04-30-2016 05:01 PM
32 12
tools
    I have a Turbo 2, and a Nokia wireless charger. If I put my Turbo on the wireless charger to top off the battery, it seems to lose battery life.

For example, if I put it on the wireless charger at 50%, a couple hours later, it might be at 43%.

I'm always sure to line my phone up on the charger squarely, and get the charging indicator.

What am I missing or doing wrong? My Maxx charges just fine on the same charger, so I can say with confidence that the charger itself is still good.
    04-04-2016 10:12 AM
    My guess is that the charge rate of the charger is not able to keep up with the amount of battery used by the Turbo 2, even on standby, but it is for the Maxx.

If you can go to a retail outlet (Verizon Wireless store?) that sells chargers, maybe they'll let you try out a different model for a few minutes to see if that model works better.
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 10:32 AM
    Good idea. Now that you mention it, that makes sense I guess I didn't take that into account.

I'll have to stop by the Verizon store on my next day off.
    Thanks!
    04-04-2016 10:58 AM
    I have a Turbo 2, and a Nokia wireless charger. If I put my Turbo on the wireless charger to top off the battery, it seems to lose battery life.

For example, if I put it on the wireless charger at 50%, a couple hours later, it might be at 43%.

I'm always sure to line my phone up on the charger squarely, and get the charging indicator.

What am I missing or doing wrong? My Maxx charges just fine on the same charger, so I can say with confidence that the charger itself is still good.
    İ got dt 2. And i bought wireless charger no name. It's working.
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 12:31 PM
    I have a Samsung wireless charger which works fine and also a PowerPort Qi I bought on Amazon which works fine as well.
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 12:58 PM
    Some good ideas here. I'll do some more research, and maybe buy a new charger.

Could it also be a positioning issue? It shows that it's charging, but maybe I don't have it on the "sweet spot" for it to charge the best.

It's just odd that the battery seems to dip after charging for a while. I won't rule out operator error, either.
    04-04-2016 02:15 PM

Could it also be a positioning issue? It shows that it's charging, but maybe I don't have it on the "sweet spot" for it to charge the best.

It's just odd that the battery seems to dip after charging for a while. I won't rule out operator error, either.
    Yes - it could be positioning. I got a Choetech round charger from Amazon to use with my DT2. It works quite well, but positioning is finicky: when the phone recognizes it's on the charger I make a point of centering the circle that it displays directly over the round charger - and when I do that, it works perfectly. One night several weeks ago I did NOT do that -- the phone's sweet spot was perhaps 3/4" below the round charging pad. When I woke up in the morning, the phone was warm, and had lost quite a bit of its charge. Ever since then, making sure it's positioned properly, I've had no problems at all, and the phone is at 100% every morning -- and I can use the pad to top it off pretty quickly as well.
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 02:27 PM
    I have been using my TyltView Qi wireless Charger that I bought for my Turbo 1, a year and a half ago. It works fabulously with both my T2 and my wife's S6.
    perkdog65, TJ Kelly Jr and brts96 like this.
    04-04-2016 02:28 PM
    It's a Nokia DT-900, and the input is 12 volts, at 750 milliamps. It doesn't say what the output amperage is, though.

So, maybe it's a combination of positioning, and the draw the phone has while charging.

Does anyone know the amount of draw the Turbo 2 has when idle?

I know my stock wall charger for my phone is .7 Amps in, and 2.85 Amps standard output, with the Turbo 2 rating of 2.15 Amps out.
    04-04-2016 03:24 PM

Right, with wireless charging, position can be critical. The peak charge current for a good connection is about 0.75 amp, but if the placement is wrong, or the distance between the charger's coil and the phone's coil is too far, it can still have a connection but a lower charge rate - which may be too low for the phone to actually charge the battery while it is on standby. That is what I think is happening to you.

(I don't have a T2 but do have a Maxx. Does anybody with a T2 know where the charging "sweet spot" is?)
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 03:24 PM
    You might be right. I think once we figure out where the sweet spot is, I'm going to "dummy proof" the charger, and set up a stand that the phone sits on the "sweet spot" every time.

That way, it's a consistent placement, and it eliminates operator error from the picture.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas, I appreciate them all.
    04-04-2016 03:28 PM
    download an app called charger tester when you place the phone on the charger open the app it will tell you if the milliamps are + or - adjust the phone on the charger till you see + or green - will be red

Posted via the Android Central App
    brts96 and doogald like this.
    04-04-2016 04:03 PM
    Right, with wireless charging, position can be critical. The peak charge current for a good connection is about 0.75 amp, but if the placement is wrong, or the distance between the charger's coil and the phone's coil is too far, it can still have a connection but a lower charge rate - which may be too low for the phone to actually charge the battery while it is on standby. That is what I think is happening to you.

(I don't have a T2 but do have a Maxx. Does anybody with a T2 know where the charging "sweet spot" is?)
    I have a Tylt View and an Anker PowerPort Qi. The "sweet spot" for the Anker seems to be lower than the expected center.
    brts96 likes this.
    04-04-2016 04:03 PM
    download an app called charger tester when you place the phone on the charger open the app it will tell you if the milliamps are + or - adjust the phone on the charger till you see + or green - will be red

I tried Charger Tester, but it didn't work. It kept telling me to connect the charger.

I downloaded Ampere, and it gave me the information you said it would. Turns out, the sweet spot is not on center, but closer to the camera.

Thanks, everyone!
    doogald likes this.
    04-04-2016 04:31 PM
    You might be right. I think once we figure out where the sweet spot is, I'm going to "dummy proof" the charger, and set up a stand that the phone sits on the "sweet spot" every time.

That way, it's a consistent placement, and it eliminates operator error from the picture.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas, I appreciate them all.
    It seems that the phone actually shows you where it's "sweet spot" is, i.e., where it's charging coil is located. When you phone detects a charger beneath it, it displays a circle (approx 1.5" in diameter) mid-screen - and when I move the phone so that circle is centered right about my circular charger, everything works perfectly.

My next charger will be a 3 coil number, so hopefully this will be less critical. But for now, for your situation, I think if you center the circle that the phone displays over the coil of your charger, you'll get best results.
    doogald likes this.
    04-04-2016 05:20 PM
    It seems that the phone actually shows you where it's "sweet spot" is, i.e., where it's charging coil is located. When you phone detects a charger beneath it, it displays a circle (approx 1.5" in diameter) mid-screen - and when I move the phone so that circle is centered right about my circular charger, everything works perfectly.

My next charger will be a 3 coil number, so hopefully this will be less critical. But for now, for your situation, I think if you center the circle that the phone displays over the coil of your charger, you'll get best results.
    I'll have to check that out in the morning, when I get home from work. I appreciate the heads up, and will look closer at it.

I know I've seen the charger circle on my phone, but it never moved if I was off the "sweet spot", it always seemed to be about the center of the screen.

The Maxx always would help me line up on the charger, with the arrows.

The triple coil charger sounds like a good deal, though.

I'm glad to know that it's probably operator error.
    04-04-2016 08:21 PM
    Update : Everything seems to point to operator error, since the "sweet spot" is a little of center.

I'm going to use Battery Bot to log any changes in the battery state when I'm asleep, and will report my findings.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas, I appreciate them.
    doogald likes this.
    04-05-2016 02:53 PM
    Looks like it was indeed operator error. Phone has been charged fully since adjusting to the new alignment point.

Thanks to everyone that gave their ideas and thoughts, I appreciate them.
    jonstrong and perkdog65 like this.
    04-12-2016 08:31 PM
    I have a question about charging. Is it normal for the phone to get really hot while charging via the turbo charger the phone came with? My phone heats up to 44 degrees C. Is this normal & will that damage the battery?

04-13-2016 05:56 PM
    I have a question about charging. Is it normal for the phone to get really hot while charging via the turbo charger the phone came with? My phone heats up to 44 degrees C. Is this normal & will that damage the battery?
    Lithium ion batteries are generally designed to charge in a temperature range up to about about 45 degrees C with no problem at all. That's about 113 degrees F, and as a matter of fact, Lithium Ion batteries have a current safety cutoff at 90 degrees C (194 degrees F). You're nowhere near a dangerous range, and it sounds like your battery is actually staying within the "ideal" charging temperature range. For more on Lithium Ion safety considerations, see:

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University
    Lucy Davies likes this.
    04-13-2016 06:23 PM
    Lithium ion batteries are generally designed to charge in a temperature range up to about about 45 degrees C with no problem at all. That's about 113 degrees F, and as a matter of fact, Lithium Ion batteries have a current safety cutoff at 90 degrees C (194 degrees F). You're nowhere near a dangerous range, and it sounds like your battery is actually staying within the "ideal" charging temperature range. For more on Lithium Ion safety considerations, see:

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University
    OK cool. Thank you.

04-14-2016 06:41 AM
    Bit late to the show but here are my comments:

The triple coil transmitter/charger configuration allows for some freedom of positioning, but be aware that there are dead spots between the coils where they overlap. If the receiver/phone coil falls in these dead zones, the phone will not charge.

I highly recommend purchasing a Qi-certified charger, that way whatever issues you have will generally be more with the phone and not the charger. You can determine if a charger is Qi-certified by the Qi logo on its packaging, or by looking up the model number on the WPC product page.

The DT2's full wireless charge rate is ~950mA.

@Lucy Davies: the turbo charger charges the phone at a full rate of 4A (initially) and dropping the rate as the battery state of charge increases. Things tend to get hot when we're fiddling around with 4A, and will cool off as taper starts around 80%. I would believe that Motorola's engineers accounted for this heat and 44C is within normal range, so you're fine.
    doogald likes this.
    04-19-2016 05:37 PM

My DT2 gets really hot when I charge is with the supplied Turbo charger, even after a factory reset. Way more so than any other phone I've had. Because of that, I only use the turbo charger when I need battery quickly. If I'm charging overnight, I use a Samsung charger I have from my old S4, which runs a lot cooler.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.
    04-19-2016 10:43 PM
    My DT2 gets really hot when I charge is with the supplied Turbo charger, even after a factory reset. Way more so than any other phone I've had. Because of that, I only use the turbo charger when I need battery quickly. If I'm charging overnight, I use a Samsung charger I have from my old S4, which runs a lot cooler.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.
    I normally use the turbo charger that came with my phone as I love how fast it charges. I just don't play around much on my phone when it's on charge. I'm OK with it reaching 44 degrees C now I no it's normal.

04-20-2016 05:15 AM
    I use the Tylt charger. It worked perfectly with my Turbo 2 until I put a bulky case on it then it wouldn't connect. I fixed it by putting the phone on the carger upside down (top of the phone sitting on the bottom of the charger). I guess it connects that way because the opening for the camera, etc. is in the right spot to get a connection. It worked perfectly before the case. D'Oh! At least I figured out how to make it work with the case. I love that charger.
    04-29-2016 02:58 PM
32 12