6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
As I posted previously, I had issues with this OS update. I have read the replies here and it seems quite possible I can get the update by simply following the posted instructions of others. I'm a bit boggled by those who are unhappy about not getting the update but who also don't follow the very simple-to-try instructions of others. I myself haven't followed the very helpful instructions because I don't really need the update and have concerns (as usual) about the changes to something that works for me. Perhaps the posted instructions only apply to Verizon customers? That would, of course, account for others not trying the suggest procedure.

I believe I can get the update at any time by following the instructions of others (I use Verizon) but haven't yet done so as I have previously experienced the "ecstasy" of doing an update and then being very peeved at the changes (that I didn't like) made for the nothing more than the sake of change itself and of no real value or understandable reason other than justifying some *****'s salary. (Much like many changes made by Microsoft over the years.) I now know - thanks to those who have posted above - how to initiate and complete the 'upgrade" to Marshmallow. I will just wait a bit longer to initiate that upgrade while reading the informative posts of those who have either bravely, or precipitately, gone ahead at the first instance of availability.

NOTE: I am, of course, one of those who tried, at first opportunity, to update. I may be fortunate in having had that update fail. While I'm sure I will update in the future, I may well be better off waiting and reading about the experiences of those who jumped directly into the new experience. :)

bama stripes

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Spt, my OS update failed, and subsequent attempts refect " your phone is up to date ". The 2nd tier support rep said that Verizon has pulled the update because of problems and it would be made available again shortly. Has anyone else heard this ?

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Spt, my OS update failed, and subsequent attempts refect " your phone is up to date ". The 2nd tier support rep said that Verizon has pulled the update because of problems and it would be made available again shortly. Has anyone else heard this ?

Wondering how they'll handle the mixed environment then. Will it become a 3 step update, so those of us who already got the 2 updates can accept a 3rd to fix whatever was wrong in the first two? Or will we be offered a different update than those who never got the 2 file update to 6.0?

Jason Huonder

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having a problem. Marshmallow failed to download. And I can't seem to redownload. I search for update and it says my phone is already updated but clearly says it's not haha. Can I go somewhere and download it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 50303.jpg
    50303.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 109

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Verizon's Software assistant from a PC? That is how I finally got my T2 to get Marshmallow.

found update immediately and install was fairly quick. I was done in less than 20min.

My version is 24.14.11

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a problem. Marshmallow failed to download. And I can't seem to redownload. I search for update and it says my phone is already updated but clearly says it's not haha. Can I go somewhere and download it?

Read back a few pages/posts and you will find what you need from those who have already been through this . . .

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Verizon's Software assistant from a PC? That is how I finally got my T2 to get Marshmallow.

Read back a few pages/posts and you will find what you need from those who have already been through this . . .

Just be aware if you do this and your phone has a custom startup message, using Software Update Assistant may overwrite the custom message with no way to get it back. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ate-has-happened-anyone-else.html#post5098891

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Since we're having this discussion, my turbo 2 still says I'm on current software (5.1.1) are we still in the "rolling out in stages" phase?

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
No, doesn't seem that way. It's out there for weeks now. Just seems that the upgrade process is flakey. You might have to jump through some hoops, but you can get the upgrade now via the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant.

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Again, to echo a user's comment earlier, if you have a custom greeting on the initial splash screen when the device restarts, it will overwrite and delete it. This happened to my son's DT2.

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Droidkin

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon confirmed Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 suspended as of March 25, 2016. Sited issues with BT connectivity, 4g calling, micros sd card reading and wired turbo charging. Neither VW or Moto/Lenovo would comment on when roll out of Marshmallow update would resume. Cuts in Motorola Mobility software engineering staff during 2015 have left concerns about expertise of Moto/Lenovo staff to engineer Marshmallow update.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon confirmed Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 suspended as of March 25, 2016. Sited issues with BT connectivity, 4g calling, micros sd card reading and wired turbo charging. Neither VW or Moto/Lenovo would comment on when roll out of Marshmallow update would resume. Cuts in Motorola Mobility software engineering staff during 2015 have left concerns about expertise of Moto/Lenovo staff to engineer Marshmallow update.
Curious - what's the source for this? Can you provide a link?

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon tech support told me the same thing, but they didn't get into specifics, just saying that Marshmallow was pulled because of bugs.

What's interesting is, the very next day, I hooked up my Turbo2 to Verizon's Upgrade Assistant via my PC....6.0 was found immediately and I upgraded.

I am experiencing no issues.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon tech support told me the same thing, but they didn't get into specifics, just saying that Marshmallow was pulled because of bugs.

What's interesting is, the very next day, I hooked up my Turbo2 to Verizon's Upgrade Assistant via my PC....6.0 was found immediately and I upgraded.

I am experiencing no issues.
I think we've all seen numerous accounts of individual tech support people passing along incorrect info, so I hesitate to accept statements from them as gospel and think it's worth distinguishing these from official statements.

We've got three turbo 2's, all on Marshmallow, with no problems.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I think we've all seen numerous accounts of individual tech support people passing along incorrect info, so I hesitate to accept statements from them as gospel and think it's worth distinguishing these from official statements.

While I generally agree, in this case there are plenty of people without Marshmallow right now who are not getting the update pushed, and it's not showing up when checking for an update. Updates to the phone come from Motorola, updates through SUA come through Verizon, so it appears that whoever is in charge of SUA dropped the ball.

The lack of communication about this is appalling, however.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree re: communication, and clearly Verizon is a choke point in the release process as it all eventually has to flow through them. One of the reasons I'm not yet convinced that they've formally "pulled" the update is that we started hearing reports of them having done so a couple of weeks ago (don't remember exactly when I first started seeing reports of people quoting Verizon cust svc people stating this). At the time, two of our three DT2's had gotten the update over the air, but one never seemed to get the "offer" to update, and always reported the phone being up to date when we checked it for updates. Despite a handful reporting that the update had been "pulled", I tried using VSUA with my laptop to update the third phone -- repeatedly, trying different cables, making sure I used the laptops's USB 2.0 port, etc -- no joy with this first laptop (Dell XPS 15 / 9530). I then tried the same phone, same cables, on a different laptop (2014 model Lenovo), and on the third try, VSUA actually offered the update, downloaded and installed it to the third DT2. It took a long time, but in the end, worked out perfectly.

Clearly the over-the-air and VSUA processes are buggy and inconsistent. I'm not aware of either having done any harm, but they seem to be poor at offering a consistent and reliable experience for end users. Note, however, that despite stories of Verizon support folks stating the the update had been pulled, with perseverance - and using the official Verizon-provided process - I was able to get the download on the one phone that had given me trouble.

So - this one bit of experience, combined with numerous stories over the years of some Verizon customer service folks passing off folklore as fact (not all, btw - I've spoken with a few very good ones), is what makes me hesitate to accept as fact that the Marshmallow update for the Droid Turbo 2 has, in fact, been pulled. Still supposition, but if I didn't have the update yet, and wanted it, I'd keep trying until Verizon convinced me that it really isn't available right now.

Last edited:

Rockindaddy

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
For those of you with a DT2 who updated to MM and don't have problems consider yourselves lucky. Ever since I updated my phone will not charge rapidly with the car charger that came with the phone. Also, if I try to charge with a USB cable hooked to my computer it actually drains the battery. The only charger that still works is the A/C charger that came with my phone. I have a 30 minute drive home from work, and I use to be able to fully charge the phone on my way home from work in the car. Now it will only charge about 1% every 15-20 minutes. Tried rebooting and every other "fix" posted on the internet and nothing works. I'm hoping for another update that will fix this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance