Software Repair Assistant

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of it helping when somebody mucked around with the radio settings in a hidden menu, but it had nothing to do with wifi issues - it fixed an issue with failing to connect to mobile data.

The phone is just about to get marshmallow. Can you not wait for that? That's going to replace all of the system software anyway.

Have you tried an fdr? If you haven't yet, I'd do that first if the issue survives the m update. Or, even before then. I think many of us have suggested that to you in the past.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I've heard of it helping when somebody mucked around with the radio settings in a hidden menu, but it had nothing to do with wifi issues - it fixed an issue with failing to connect to mobile data.

The phone is just about to get marshmallow. Can you not wait for that? That's going to replace all of the system software anyway.

Have you tried an fdr? If you haven't yet, I'd do that first if the issue survives the m update. Or, even before then. I think many of us have suggested that to you in the past.
I'm not sure why I sense a little negativity in your response, forgive me if I misinterpreted it. You and I both know a FDR is a pain in the ***. You and I both know that this phone has had some very frustrating issues. So no, I've avoided a FDR in the hopes of a solution and YES I have no problem waiting for MM. I just never heard of this before and was looking for some guidance.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
In many instances, especially with multiple issues going on, the solution IS a factory data reset, and set it up as a new device; i.e. Don't restore a previous google backup. You do that, and you restore whatever was causing your issues. The software assistant can help repair system software that could be causing issues.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
That's why I was asking. I've never heard of the software assistant and was trying to decipher what would be a preferred method. It looks like the software assistant DOES NOT delete your data like a FDR. I mentioned in an earlier thread which is why I also asked earlier do you guys FDR either before or after MM or not at all.

rokstarr

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The software upgrade/repair assistant is a nice way to reload the factory approved software and fix any glaring issues. It can backup your information before it does this so you don't lose it. I have read others have been having issues with the SUA detecting their turbo 2 and I can attest to that. I tried last night with my wife's turbo 2 for about an hour to no avail. Cleanly installed from the device option when plugging in to computer, uninstalled everything including all the drivers, tried again and still not recognized. The computer recognized it and I am able to explore the contents of the internal memory and SD card just fine. Made sure MTP was selected and phone was unlocked (pin code) and still not recognized. Put phone into bootloader mode and plugged in for fastboot drivers to install, still nothing. Wiped cache partition via recovery, still nothing. Tried all 3 USB ports on my computer, checked device manager and nothing outstanding when plugged in. Rebooted computer and phone multiple times. I only tried on my laptop with windows 10. I do not have anything else to try as all the computers are Windows 10 in my home. Any ideas to help are appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: also downloaded the SUA direct from vzw website and tried clean install, still didn't work.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You and I both know a FDR is a pain in the ***.

Which is more of a pain? Living with a phone that has had disappointing battery results or trying an FDR to see if it's the solution? You've been complaining about battery life for many weeks now. At some point you could have done an FDR, and at the very least you would have ruled out that being a solution to your problem, and at best you would have solved your problem.

(FWIW, FDR is not much of a pain for me. I use an app called DropSync to synchronize key internal storage folders to Dropbox automatically, so after doing an FDR I just copy the folders back after the apps are reinstalled and reconfigure sound and notification settings for my apps. [One of those folders that's backed up are my custom ringtones and notification tones.] I also back up text messages and call logs using SMS Backup+, so those are always up to date. I keep a pretty stock home screen with only one screen, so that's easy to reset. Google needed to improve this on Android years ago,; iOS is a piece of cake by comparison to restore from the equivalent of an FDR. I do this not only to make FDR not too much of a pain; I want to be able to get myself up and running quickly if my phone is lost or stolen, or needs to be warranty replaced, or when I get a new phone.)

SUA is a *little* risky - flashing the phone is always risky - and I honestly don't think it will solve your WiFi problem. I think that your problem is due to one of a couple of things:

1. You have an app that has the permission set control the WiFi radio
2. There is a bug in Lollipop, or a permission in one of Google's apps, that does the same.

If it is number 1, it will not be solved by SUA. If it is number 2, it will not be solved by SUA, either, but likely will by M.

I suppose it could be:

3. An installed app has corrupted data

Guess what will solve number 3? (Either FDR or uninstall and reinstall every app until you find the one that caused the issue, if there is one. And if it is a preinstalled app, only the FDR or wiping data for all of those will help, and than can be dangerous for some system app.)

But, you can try it, it's probably benign and maybe I am wrong about it solving your problem. But, again - the Marshmallow upgrade is going to do the equivalent of SUA when it comes (i.e, replace all of the system files and firmware files with stock copies; the M update will touch every one of those), and we know it should be coming soon. Here's the thing: if you are unrooted, you cannot change the system apps or settings through normal operation of the phone or using apps anyway - the system partitions are read only (and they are write protected on Motorola phones even if you are rooted.) That's why I think SUA will make no difference - if it's some esoteric setting, those are set in the data partition, and those are only changed by clicking the right setting, or - yes - a factory data reset.

You've been pointing out battery issues for weeks now, so I'd suggest that rather than do the SUA now, you may as well just wait a week or two more and then take action after the M upgrade if the problems persist. And then do the FDR, if you don't want to try it now.

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Which is more of a pain? Living with a phone that has had disappointing battery results or trying an FDR to see if it's the solution? You've been complaining about battery life for many weeks now. At some point you could have done an FDR, and at the very least you would have ruled out that being a solution to your problem, and at best you would have solved your problem.

(FWIW, FDR is not much of a pain for me. I use an app called DropSync to synchronize key internal storage folders to Dropbox automatically, so after doing an FDR I just copy the folders back after the apps are reinstalled and reconfigure sound and notification settings for my apps. [One of those folders that's backed up are my custom ringtones and notification tones.] I also back up text messages and call logs using SMS Backup+, so those are always up to date. I keep a pretty stock home screen with only one screen, so that's easy to reset. Google needed to improve this on Android years ago,; iOS is a piece of cake by comparison to restore from the equivalent of an FDR. I do this not only to make FDR not too much of a pain; I want to be able to get myself up and running quickly if my phone is lost or stolen, or needs to be warranty replaced, or when I get a new phone.)

SUA is a *little* risky - flashing the phone is always risky - and I honestly don't think it will solve your WiFi problem. I think that your problem is due to one of a couple of things:

1. You have an app that has the permission set control the WiFi radio
2. There is a bug in Lollipop, or a permission in one of Google's apps, that does the same.

If it is number 1, it will not be solved by SUA. If it is number 2, it will not be solved by SUA, either, but likely will by M.

I suppose it could be:

3. An installed app has corrupted data

Guess what will solve number 3? (Either FDR or uninstall and reinstall every app until you find the one that caused the issue, if there is one. And if it is a preinstalled app, only the FDR or wiping data for all of those will help, and than can be dangerous for some system app.)

But, you can try it, it's probably benign and maybe I am wrong about it solving your problem. But, again - the Marshmallow upgrade is going to do the equivalent of SUA when it comes (i.e, replace all of the system files and firmware files with stock copies; the M update will touch every one of those), and we know it should be coming soon. Here's the thing: if you are unrooted, you cannot change the system apps or settings through normal operation of the phone or using apps anyway - the system partitions are read only (and they are write protected on Motorola phones even if you are rooted.) That's why I think SUA will make no difference - if it's some esoteric setting, those are set in the data partition, and those are only changed by clicking the right setting, or - yes - a factory data reset.

You've been pointing out battery issues for weeks now, so I'd suggest that rather than do the SUA now, you may as well just wait a week or two more and then take action after the M upgrade if the problems persist. And then do the FDR, if you don't want to try it now.

This has been one of the most if not the most instructive posts that I have had the pleasure of reviewing. Thank you.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, although clearly I'm not the only one "complaining" about battery life with this phone. FDR is an end all be all. I'll do it, but was hoping for MM first. I appreciate the advice, the jabs at my "complaints", not so much.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been very disappointed with the T2's battery life, but I'm pretty sure it's just the phone and there is nothing I can do to "fix" it. When the phone is being used, it just eats power. It does not seem very efficient at all. I'm going to hope that the Marshmallow update improves battery life and, if it doesn't, I'll just sell phone and get a different one. Simple.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I definitely was not trying to be negative, and I apologize if it came across that way.

BTW, I'm not convinced that the battery will be better after an FDR. There have been several times with the Droid Maxx I did an FDR hoping to see battery improvement, and after a few days, it was basically the same. The battery is what the battery is. I would say that it would be worth at least trying once (and, again, at this point, wait until after M is delivered, unless you can't stand waiting any longer), but I would hope for improvement but expect it to make no difference.

As 1901Madison said, if it gets no better, consider biting the bullet and upgrading to another device or consider strategies to keep the battery charged (get a turbo charger in your car if you commute that way; or at your desk at work for quick 10 minute plug in at some point during the day; or get a good portable charger you can carry in your pocket for a quick charge during the day, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5037482).

(By the way, a good recent article about dealing with battery life on smartphones; read in particular the myths: What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter).

anon(982399)

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The software upgrade/repair assistant is a nice way to reload the factory approved software and fix any glaring issues. It can backup your information before it does this so you don't lose it. I have read others have been having issues with the SUA detecting their turbo 2 and I can attest to that. I tried last night with my wife's turbo 2 for about an hour to no avail. Cleanly installed from the device option when plugging in to computer, uninstalled everything including all the drivers, tried again and still not recognized. The computer recognized it and I am able to explore the contents of the internal memory and SD card just fine. Made sure MTP was selected and phone was unlocked (pin code) and still not recognized. Put phone into bootloader mode and plugged in for fastboot drivers to install, still nothing. Wiped cache partition via recovery, still nothing. Tried all 3 USB ports on my computer, checked device manager and nothing outstanding when plugged in. Rebooted computer and phone multiple times. I only tried on my laptop with windows 10. I do not have anything else to try as all the computers are Windows 10 in my home. Any ideas to help are appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: also downloaded the SUA direct from vzw website and tried clean install, still didn't work.
It will only see your phone when connected to usb 2.0 port.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma