Help with hotmail in Gmail.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My hotmail account in the Gmail app is acting strange. The fist few emails are fine then after that it starts showing emails from 2005. Any idea what happened here & how can I get it back to normal date order? Tried clearing the cache & that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I know you stated that you are using Gmail app for your Hotmail, but I just wanted to offer up an honest opinion about Outlook for your Hotmail account. I too have a Hotmail email address and use that over Gmail and keep the two apps separate. I realize that you are asking specifics about the app and nothing to do with trying another app, but just thought I'd share an option in case things keep being frustrating or whatever. The Outlook app works great for me.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Was thinking about trying a different app for my hotmail as Gmail doesn't really work well with hotmail. Sometimes I delete emails & there back the next day which is strange & it seems to take ages loading my junk folder. May give the outlook app a try.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Nine costs $9.95 but is by far the best Microsoft email (Active Sync).

Check and make sure that your hotlmail is set up as an exchange account and not Imap. Google recently updated the Gmail app so that it supports Exchange (active sync) on the DT2, but it will default set up as IMAP unless you set it up manually and use m.hotail.com as the server name (I think that's correct).

For what it's worth, the Moto Email app works VERY WELL on the DT2 with Hotmail. It's what I use. I like it better than the Gmail app

I do think Nine is superior to the Moto email, but It's overkill for what I need. If you download Nine, I think you can use it for free for 10 days or something like that.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Think my hotmail is set up as Imap will have to see & change it. Also there is a moto email app? Didn't no that. Will have to have a look around if I'm still not happy with hotmail going through Gmail.

Edit: tried changing it to m.hotmail.com & got a message saying error couldn't connect to server. Your right though it's set up as Imap.

Last edited:

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
The moto email app is called "Email". To make it work properly with Active Sync, you have to manually set up the account. You have to set it up as "Exchange" or "Corporate" depending on the app (Exchange for GMAIL or Corporate for Email).

You also have to "Manually set up the account." You can use the default settings when you manually set up the account except for the server. For the server, one of the following should work:

blu403-m.hotmail.com OR s.outlook.com

I prefer the Moto "Email app" over Gmail. The Moto email app will also sync contacts. I think it also syncs calendar pretty well, but I don't use the calendar so I'm not sure.

Even though the new updated Gmail account supports Outlook.com, if you don't do the manual setup it will connect it as IMAP and I do not believe IMAP syncs calendars or contacts with Outlook.com.

I also caution you that the contact sync can do funny things sometimes if you have the same Outlook.com account set up in multiple accounts. Best to only connect your Microsoft account in a single account -- Gmail, Email, Nine or another app.

For everyday users, I think the Moto Email app works just fine.

If you need something more powerful, then I suggest Nine but you have to pay for it.

Stay away from the official Outlook app! It's a POS!!!

Mobile - Outlook.com Help

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I don't need any email app to sync my contacts & calendars I just need to check my junk folder as I have a lot of emails go in there & I need to save ones that may end up in there. This is what I get when I type in email on Google play

23422.jpg

Which on is the moto email app? I can quite easily delete my hotmail in the Gmail app.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
The email app is factory installed. It's not in the Play store. Perhaps you have disabled it. Search for all apps on your phone. The name of the app is Email.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Just looked & nope don't have that email app. Properly coz I'm in Europe & it doesn't come with the moto x force as it's unlocked here.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Go into settings, account, and tap on add account. You should see the option for adding an email

Attachments

• 2228.jpg
    2228.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 41

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a stock email app as this phone in Europe is unlocked & just came with the Google & moto apps. This is what I get when I go to add an account.

23435.jpg

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Choose the Gmail exchange account and at manually using one of the server options in my earlier post and you should be good to go.

I did test the Gmail app with exchange and it works properly with Hotmail/outlook.com

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried that & it comes up saying duplicate email. Do I need to delete or unlink hotmail with Gmail first? If so how?

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes unhook your current account it is IMAP. So when you also connect as exchange you end up with duplicates because the account is connected twice.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Right I managed to unlink hotmail with Gmail & set up hotmail as exchange but my junk folder just continually loads & can't change the server as when I change it that continually loads too :/ looks like exchange isn't working for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Forget what the guy above said; try the Outlook app and see if that works well for you. I think it's a good app, and I *almost* switched from Google's InBox app to the Outlook app for my *gmail* account.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Well just checked my emails just now & it worked perfectly fine. Maybe it just needed time to sync & settle in? I check my emails everyday so will see how I get on tomorrow too. Glad it started working though.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
To be honest considering it is required and stock in every Android phone I find the Gmail app very unreliable. Sometimes it needs to be manually synced. Sometimes gmail from one phone to another both using same app arrives in milliseconds. Other times it takes hours. In other apps that handle gmail I have no issues so it isn't a server problem. It is an app problem. I'm always afraid to update since you never know what the next problem will be or when if ever they will get around to fixing it.