Macro, how do I take macro photos?

JoeCapricorn

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
Let me start by saying that my old phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3. It took really nice macro of tiny bugs and that's what I really need for my phone, since I like to look for bugs and take pictures of them. But when I got the Droid Turbo 2 I could not find a macro setting in the default camera app in the store display model. I chalked it up to it simply being a poorly made app and figured I would try another app from the Play store.

I have tried four different apps and none of them have a macro option! Even though several of them claim to do so. Either they all deserve 1 star ratings, or something is wrong with my phone.

How do I shoot macro with this thing? I used to be able to get close to a small subject and take a nice clear photo from just a couple of inches away with my S3. But I have to be over a foot away and zoomed in times 4 to get some semblance of clarity with my Droid Turbo 2. Even then, it's not perfect - zooming in reduces the resolution, it may be clear but it's not crisp. It's not like how the S3 took photos.

What am I doing wrong?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't need to use an add on lense with my Galaxy S3, so what is different?

That's not an acceptable answer.

It may not be acceptable, but most of the phones out there right now are not capable of close-focus macro shots. That's just the way it is.

If I had to guess, I would say that manufacturers had to decide whether to improve long-shot capability or maintain macro capability and chose the former.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with N4Newbie. Motorola designed the camera for quick snaps and not for macro operation, and many manual camera controls are missing. Sorry, that's just the way they made it. Samsung has different design priorities for their camera and camera apps than Motorola does.

I'd suggest that rather than zoom in with the camera, take a full resolution photo as close as you can get good focus and then edit the photos later to get the zoomed in crop that you want. You may also want to turn off the automatic HDR option, if it is on. I'm going to bet that you'll get better results that way.

You can also try the Google Camera app. It does have some manual controls, but, in the end, I don't think that Motorola designed this camera to be used for macro photography.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi. Try camera zoom FX in the Google play store. It has macro option in the app. I don't know how well it will work on the T2. I've been using since I left my Samsung Galaxy S3 for the very same reason. I've tested and used it on my Samsung Note 3, 4 and now 5. Looking on going to the T2 here shortly. Miss the SD card slot too much. And we don't have marshmallow and won't be getting it for awhile. Very disappointed...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol