6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Why do I need wifi to update my phone
The second update file is a little over a gig to download and Verizon let's that count towards your data. I'm guessing to they don't hear people all the time complaining about going over their data due to updates they won't let you download large update files at all anymore over their network.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Got it on my Turbo 2, but why oh why is it 6.0 and not 6.0.1?! I want my middle finger emoji! Oh well, I have my other phone for that.

Posted via the Crimson Black Nexus 6P

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's March security patch level, right?

(Remember when people complained about it not being out March 1, and now it's got the latest patch and there were reportedly problems fixed? I assume that everyone is fine with waiting a week now.)

jasonmhanes

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Marshmallow update available...do I back anything up first ?

So new to android phones, my droid turbo 2 is my first . Came from iPhones that lasted about 4 hours before needing a charge so decided to make the switch

I just got the marshmallow update and have not yet installed it. I am new to these phones so my question is do I need to back up or save anything before doing the update? I've see. Some people say they've done a wipe or something, not sure what that means...

If anyone has any info as to what I need to do or if I just go ahead and click on the update and let it run. I am Leary because every time Apple had an update for my iPhone it seemed like it made battery life worse. I don't want that to happen w this phone because it lasts me 1.5-2 days on a charge and I think that is amazing

Thanks in advance

weatherlover1

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow update available...do I back anything up first ?

I normally don't back up when I update. All my picture automatically save in the cloud. If I have a program or two that does backups I will do that before I upgrade. My battery life seems better since I updated yesterday so I would not worry about that too much. I don't do a factory reset unless I have problems after I upgrade and so far my phone seems faster and running smoother.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
It's March security patch level, right?

(Remember when people complained about it not being out March 1, and now it's got the latest patch and there were reportedly problems fixed? I assume that everyone is fine with waiting a week now.)

Nope. Release it when you post it. That was the problem with me and maybe others.
If there is an issue to where they needed to delay for further testing, how hard is it for a little heads up?

So this thread got a week's worth of complaints because of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

Hi,
I use the usual backups with Google to keep my contacts and such available in case of something going wrong. The upgrade is pretty smooth and battery life for me is about the same.

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

My upgrade went off without a hitch.

But then I don't have much of anything on my phone that isn't already saved to the cloud, as you never know when you might damage or lose your phone. And sometimes updates do fail....

Gmanmonster

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Was hoping that the Smart Lock "Home" location would get fixed - apparently it wasn't, my phone still doesn't know when I am at home. They really should add a wifi router as a recognized device

wil3

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Was hoping that the Smart Lock "Home" location would get fixed - apparently it wasn't, my phone still doesn't know when I am at home. They really should add a wifi router as a recognized device

My home location is recognized correctly by smart lock. It always did when I was connected to home WiFi.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

As others have said, you shouldn't need to - but it sure won't hurt to make sure that any photos/videos are backed up somewhere else, just in case.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I didn't back up anything before updating and all was there when I was done. You do need to back up anything you have on the SD card if you chose to format it to the new internal drive setup, but that is something you would have to go in and intentionally select. Doesn't happen automatically.

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

I didn't back up anything before updating and all was there when I was done. You do need to back up anything you have on the SD card if you chose to format it to the new internal drive setup, but that is something you would have to go in and intentionally select. Doesn't happen automatically.

Hey,

Glad you mentioned backing up the SD card. I almost forgot about that. Good job!

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Go into Settings, Scroll down to "Backup & reset", select "Factory data reset"

EDIT...or did you mean, an easy way to backup contents / apps to simplify restore?

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Got it on my Turbo 2, but why oh why is it 6.0 and not 6.0.1?! I want my middle finger emoji! Oh well, I have my other phone for that.

I started using Textra instead of the default messaging app (also tried Google messaging and Verizon's app -- both fine, but I like Textra better). Textra allows you to add emoji libraries via plugins. I believe they offer Android, Twitter, iOS, Emoji One, but I think you're limited to using one such "emoji style" at a time. I selected the Android style, and it appears to be offering the latest and greatest - so I could, for example send myself a middle finger text emoji.

Using Textra only gives you the new emoji's within SMS or MMS -- not a universal part of the OS, but it covers most use cases. Turned out I really like Textra too...