6.0 Marshmallow: How's your battery life after the update?

lincoln44

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
My battery had many problems after the update. Mainly problems with charging on turbo and losing battery life while it was on trickle charge. While plugged into the turbo charger, it would say "turbo charger connected" but then continue to drain battery while using or slow charge 1% an hour. Did all the trouble shooting, did a factory reset, charger tested ok at Verizon. My sister in law had the same issue with charging. Motorola was suppose to email me to send it in for repair. I ended up going back to Samsung out of personal preference. My sister in law went through 3 phones, now Verizon is going to buy out her contract to allow her to get a different phone. I really liked my phone when it was new, but this was a deal breaker for me. I needed my phone charged and ready to take some use in the medical setting. Had the 1st and gen Moto and Razr smart phones, tried to go back after one GS4...didn't work out, liking the GS7.

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
My battery had many problems after the update. Mainly problems with charging on turbo and losing battery life while it was on trickle charge. While plugged into the turbo charger, it would say "turbo charger connected" but then continue to drain battery while using or slow charge 1% an hour. Did all the trouble shooting, did a factory reset, charger tested ok at Verizon. My sister in law had the same issue with charging. Motorola was suppose to email me to send it in for repair. I ended up going back to Samsung out of personal preference. My sister in law went through 3 phones, now Verizon is going to buy out her contract to allow her to get a different phone. I really liked my phone when it was new, but this was a deal breaker for me. I needed my phone charged and ready to take some use in the medical setting. Had the 1st and gen Moto and Razr smart phones, tried to go back after one GS4...didn't work out, liking the GS7.

Very interesting. When Moto said they'd replace my phone, my first thought was that I might get a replacement phone that had the same problem. I asked the support person if I was guaranteed to get a known good sample in good working order, and, of course, he replied affirmatively... but the truth of the matter may be that Moto has no idea what is causing the issue. Only the technical team within the walls of Moto knows for sure.

Also when the support person told me that I'd have a new phone in two days, I should have known that was too good to be true. In my case, I was sent an email message with a link to the DT2 ordering website where I had to build and purchase a phone; there was a $624 credit and the shopping cart showed $0 due.

Going through the process of ordering a new phone basically puts you in the que of everybody else who is ordering the phone... and presently these are backlogged and I won't have it until Jun 11. On the bright side, maybe this assures me that I'm not getting a re-furbished phone, and also I was able to choose and try out a new color scheme and back cover.

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
This is the best I can manage to get. Is it worth it to look into a replacement or will it be a negligible difference?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2788.jpg
    2788.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 143

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh gawd. YES. That battery usage is... just... not... right for a 3750 mAh battery. Even for heavy use. This is what I'm getting after exchanging my phone:

1 full day easy, 2 days typical for *heavy* use. Lots of screen on time using Google Navigation with live GPS, audio player, text, calls, camera, etc.

3 to 4 days typical for moderate use. The occasional text and call. Using the phone audio player and radio app during morning and evening commute.

5 to 6 days with light use. Add on another day or two if I keep the phone in battery saver mode.

I can leave the house in the morning with 20% battery and not worry too much. If I use a custom Tasker app, which I made, and which turns on battery saver, turns off location, Wifi, auto-sync, and Bluetooth, sometimes the battery app estimates 11 days remaining! Of course once you start using the phone, the actual battery life turns out to be what I described above, but the 11 day estimate speaks to the effectiveness of Marshmallow doze mode. It works, and it works well. I think if you didn't pick up the phone, I definitely believe it will hold the charge for 11 days, probably longer actually.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
This is the best I can manage to get. Is it worth it to look into a replacement or will it be a negligible difference?

My stats are a little better, but not a lot. For example, my SOT average is 4h 50m. I see in another thread that you've done a FDR and cleared the cache. I doubt another device will make a big difference, but you may want to try.

Last edited:

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My average I'd about that, according to gsam it's 4 hrs and 57min.

I'd bring it back today, I'm thinking about it, but it's such a headache going through setting up a new phone. Maybe I'll try another factory reset and not restore anything from backups. That's the only thing I haven't tried.

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Can't seem to do much better than the above post. I'm going to try and swing by Verizon after work and see what they say.

Len95616

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine Galaxy S5 has been using 25 to 35% battery for Bluetooth since upgrade to MM. Will pursue the dreaded reset this weekend. Does not sound like there are other options. :-!

Alkline51

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: 6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO 2

Ever since the Marshmallow update my battery drains so fast I have to remain near a power source. I changed nothing after the update until my phone is almost useless. I hate to have to start from start, but I may have to.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to be more consistent from charge to charge now that it is on 6.0. 1. Also don't notice WiFi as my top battery drain anymore.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine seems to be more consistent from charge to charge now that it is on 6.0. 1. Also don't notice WiFi as my top battery drain anymore.

Yeah, the new update seems to have improved my battery life. I think Doze now works better. Too bad it took Moto SO LONG to straighten out much of the DT2 software problems. My phone doesn't heat up near as much anymore either -- even when turbo charging.

Sprintrep35

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Yea, it did same thing to me. Ive had my DT2 since last Nov and loved it up till this update!! Now my battery is done in 6 hrs. Used to last me 2 days.

Maxx Jonson

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site

You should consider an FDR. I have read that FDRs are easier with 6.0. Personally battery is better on 6.0.

What is a FDR? All I know is I don't have turbo power anymore. I have been like a apple user.. Hey where can I plug in? My battery 2hrs ago was full now it is 52%. If this rate keeps up my Droid Turbo 2 should be thrown back into Verizon... This is crap, another phone that is lying. Hey what about a camera stabilizer, do you know of any good ones? How can they forget to put something so valuable to a camera? Darn kids making Motorola Products.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

What is a FDR? All I know is I don't have turbo power anymore. I have been like a apple user.. Hey where can I plug in? My battery 2hrs ago was full now it is 52%. If this rate keeps up my Droid Turbo 2 should be thrown back into Verizon... This is crap, another phone that is lying. Hey what about a camera stabilizer, do you know of any good ones? How can they forget to put something so valuable to a camera? Darn kids making Motorola Products.

FDR stands for "Factory Data Reset" -- it essentially wipes your phone clean and re-installs the operating system. This can resolve many glitches. Be sure to read up on this before you do it and make sure that you have backed up any key data and that you have an understanding how to quickly restore all your favorite apps and settings.

For me, the latest android update released the beginning of this month has made my phone pretty much work like it should. but never has. With one exception -- the camera. Quite honestly the Droid Turbo 2 camera was always sub par and there is no software that one can install that will get it up to snuff with Iphones, Samsung Galaxy, or any other flag ship phone.

jobyamen

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Very interesting. When Moto said they'd replace my phone, my first thought was that I might get a replacement phone that had the same problem. I asked the support person if I was guaranteed to get a known good sample in good working order, and, of course, he replied affirmatively... but the truth of the matter may be that Moto has no idea what is causing the issue. Only the technical team within the walls of Moto knows for sure.

Also when the support person told me that I'd have a new phone in two days, I should have known that was too good to be true. In my case, I was sent an email message with a link to the DT2 ordering website where I had to build and purchase a phone; there was a $624 credit and the shopping cart showed $0 due.

Going through the process of ordering a new phone basically puts you in the que of everybody else who is ordering the phone... and presently these are backlogged and I won't have it until Jun 11. On the bright side, maybe this assures me that I'm not getting a re-furbished phone, and also I was able to choose and try out a new color scheme and back cover.

I'm on my 2nd droid turbo2 due to charging issues and the replacement is starting to not charge correctly.

I get the feeling that after several turbo charges something gets fried and once the glitch starts, it only gets worse and worse.

Motorola knows about the problem, because Verizon has noted the issue and will replace it if you have insurance. But Motorola hasn't released anything publicly, so I won't be buying from them ever again

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd droid turbo2 due to charging issues and the replacement is starting to not charge correctly.

I get the feeling that after several turbo charges something gets fried and once the glitch starts, it only gets worse and worse.

Motorola knows about the problem, because Verizon has noted the issue and will replace it if you have insurance. But Motorola hasn't released anything publicly, so I won't be buying from them ever again

I hear ya, Joby. This was a frustrating thing to go through once, I can imagine your frustration twice. Sorry to hear that. Motorola is undoubtedly aware of the *issue*, but it sounds like they're not aware of a *solution*.

Phones today can be argued to be one of the most complex and difficult engineered products on the market. Look at even Samsung having problems correcting their battery problem a few months ago. We demand powerful battery-hungry features in small portable packages, and it's just not easy to combine the two. Further, with so much competition out there, engineering teams are forced to design products on the bleeding edge... what are called "zero-margin" designs that have little tolerance or forgiveness for out of bounds operation.

This is what may be happening with the DT2. The majority of the phones are operating fine... but a few have the misfortune of coming down the line with silicon or PCB skewed to the edge of manufacturing tolerances causing an intermittent, and hard to diagnose, glitch.

My point is that you're never guaranteed to have a trouble-free experience no matter who you buy from. So, I say, shop and buy what you like just try to make sure the company has a good customer service reputation. I think Motorola is trying to take care of us.

smr1619

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a week left to return my Droid Turbo 2 to Ebay. I read some reviews before I bought and it said it really good battery life. The 2 main reasons I bought it were for battery and the screen. I received it, went through the setup and noticed it was on Marshmallow and the battery is horrible without any applications installed just using 4G. I did a couple FDR's and not changes. I went through and turned of all vibrations, notifications, nothing syncing, location is off, screen is set to low. I installed greenify and setup the aggressive Doze. I took my phone off the charger at 5:30 this morning and while on wireless browsing for a minute it dropped 1%. It's now 1:00 and I'm at 75% and SOT is 1hr and that's with very light use. If I browsing on my phone for 5min, my phone with easliy drop 3-4%. I started using the battery saver mode a couple of hours ago. Below is my History details.

I also disabled all unneeded applications.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161213-125407.jpg
    Screenshot_20161213-125407.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11

smr1619

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is some other info. I put the phone in airplane mode for a little over an hour and the battery didn't drop. Here are some things I've done.
- Turned off Wifi from scanning
- Changed Mobile data from Global to LTE/CDMA
- Restricted background data
- Turned off Auto-Brightness
- Don’t have any widgets on my screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay