is rolling out out? Not just a soak test?

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying that you know for a fact the update is rolling out out? Not just a soak test?
No, I'm just saying that when it does start, if it hasn't already, it may be several days before your phone is allowed to get the update when you check for updates.

I'd say that it's doubtful that it started on Tuesday. By now *somebody* who posts here would have it. The more likely explanation is that Verizon has approved it, so they updated their page, but Motorola still wants to make sure that it's good to go by seeing how their soak test goes, or they're not ready to release it for some other reason.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm still mad about that too! If memory serves me correctly they released the Razr and within a month or so they came out with the Razr Maxx. The Razr battery was weak for the LTE radio.

Unfortunately, I'm a glutton for punishment because I keep buying their phones.........

Not to mention all of the people who bought a Bionic in September and October who saw the Razr come out in November and Razr Maxx in January. If you think things are bad now, Motorola was pretty badly managed back then.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI to everybody - pressing the check for update button will do a check, but, if the update is not available for your phone, it will only check once a day. After that first time, it will keep saying it's not available. Checking several times a day is just wasting your time.

Also, as I have said before, updates are rolled out, so do not be surprised to learn that some people have it but your phone says it's not available.

IIRC, if we're in the "push" phase, checking for updates won't do you any good unless your IMEI is included in the current batch they're pushing too.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So many parts of this conversation sound like my twelve-year-old son who constantly creates fairness tests for everything in an attempt to know if situations aren't fair or people are hypocrites. In the end, he only succeeds in generating excuses to get cheesed off on principle.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Note 5 owners are getting their update(saw on XDA), announced after DT2. Now the phone I left, the M8 is scheduled for the seventh. Who wants to bet, M8 owners report theirs first?

Waiting for the down playing comments.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously - anybody who wants timely android updates should never buy a Droid brand phone. They have a long, long history of late or abandoned updates, starting with the OG Droid. It's been five plus years of mostly disappointments. You all either knew that, or should have (caveat emptor), when you bought the phone.

All of you complaining are right - Motorola could and should do better. But we've long known that they don't.

The update will come when it comes. Some of you will be happy, some of you will start grumbling because it's buggy, or doesn't improve battery life enough, etc. Hopefully there will be a lot more of the former than the latter.

But, it's coming. The release notes are a clear indication that it's almost here. Be patient.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously - anybody who wants timely android updates should never buy a Droid brand phone. They have a long, long history of late or abandoned updates, starting with the OG Droid. It's been five plus years of mostly disappointments. You all either knew that, or should have (caveat emptor), when you bought the phone.

All of you complaining are right - Motorola could and should do better. But we've long known that they don't.

The update will come when it comes. Some of you will be happy, some of you will start grumbling because it's buggy, or doesn't improve battery life enough, etc. Hopefully there will be a lot more of the former than the latter.

But, it's coming. The release notes are a clear indication that it's almost here. Be patient.

Not even a DROID phone. Don't buy carrier phones if OS updates are high on list of phone requirements.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Since you said "actually"- no phone ever shipped with Honeycomb - it was tablet only.

The Droid Maxx shipped with Jellybean. I'm sure that you mean the Droid Razr (which was followed a few weeks later by the Razr Maxx, which pissed a lot of people off who bought the Razr not knowing it was coming with a larger battery.) It came with Gingerbread.

Correct the Razr Maxx was the original "Maxx"...handed mine down to a relative & he's still running it. Mine did ship with Honeycomb - guess it may have depended on the purchase date.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Correct the Razr Maxx was the original "Maxx"...handed mine down to a relative & he's still running it. Mine did ship with Honeycomb - guess it may have depended on the purchase date.

No. No phone came with Honeycomb. No phone was upgraded to Honeycomb. You have your Android OS version names confused.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Not even a DROID phone. Don't buy carrier phones if OS updates are high on list of phone requirements.

Not even any phone. Those of us who bought the Galaxy Nexus know that no matter what updates can be late and even Google can decide 18 months is long enough.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
It's not about getting the update as quick as possible that's bothering me, but the delivery it's self.

You walk by a store and see a special on the window.

You go inside to check it out, only to find no special.

You ask the clerk about the special and he says "well it's not here yet".

You ask when will it be here and clerk says "I don't know, could be now, could be next week, could be next month.

So then you start to ask why the special is on the window but change your mind and go somewhere else.

This is what bothers me.