Best tempered glass screen protector

jasonmhanes

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a Cell Helmet tempered glass screen protector on my phone- it is my 2nd one in 2 months...I feel that this brand is junk bc I have yet to drop my phone and I have gone thru 2 already - they crack easily and I'm tired of replacing them,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a different brand ? I like that this one is smudge proof but I'm tired of it breaking

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Cell Helmet tempered glass screen protector on my phone- it is my 2nd one in 2 months...I feel that this brand is junk bc I have yet to drop my phone and I have gone thru 2 already - they crack easily and I'm tired of replacing them,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a different brand ? I like that this one is smudge proof but I'm tired of it breaking
The Verizon branded .2mm tempered glass protector for the Droid Turbo 2 is excellent. I've had one on each of our 3 DT2's since November, and they're perfect.

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought Omoton's from Amazon. Comes as a pair. Only had it about a week, but so far it seems pretty good.

Posted via the Android Central App

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone taken off the top layer "shattershield" and replaced it with a tempered glass protector?

I've heard some are doing that to a) get rid of the check mark b) have a more scratch resistant layer, and c) one less layer than putting it on top.

But what I'm wondering is if the tempered glass protector is not the same thickness and/or not full coverage its going to look/feel wrong.

Just wondering if anyone knows from experience.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I removed the top layer and had verizon put on their tempered glass protector. My top layer was littered with micro scratches from swiping down to unlock, which could be seen in the sun and was terrible with finger prints (though i did try many products to remove the scratches which may have deteriorated the print resistance). The phone is noticeably lighter, though not cheap feeling. The screen is also noticeably sharper, feels smoother, and resists finger prints much better. You can feel a lip at the edge of the screen a little more, but it doesn't bother me. Overall i am happy and it is worth the risk. If I had the opportunity to have it put over the top layer before it had scratched i would have, but i got the phone on launch day and wasn't aware of the problem.

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I removed the top layer after getting a pretty good scratch in it. Pretty thick and noticeable to the touch. I tried to install a replacement and failed miserably. Not wanting to waste another $30 I chose to just use the glass screen protector I'd purchased. The screen is definitely sharper and feels nicer to the touch. I know I've essentially voided the warranty for shattershield, but for now at least I'll just take the chance.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I removed the top layer after getting a pretty good scratch in it. Pretty thick and noticeable to the touch. I tried to install a replacement and failed miserably. Not wanting to waste another $30 I chose to just use the glass screen protector I'd purchased. The screen is definitely sharper and feels nicer to the touch. I know I've essentially voided the warranty for shattershield, but for now at least I'll just take the chance.

How does it look and feel around the edges? I'm guessing if the shattershield is thick the tempered glass doesn't fit perfectly?

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
What is the tradeoff between the plastic film Verizon screen protector and the tempered glass one, assuming that I leave the factory screen protector (with the check) on the phone and just add the Verizon one? Fingerprints? Scratches?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was just trying to avoid adding yet another layer to the screen stack. Hearing that the brightness may be a tad bit compromised by the thick plastic top layer I thought that maybe removing it and replacing it with a thin tempered glass layer would be beneficial for feel, scratch resistance, and brightness.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
What is the tradeoff between the plastic film Verizon screen protector and the tempered glass one, assuming that I leave the factory screen protector (with the check) on the phone and just add the Verizon one? Fingerprints? Scratches?

You will need to replace the film one periodically as it will scratch and just generally degrade. The "tempered" - it's actually called Flexible Glass by Verizon - is much more durable and gives a better feel over the long haul.

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How does it look and feel around the edges? I'm guessing if the shattershield is thick the tempered glass doesn't fit perfectly?

Looks and feels great to me. Not sure how it would compare touch wise with the top layer intact, but it definitely looks better to me. The screen is brighter. I wouldn't have removed the top layer and voided the shattershield warranty if it had not gotten scratched, but now that I have I may just keep it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood