6.0 Marshmallow: How's your battery life after the update?

JoeTNY

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Good Lord... this sucks!
I regret letting the Marshmellow update run. Not only does my Turbo run completely differently, the battery is not even a sliver of what it's been for a year and a half.
Like everyone else, I could go days without a charge. Now, I'll lose 20% in 5 minutes.

Last night I left it plugged into the Turbo charger all night... woke up, unplugged it, walked into the kitchen.... 100% battery went immediately to 89% in 3 seconds. It seems to charge a little bit faster after a day of having 6.01, but who cares if the battery drains in less than a day?
I REALLY don't want to FDR. If I could go back to the last OS version, I would. I have nothing but good to say about the DT, (except maybe the camera) and I plan on going to the DT2 this coming summer. I'm not so sure now.

:':)':)'(

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Good Lord... this sucks!
I regret letting the Marshmellow update run. Not only does my Turbo run completely differently, the battery is not even a sliver of what it's been for a year and a half.
Like everyone else, I could go days without a charge. Now, I'll lose 20% in 5 minutes.

Last night I left it plugged into the Turbo charger all night... woke up, unplugged it, walked into the kitchen.... 100% battery went immediately to 89% in 3 seconds. It seems to charge a little bit faster after a day of having 6.01, but who cares if the battery drains in less than a day?
I REALLY don't want to FDR. If I could go back to the last OS version, I would. I have nothing but good to say about the DT, (except maybe the camera) and I plan on going to the DT2 this coming summer. I'm not so sure now.

I suggest following the instructions in this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/756030-poor-battery-life.html#post5616906 and following up with some battery usage screenshots.

I'd also post in that thread, since that's the Turbo forum and this is the T2 forum.

countrydirt

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I just did a FDR to my turbo. The battery life since MM update has been underwhelming to say the least. I guess I'll try it with a relatively clean phone for a while.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I just did a FDR to my turbo. The battery life since MM update has been underwhelming to say the least. I guess I'll try it with a relatively clean phone for a while.

That seemed to work for me for a month or so then back to normal. I started to notice it when I use Waze and connected to BT while driving to work. It’s about a 50 minute drive and my battery goes to 76 percent. Is Waze and BT connected that hard on the battery, guess so. Shouldn’t be though. I asked my friend what his percentage is after he uses Waze with BT turned on (same drive to work) and he’s at 100% on his iphone. I really hope Nougat helps, when we get it!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is Waze and BT connected that hard on the battery,
Yes. Active navigation using the GPS radio with the display on all of the time is pretty battery-intensive. BT doesn't help.

I asked my friend what his percentage is after he uses Waze with BT turned on (same drive to work) and he’s at 100% on his iphone. I really hope Nougat helps, when we get it!
Does your friend have his phone plugged in during the drive? That is not the battery experience that I have on my iPhone with Waze (though it is true that the iPhone reports 100% charge for quite a long time.)

SilvrDrgn

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Terrible battery life here with the 6.0.1 upgrade. Getting the severe Bluetooth battery drain. Pics of battery screens attached from yesterday. The gaps are when I tried restarting the phone a couple of times. WiFi and BT location scanning are turned off. Tried resetting Network settings via Backup & Reset like I have seen on other site suggestions, but it did not help. BT still severely draining the battery even with nothing at all configured for connections after the reset. Very annoying. Turning off BT does appear to stop the drain, but that is more of a band-aid than anything else. Prior to 6.0.1, it never did this. Recommendations on a real solution?
Battery_screen.jpgBluetooth_battery_details.jpg

djs2571

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I've been trying to track this issue on my phone for a while now. I have a galaxy S5 that I use for just a phone, bluetooth, mobile data, wifi, are always off. Under lollipop I got an EASY 5-7 days depending on how much texting I was doing. Screenshot shows 5 days 19 hours since charged, and 3 days left.

Under marshmallow I used GSAM and saw there's a random point in the day that will bump the processor speed up and drain the battery. I had this happen when i'm in airplane mode at night too. It sometimes coincides with a date change (time update), but I have an event logger that doesn't catch anything occurring at the time of the CPU speed increase.
Marshmallow hasn't been able to calculate the battery time remaining well either, it always shows a much higher slope than the battery history shows - maybe the coders knew something and made it pessimistic? lol.
See the attached for screenshots. Marshmallow shows 2 days 13 hours and 4 hours left. the GSAM shot shows the processor speed increase and its effect on battery... note it happened about midnight when I was asleep, this is one of the "time update" looking triggers.
I worked out over 6% battery used per hour, with everything off in airplane mode.

OH, as an aside - this happened before and after updating all apps, and before and after a factory reset.

Attachments

• lollipop_2016-04-21-08-08-34.jpg
    lollipop_2016-04-21-08-08-34.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 4
  • marshmallow_2016-09-19-06-09-46.jpg
    marshmallow_2016-09-19-06-09-46.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 5
  • marshmallow-GSAM_2016-12-22-05-45-22.jpg
    marshmallow-GSAM_2016-12-22-05-45-22.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 4