04-30-2016 05:01 PM
32 12
tools
    The cases do seem to have a major impact on charging.

I'm running an Otter Box Defender on my phone. According to Ampere, there's a major reduction in energy getting to the battery with the whole thing assembled.

Once I removed the rubber cover, the charge rate jumped significantly. That was both my new Anker charger and my original Nokia, which seems to be more powerful than the Anker, in regard to getting the current through the case.

Position also seemed to be key with the wireless charger , where a very small movent could make a big change.
    04-29-2016 03:27 PM
    I use the Tylt charger. It worked perfectly with my Turbo 2 until I put a bulky case on it then it wouldn't connect. I fixed it by putting the phone on the carger upside down (top of the phone sitting on the bottom of the charger). I guess it connects that way because the opening for the camera, etc. is in the right spot to get a connection. It worked perfectly before the case. D'Oh! At least I figured out how to make it work with the case. I love that charger.
    Does it work if you turn the phone landscape rather than upside-down?
    04-29-2016 04:12 PM
    I have found that putting the phone landscape, and making sure that the green light on the Tylt is centered under the wireless charging circle that you see when wireless charging starts, really keeps the phone cooler. In portrait mode, it would get up to 112 degrees, but it typically gets up to only the high 90s with the landscape placement. I don't have a case.
    doogald likes this.
    04-29-2016 04:35 PM
    I'm reading all these issues with wireless charging here, and this reinforces my belief that in its current form it's stupid. You have to put the phone on the pad in exactly the right position in order for the phone to not lose charge while charging? You have to take off your cases in order to get a decent charging rate?

What a joke. At this point it's far more convenient to plug the damn phone in.
    04-30-2016 12:54 PM
    What a joke. At this point it's far more convenient to plug the damn phone in.
    Good chargers like Tilt always charge when I place my phone in the cradle. It's pretty convenient and easier on the USB port.

That said, with quick/turbo charging, wireless charging isn't worth a lot until it supports faster charging rates. I used it for overnight charging, but I wouldn't use it if I needed a quick charge during the day.
    04-30-2016 01:54 PM

Nope. Worked fine before the case but now only works upside down.
    The Tylt charger works on other phones (and this one as well without this case) just fine. It works on my son's Galaxy with an Otter Box case in either portrait or landscape mode. I worked that way on my MAXX and also on my Turbo2 before I put this case on. I'll probably get a different case or else just use it naked. I never had a case on my MAXX and it was fine.

My wife uses the MAXX now as her streaming media device in her sewing room. I got her a nice WiFi (and Bluetooth as well) speaker and she loves it.
    04-30-2016 03:09 PM
    Good chargers like Tilt always charge when I place my phone in the cradle. It's pretty convenient and easier on the USB port.

That said, with quick/turbo charging, wireless charging isn't worth a lot until it supports faster charging rates. I used it for overnight charging, but I wouldn't use it if I needed a quick charge during the day.

Do you have a case on your Turbo 2? I have the case off of mine for some stuff I'm doing and I just set it on the Tylt charger. It works great with no fiddling required at all and in all placements, topside down, rightside up, landscape. All immediately start charging.

I only put a case on the phone because the back is slick and it would slide off the arm of my chair, etc. I'd like a case that solves that problem but doesn't interfere with my Tylt charger and also doesn't make getting the phone in and out of my jeans pocket a pain in the neck.
    04-30-2016 05:01 PM
32 12