Battery trick worked!

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay so somebody on here suggested to help improve battery life reset the charging cycle by keeping the phone on until it completely killed the battery and then charging the battery with the phone off all the way back to full and I have to say my battery life has increased by at least about 30 to 40% so thank you very much and it was an easy fix
34c7e5e565f62f7e39f6d1ee6b347edc.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, leave the phone unplugged until it will no longer turn on. (It helps to do something active with it, like watch video or something.). Then plug in to charge until it is fully charged without unplugging. It's ok if the phone is on while you're doing this, maybe better if it is off. Some people also suggest unplugging when it reaches 100%, wait about 15 seconds, and then plug in again for, say, about 30 minutes to an hour.

It's probably easier to do this on a weekend.

If the phone's battery calibration is off and that is reporting the battery percentage incorrectly, this should fix it. However, it's not always the case that the phone needs to be calibrated - it could be that the battery is failing or you have apps that are draining the battery faster than you'd like.

It's good to know that this helped in this case, though.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It's threads like this where users blindly follow the OP that cause batteries to prematurely die.

It's NEVER EVER a good idea to let a lithium ion battery drop to absolute 0% charge. Each time the battery drops to 0% you're killing some of it's capacity. Imagine a car gas tank, brand new car, the tank fills to 100% full. Imagine each time you let the tank go to 0% the tank shrinks by 5%.

So let's say after the first year, you drive to empty every single month. Now when you fill the gas tank up, the meter is reporting 100%, but you're only filling it 60%(5% x 12months = 60%) of the way because the other 40% is gone.

This analogy is exactly how ALL Lithium Ion batteries work regardless of what a manufacturer says. Remember, they don't care about you, they see you as $$ signs. If they can get you to wear your battery out quicker, that means another potential sale of a phone or replacement of a battery.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

there's even a nice little graph up there.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's threads like this where users blindly follow the OP that cause batteries to prematurely die.

It's NEVER EVER a good idea to let a lithium ion battery drop to absolute 0% charge. Each time the battery drops to 0% you're killing some of it's capacity. Imagine a car gas tank, brand new car, the tank fills to 100% full. Imagine each time you let the tank go to 0% the tank shrinks by 5%.

In this case, it will be ok, for a couple of reasons:

1. The phone reports that the battery is drained when there is still capacity, in order to prevent exactly what you report. When the phone says 0%, there is really more battery capacity. The phone itself under reports to make sure that the user charges.

2. The user is actively using the phone when the shutdown occurs and can plug the phone in at that time.

But I agree - if you just let the phone discharge without observing it, you are not doing it ideally. You want to plug in as soon as you see the shutdown message (or the phone shuts down by itself.)

From the Battery University link that you provided:

If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device.

A smartphone is an intelligent device.

Another link on Battery University: How to calibrate a smart battery: BU-603: How to Calibrate a “Smart” Battery – Battery University

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The nice thing about science is that whether you believe in it or not, it's still true.

Posted via the Android Central App

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Dude I'm just saying that someone here recommended I try it......I did, and it worked. Now, if ultimately doing this hurt the battery life, then I'll deal with the consequences, but I wasn't getting even a full days worth out of it anyway, so I'm happy to see these results.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
For the purpose of calibrating your battery, it is fine to do once. But draining your batteries is bad for proper lithium battery maintenance. Most rechargeable battery advice is left over from old styles that could develop a "memory" if not fully drained.

rellik53

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I did the calibration earlier and battery life/reporting is working better than it ever has before. Was getting a full day with moderate use. Now I get almost 2 full days. If you're having trouble, give it a shot. You won't kill the phone.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Dude I'm just saying that someone here recommended I try it......I did, and it worked. Now, if ultimately doing this hurt the battery life, then I'll deal with the consequences, but I wasn't getting even a full days worth out of it anyway, so I'm happy to see these results.

Just to follow up, the battery trick was only temporarily helpful, right? It's not working anymore? I tried it and don't see any difference.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew, I am still noticing improvement on the battery life. Whereas before I couldn't get through a workday I can at least unplug in the morning and plug in at night before bed with about 10% remaining. Still frustrating since I purchased this phone under the pretense of the awesome battery they advertised.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew, I am still noticing improvement on the battery life. Whereas before I couldn't get through a workday I can at least unplug in the morning and plug in at night before bed with about 10% remaining. Still frustrating since I purchased this phone under the pretense of the awesome battery they advertised.

My thoughts exactly. The battery on the T2 is adequate, but not great. I just wish it was a little better.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Marshmallow will fix this!

It may, but my expectation would be that it will not. I can't remember any recent Droid that had improved battery life after an android version update.

It may depend on what is using battery. Doze may help, but that will be only for background processes when the phone is completely idle (carrying in your pocket will not allow the phone to doze, as I understand it.)

The T2 seems to have a problem with the display using a lot of battery. I can't believe that m will have much of an effect, if at all, on display power usage.

So, I'd plan on it being the same or maybe marginally better or worse and hope that you'll be pleasantly surprised by a noticeable improvement.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It may, but my expectation would be that it will not. I can't remember any recent Droid that had improved battery life after an android version update.

It may depend on what is using battery. Doze may help, but that will be only for background processes when the phone is completely idle (carrying in your pocket will not allow the phone to doze, as I understand it.)

The T2 seems to have a problem with the display using a lot of battery. I can't believe that m will have much of an effect, if at all, on display power usage.

So, I'd plan on it being the same or maybe marginally better or worse and hope that you'll be pleasantly surprised by a noticeable improvement.

Agree with this. That said, my battery life with the original Turbo improved greatly with the update from KitKat to Lollipop.