Wireless Charging Question

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a Turbo 2, and a Nokia wireless charger. If I put my Turbo on the wireless charger to top off the battery, it seems to lose battery life.

For example, if I put it on the wireless charger at 50%, a couple hours later, it might be at 43%.

I'm always sure to line my phone up on the charger squarely, and get the charging indicator.

What am I missing or doing wrong? My Maxx charges just fine on the same charger, so I can say with confidence that the charger itself is still good.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that the charge rate of the charger is not able to keep up with the amount of battery used by the Turbo 2, even on standby, but it is for the Maxx.

If you can go to a retail outlet (Verizon Wireless store?) that sells chargers, maybe they'll let you try out a different model for a few minutes to see if that model works better.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Good idea. Now that you mention it, that makes sense I guess I didn't take that into account.

I'll have to stop by the Verizon store on my next day off.
Thanks!

Gurol

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a Turbo 2, and a Nokia wireless charger. If I put my Turbo on the wireless charger to top off the battery, it seems to lose battery life.

For example, if I put it on the wireless charger at 50%, a couple hours later, it might be at 43%.

I'm always sure to line my phone up on the charger squarely, and get the charging indicator.

What am I missing or doing wrong? My Maxx charges just fine on the same charger, so I can say with confidence that the charger itself is still good.
İ got dt 2. And i bought wireless charger no name. It's working.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Some good ideas here. I'll do some more research, and maybe buy a new charger.

Could it also be a positioning issue? It shows that it's charging, but maybe I don't have it on the "sweet spot" for it to charge the best.

It's just odd that the battery seems to dip after charging for a while. I won't rule out operator error, either.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Could it also be a positioning issue? It shows that it's charging, but maybe I don't have it on the "sweet spot" for it to charge the best.

It's just odd that the battery seems to dip after charging for a while. I won't rule out operator error, either.

Yes - it could be positioning. I got a Choetech round charger from Amazon to use with my DT2. It works quite well, but positioning is finicky: when the phone recognizes it's on the charger I make a point of centering the circle that it displays directly over the round charger - and when I do that, it works perfectly. One night several weeks ago I did NOT do that -- the phone's sweet spot was perhaps 3/4" below the round charging pad. When I woke up in the morning, the phone was warm, and had lost quite a bit of its charge. Ever since then, making sure it's positioned properly, I've had no problems at all, and the phone is at 100% every morning -- and I can use the pad to top it off pretty quickly as well.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my TyltView Qi wireless Charger that I bought for my Turbo 1, a year and a half ago. It works fabulously with both my T2 and my wife's S6.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
It's a Nokia DT-900, and the input is 12 volts, at 750 milliamps. It doesn't say what the output amperage is, though.

So, maybe it's a combination of positioning, and the draw the phone has while charging.

Does anyone know the amount of draw the Turbo 2 has when idle?

I know my stock wall charger for my phone is .7 Amps in, and 2.85 Amps standard output, with the Turbo 2 rating of 2.15 Amps out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Right, with wireless charging, position can be critical. The peak charge current for a good connection is about 0.75 amp, but if the placement is wrong, or the distance between the charger's coil and the phone's coil is too far, it can still have a connection but a lower charge rate - which may be too low for the phone to actually charge the battery while it is on standby. That is what I think is happening to you.

(I don't have a T2 but do have a Maxx. Does anybody with a T2 know where the charging "sweet spot" is?)

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
You might be right. I think once we figure out where the sweet spot is, I'm going to "dummy proof" the charger, and set up a stand that the phone sits on the "sweet spot" every time.

That way, it's a consistent placement, and it eliminates operator error from the picture.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas, I appreciate them all.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
download an app called charger tester when you place the phone on the charger open the app it will tell you if the milliamps are + or - adjust the phone on the charger till you see + or green - will be red

Posted via the Android Central App

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Right, with wireless charging, position can be critical. The peak charge current for a good connection is about 0.75 amp, but if the placement is wrong, or the distance between the charger's coil and the phone's coil is too far, it can still have a connection but a lower charge rate - which may be too low for the phone to actually charge the battery while it is on standby. That is what I think is happening to you.

(I don't have a T2 but do have a Maxx. Does anybody with a T2 know where the charging "sweet spot" is?)

I have a Tylt View and an Anker PowerPort Qi. The "sweet spot" for the Anker seems to be lower than the expected center.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
download an app called charger tester when you place the phone on the charger open the app it will tell you if the milliamps are + or - adjust the phone on the charger till you see + or green - will be red

I tried Charger Tester, but it didn't work. It kept telling me to connect the charger.

I downloaded Ampere, and it gave me the information you said it would. Turns out, the sweet spot is not on center, but closer to the camera.

Thanks, everyone!

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You might be right. I think once we figure out where the sweet spot is, I'm going to "dummy proof" the charger, and set up a stand that the phone sits on the "sweet spot" every time.

That way, it's a consistent placement, and it eliminates operator error from the picture.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas, I appreciate them all.

It seems that the phone actually shows you where it's "sweet spot" is, i.e., where it's charging coil is located. When you phone detects a charger beneath it, it displays a circle (approx 1.5" in diameter) mid-screen - and when I move the phone so that circle is centered right about my circular charger, everything works perfectly.

My next charger will be a 3 coil number, so hopefully this will be less critical. But for now, for your situation, I think if you center the circle that the phone displays over the coil of your charger, you'll get best results.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
It seems that the phone actually shows you where it's "sweet spot" is, i.e., where it's charging coil is located. When you phone detects a charger beneath it, it displays a circle (approx 1.5" in diameter) mid-screen - and when I move the phone so that circle is centered right about my circular charger, everything works perfectly.

My next charger will be a 3 coil number, so hopefully this will be less critical. But for now, for your situation, I think if you center the circle that the phone displays over the coil of your charger, you'll get best results.
I'll have to check that out in the morning, when I get home from work. I appreciate the heads up, and will look closer at it.

I know I've seen the charger circle on my phone, but it never moved if I was off the "sweet spot", it always seemed to be about the center of the screen.

The Maxx always would help me line up on the charger, with the arrows.

The triple coil charger sounds like a good deal, though.

I'm glad to know that it's probably operator error.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Update : Everything seems to point to operator error, since the "sweet spot" is a little of center.

I'm going to use Battery Bot to log any changes in the battery state when I'm asleep, and will report my findings.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas, I appreciate them.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Looks like it was indeed operator error. Phone has been charged fully since adjusting to the new alignment point.

Thanks to everyone that gave their ideas and thoughts, I appreciate them.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a question about charging. Is it normal for the phone to get really hot while charging via the turbo charger the phone came with? My phone heats up to 44 degrees C. Is this normal & will that damage the battery?

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about charging. Is it normal for the phone to get really hot while charging via the turbo charger the phone came with? My phone heats up to 44 degrees C. Is this normal & will that damage the battery?

Lithium ion batteries are generally designed to charge in a temperature range up to about about 45 degrees C with no problem at all. That's about 113 degrees F, and as a matter of fact, Lithium Ion batteries have a current safety cutoff at 90 degrees C (194 degrees F). You're nowhere near a dangerous range, and it sounds like your battery is actually staying within the "ideal" charging temperature range. For more on Lithium Ion safety considerations, see:

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University