6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking for a software update to help with battery life it typically won't.
Most of us know this but I will state it again. 3 things majorly affect your battery life
1. Bad cell reception
2. Syncing date (whether foreground or in the background)
3. Screen on time.
For #1 if you are in going to be in a bad area for a while put your phone in airport mode until you are in a better area.
For #2 check and regulate how often apps sync your information and set them for the minimum you can live with.
For #3 adjust the brightness down, set your time out screen to the minimum you can live with, and when you are done looking at the screen press the power button to shut off screen (don't wait for it to time out.
Things that have minimal effect on the battery are Bluetooth,WiFi, and GPS location. Turning them on and off will not give you any significant gain.
JMHO

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for a software update to help with battery life it typically won't.
Most of us know this but I will state it again. 3 things majorly affect your battery life
Great post. Also, The Wirecutter in conjunction with the NY Times recently did a big study about how to best manage smartphone battery time, which reiterates all of these points, plus some others. The myths at the end are also important to read.

More summary: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/t...t-extending-smartphone-battery-life.html?_r=0
More detail: What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the sync advice above makes sense but I'm having a tough time finding the sync settings! Under the individual app settings (like Outlook or Pushbullet), I can't find any sync settings!

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the sync advice above makes sense but I'm having a tough time finding the sync settings! Under the individual app settings (like Outlook or Pushbullet), I can't find any sync settings!

You can start with settings; accounts. That will give you some options. For mail go to the app, scroll down to settings. There will be some options in there for ya, or should be.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I see that under the accounts settings there is a single option to turn off auto sync data for all apps. I remember my Galaxy S4 had the option for each individual app to either auto sync or manual sync and if auto was selected, how frequent.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I see that under the accounts settings there is a single option to turn off auto sync data for all apps. I remember my Galaxy S4 had the option for each individual app to either auto sync or manual sync and if auto was selected, how frequent.

Yeah I'm coming for a note 4 and it seemed there were more options to select from as far as hours, sync or not sync at all BUT that could've been and probably was an android update thing.

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with technical support and Michael out of the Alabama Support Center said that the marshmallow update will be released March 13th 2016. Apparently they had some problems with it.

Last edited:

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with technical support and Michael out of the Alabama Support Center said that the marshmallow update wwill be released March 13th 2016. Apparently they had some problems with it.

Not holding my breath on account of Michael's statement...but I'll probably stop punching the "check for updates" button over the coming week... thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Are you using Outlook for Exchange mail, or is the account POP3 or IMAP? Exchange by definition is push sync.

Pushbullet is also by definition push, not scheduled sync. What are you using Pushbullet to do? Can you live without it?

As I understand PB, it shouldn't consume a lot of battery, but it can in certain cases, and any app like this that is always running in the background is going to use battery. One case where it can use a lot of battery fast is if you have an app that keeps a persistent notification in the tray, but you can turn that app's notification sync off in PB settings, as I understand it. But, if you can live without PB, you may want to think about it. I'd think about uninstalling for a few days and see if you notice a significant battery difference. Unfortunately, because PB is almost always running in the background, it doesn't get reported as battery usage by the app but by Android OS or Android System - I can't remember which.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah they had to release system version 24.14.11 (previous 24.14.10). There were minor flaws such as some bluetooth connectivity issues, and speed of long press copy/paste to display. Doze mode is absolutely ridiculous. My phone drains single digit percents overnight or when not in use, and its baked into the OS automatically. You have the ability to optimize apps in battery settings. No more **** dials, when u press call you have to press again to confirm, the calling was a bit sensitive, I've had calls go through when putting my phone away too many times. Thats just a little spoiler. You have to wait until the final release to see the rest. Motorola, when they release Software, does it right. No other brand does private soak tests, so when it releases, it will be fully baked and more welcomed.

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah they had to release system version 24.14.11 (previous 24.14.10). There were minor flaws such as some bluetooth connectivity issues, and speed of long press copy/paste to display. Doze mode is absolutely ridiculous. My phone drains single digit percents overnight or when not in use, and its baked into the OS automatically. You have the ability to optimize apps in battery settings. No more **** dials, when u press call you have to press again to confirm, the calling was a bit sensitive, I've had calls go through when putting my phone away too many times. Thats just a little spoiler. You have to wait until the final release to see the rest. Motorola, when they release Software, does it right. No other brand does private soak tests, so when it releases, it will be fully baked and more welcomed.

Is there a expected release date for us that are not in the soak test?
I dont mind waiting, just dont want to be told that its available when its really not :(

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there a expected release date for us that are not in the soak test?
I dont mind waiting, just dont want to be told that its available when its really not :(

Final release gets pushed to Vzw Moto phones between one and two weeks after soak test goes out. Since we got an update patch towards the end of the the soak, it most likely reset that time frame. I'm confident by next week the latest it will be released as an OTA.

No WiFi calling in this update which rly sucks......... they said Vzw didn't enable it for our phones which makes absolutely no sense...

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Simple hardware issue re: Galaxy Nexus.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Hardware issue or not, there were updates that non-nexus phones got first.
I think my point stands. There's no promise of a timely update on anything ever.
Be grateful for what you get, and think about something else while you wait. Hopefully something important.

wil3

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Guys, GOT IT, yay! :) I'm not a soak tester. Part one of two is now installing on my DT2 (XT1585). Seems that OTA is out for everyone :)
Screenshot_2016-03-08-18-01-02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech