Droid Turbo 2 vs Nexus 6p

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion the D2 is far superior to the Nexus 6p. I have a phone with a shatterproof screen. The size and ergonomics are the same, as is the processor, ram and display. I have expandable memory and wireless charging and soon will be getting Marshmallow from Verizon. The Moto software is helpful and minimalist. The battery is huge and lasts all day plus. The camera is probably better than the N6p. This phone is so good, my Iphone 6s plus has been sitting idle from the day I got the D2. If you are thinking about the Nexus 6p vs the Droid Turbo 2, there is no contest. In my book it is also superior to the Iphone 6S Plus.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree on all points. I, too, prefer the Turbo 2 to the 6p. That said, the 6p wins in two primary areas. First, it will always get software updates first directly from Google. We are tied to Verizon's release. Second, the Turbo 2 is kind of ugly from the front. It doesn't really bother me, but I could see it mattering to some people.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the D2 is far superior to the Nexus 6p. I have a phone with a shatterproof screen. The size and ergonomics are the same, as is the processor, ram and display. I have expandable memory and wireless charging and soon will be getting Marshmallow from Verizon. The Moto software is helpful and minimalist. The battery is huge and lasts all day plus. The camera is probably better than the N6p. This phone is so good, my Iphone 6s plus has been sitting idle from the day I got the D2. If you are thinking about the Nexus 6p vs the Droid Turbo 2, there is no contest. In my book it is also superior to the Iphone 6S Plus.

There is a large section of the phone geek population that wants a Nexus for the quick updates. Additionally, Moto was really slow to update the T1 to LP and if I am not mistaken the Maxx is still on KK (I know mine still is), despite Moto's promise to update that phone. So for those people, the Nexus is superior.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
There is a large section of the phone geek population that wants a Nexus for the quick updates. Additionally, Moto was really slow to update the T1 to LP and if I am not mistaken the Maxx is still on KK (I know mine still is), despite Moto's promise to update that phone. So for those people, the Nexus is superior.

The slowness for the updates is probably mostly Verizon. Moto is determined to update before they are folded completely into Lenovo.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
We should all buy the phones that are best for us.

The update issue is one huge plus for the 6p and the iPhones. Those phones have and will get a handful of updates, including security patches, before the turbo 2 gets marshmallow, and will continue to get them. You say marshmallow is coming soon, but nobody knows how soon. So, right now you are using a phone that has some unpatched security flaws. That's probably ok, but it's still the Achilles heel of android. One of these days it's possible that something comes along that is terrible.

Also, if you have any hardware issues, Motorola doesn't make it easy to get a replacement phone. I think Google is better, and nobody beats apple at supporting their phones and getting people replacements when they need them.

But, again - only you know what's best for you. Buy the phone that suits you best.

TJCacher

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
We should all buy the phones that are best for us.

The update issue is one huge plus for the 6p and the iPhones. Those phones have and will get a handful of updates, including security patches, before the turbo 2 gets marshmallow, and will continue to get them. You say marshmallow is coming soon, but nobody knows how soon. So, right now you are using a phone that has some unpatched security flaws. That's probably ok, but it's still the Achilles heel of android. One of these days it's possible that something comes along that is terrible.

Also, if you have any hardware issues, Motorola doesn't make it easy to get a replacement phone. I think Google is better, and nobody beats apple at supporting their phones and getting people replacements when they need them.

But, again - only you know what's best for you. Buy the phone that suits you best.
This.

I love my Turbo 2 and agree with op's points regarding the phone hardware, but updates are a huge drawback. I've used iPhone, Samsung (carrier and non-carrier versions), Nexus and non-carrier Sony phones.

No contest for the Nexus devices' update cycle. For me, my Sony was next best, but still a distant second to the Nexus.

The fewer parties between you and the OS maker, the better the update experience will be. Carrier exclusives like the Droids are probably the worst at getting timely updates and longer-term updates as the phone moves towards the end of its product cycle.

As the previous poster points out, this is especially bad news as far as security patches go. It is a problem the Android phone industry desperately needs to find a more effective solution for, but I fear there are far too few users who understand (or care about) the negative implications of the current situation to bring much pressure to bear to change things.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a 6P and a Turbo 2 and I'm using both to try to determine which one to keep. So far, it's a close race. I like the Turbo 2 for its better hardware (size included), Moto features, and ruggedness. I like the 6P for its timely updates/lack of bloatware, fingerprint scanner, and its faster performance. If only the Turbo 2 was sold unlocked with support for all carriers and was on the Pure Edition's much better update cycle this would be a no-brainer...

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I really struggled with the choice between the DT2 and the N6P myself. I've always been on Verizon, which has worked well for me as a frequent traveler, so I've stayed tied to phones that are available for their network, starting with the Palm Pre as my first smartphone then the Thunderbolt, then the Droid RAZR Maxx HD, followed by the Droid Maxx, then after that I was faced with the choice between the Droid Turbo 2, the Nexus 5X, and the N6P. I've often wondered if I would have been an iPhone user all along if the iPhone hadn't been exclusive to AT&T for so many years before it became available on Verizon.

I really, really liked the Droid Maxx. If it had received regular updates, or even if it had at least been updated to Lollipop, I might still be using it, though my unit had developed a random restart issue that for the life of me I couldn't seem to fix. I guess I was holding out hope that an update to Lollipop might solve it, but the promised update just never came (and it's now been officially killed). Having never had a Nexus phone, I had almost gotten used to NEVER having the latest OS. But being the tech geek that I am I was constantly checking forums to see when/if an update might come. This is all a way of emphasizing that this constant pining for the latest OS was starting to feel ridiculous when my wife's iPhone was always updated right away along with my father-in-law's Nexus 6.

So, I started considering new phones last fall just as a lot of great options were coming out. I vacillated for months between the DT2, the N5X, and the N6P. Mainly the choice was between another Droid or the Nexus 6P because to me the N6P ultimately became kind of a no-brainer between the two Nexus options. I hated to give up wireless charging, especially. That one thing made me put off the decision more than anything else. But I also hated the idea of getting another Droid and immediately starting that cycle of pining after the latest OS knowing that even when/if it came it would be only weeks before yet another new version of Android would be released, and that version would probably never be available on my new phone.

Then there's the security stuff on top of the OS updates. The reality is that most important Android updates now come through apps in the Play Store and updates to Google Play Services. This is often overlooked. The OS changes themselves are mostly cosmetic. This is a major difference between Android and iOS. There aren't many (any?) Android apps that don't continue to run just fine when you're one or two or even three Android versions behind, unlike iOS where eventually an older iPhone or iPad just becomes useless because the apps stop getting updates and many apps you can't download at all. But now we have to worry about security updates, or at least we're told that we have to worry about security updates. The Droid phones will probably never receive one. single. security update.

So, I bought myself a Nexus 6P, which I had read worked just fine on the Verizon network, and because my Maxx had a nano sim, all I had to do was order the phone, take the sim out of one phone and insert into the other, and I was off and running. It was even easier than I imagined it would be because now Android phones somehow see each other (I guess it must be NFC), and the settings just automatically transfer over to the new phone. I haven't had a single problem with my N6P, which has received one Marshmallow update since I've had it plus three monthly security updates, with the next coming in just a week or two. With the reversible and easy to plug in USB-C charger (just like Lightning connector on iPhones), I haven't missed wireless charging nearly as much as I thought I would.

I also have to agree with the an earlier poster that the N6P just looks more elegant than the DT2., and I have to admit that the design and overall look of the N6P made a difference for me as well. I think the N6P and the iPhone 6s Plus are almost two sides of the same coin, which is probably what Google and Huawei were aiming for. Not everyone likes that or even gives a hoot, but it did matter to me.

That's my story. I'm still kind of a recovering Droid owner, and I do miss the better implementation of active display that Motorola offers. Nexus 6p has its own active display, but it's very inconsistent. I'm hoping that this gets better in later versions of Android, which of course now I can count on receiving for at least the next couple of years!

Last edited:

xdollface8

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned a Nexus but have owned a variety of other phones. Ever since the first Moto x every time I have changed to a different brand I have always went back to a Moto within 2-3 months. The quality and features are never the same.

Plus how can you say no to a shatter proof screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Plus how can you say no to a shatter proof screen?

It scratches like crazy. There's a video on YouTube by Jerry Rig Everything that shows its a 2-2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale as opposed to 5-7 for glass. A fingernail could be 2-2.5 on the Mohs scale so your fingernail could potentially scratch it!

Posted via my up-to-date Nexus 6P

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It scratches like crazy. There's a video on YouTube by Jerry Rig Everything that shows its a 2-2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale as opposed to 5-7 for glass. A fingernail could be 2-2.5 on the Mohs scale so your fingernail could potentially scratch it!

Put a tempered glass protector on it. Problem solved.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Put a tempered glass protector on it. Problem solved.

Nearly every early Turbo 2 tempered glass screen protector didn't fit right because the front of the phone curves ever so slightly. Do you know of one that fits properly now? If so I might snatch it up for my Turbo 2 and be tempted to use it more than my 6P...

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nearly every early Turbo 2 tempered glass screen protector didn't fit right because the front of the phone curves ever so slightly. Do you know of one that fits properly now? If so I might snatch it up for my Turbo 2 and be tempted to use it more than my 6P...

The one sold from Verizon. They put it on for me 4 months ago and its still good

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

The iVoler .2mm is also a perfect fit.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Love my Turbo 2 for the large battery, no case needed and wireless charging. I must say I am surprised though that the consensus is that the camera is better on the Turbo. I have seen some pics taken with the 6p and they are stunning.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The camera on the turbo 2 is not better than the 6P.

Agreed, it's not even close. However, video is much better on the Turbo 2 since it has digital image stabilization when recording 4K and it records stereo audio, while the 6P does neither.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I own both. I got 9 hrs sot on my first charge on the t2. I also love the size.

I gave the t2 to my girlfriend after about a month and got the 6p. Simple reasons: can't unlock the bootloader, can't root, absolutely no development. Case closed.