Why can't I talk and surf at the same time on my Droid Turbo 2?

A

AC Question

Why can't I talk and surf at the same time? I have a Droid Turbo 2

Was able to use my old Droid as a hot spot and talk at the same time. Now with my DT2 I cannot. Was using Verizon, still using Verizon, so no change there.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why can't I talk and surf at the same time? I have a Droid Turbo 2

Hi

I would recommend calling your Verizon support center, as this might be a device specific issue/limitation. I could be wrong, so you might want to wait a bit and check back here again later, as someone might have had the same issue.

Chris

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why can't I talk and surf at the same time? I have a Droid Turbo 2

Is enhanced 4G enabled?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Unless your have Advanced Calling (also known as HD Voice, or VoLTE) turned on, you cannot talk and use data at the same time on all of the newer LTE-capable phones. Verizon LTE Android phones used to have two radios, so one could be active on CDMA on a voice call, while data went on the other radio. Now, there is only one radio, so the only way to get voice and data at the same time is by using Advanced Calling, so the voice call is using LTE along with the data. GSM providers such as at&t and T-mobile do not have this problem, since the 3G protocol they use can handle both voice and data at the same time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless your have Advanced Calling (also known as HD Voice, or VoLTE) turned on, you cannot talk and use data at the same time on all of the newer LTE-capable phones. Verizon LTE Android phones used to have two radios, so one could be active on CDMA on a voice call, while data went on the other radio. Now, there is only one radio, so the only way to get voice and data at the same time is by using Advanced Calling, so the voice call is using LTE along with the data. GSM providers such as at&t and T-mobile do not have this problem, since the 3G protocol they use can handle both voice and data at the same time.

To be technical, what the older phones had that the newer phones lack is multiple cellular antennas. With a single antenna, the phone can connect only to cdma or to lte, but not both, whole older phones could do both at the same time. CDMA cannot handle calls and data at the same time.