Battery charging issue after 24.31.22 update

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue? After I did the early October 2016 software update on my DT2 to 24.31.22, my phone doesn't seem like it wants to accept certain chargers like it used to. It works with the Turbo charger fine (home and auto), but standard speed chargers keep coming up with a "slow charging" notification every time I plug one in. And it's no matter which one I use. It didn't used to be this way before the update. It would normally charge, albeit slower, but it would still charge without issue. Not only am I getting the notification when I use a standard charger, but it has slowed the charge speed down immensely. I'll be lucky to get 3% in an hour, whereas it used to climb like a regular speed charging phone would.

I'm dealing with bringing the quick charger I have out to other rooms with me if I need it, but I only have one and don't feel like spending 35 bucks on another if I don't need it. I have plenty of these regular chargers around the house so it'd be nice to plug in anywhere and utilize what I already have.

Thanks!

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Never tried it. I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking it might not make a difference since it was exactly after the update that it started doing it. I'll let you know

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, but it's always possible that some 3rd party app you installed is suddenly in conflict with the updated system. If that's the case, then the problem should stop in Safe Mode.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Ran it in Safe Mode and still did it. Even having the phone off on the regular charge is MAYBE giving me a 1% increase every 5 minutes. My guess now is since softwares can determine how a phone likes certain chargers, this update definitely effected that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How many amps (or watts) are these standard speed chargers? (It will be printed somewhere on the charger itself.)

I'd also consider trying a different USB cable. Some are capable of carrying a higher level of current compared with others. (It's not clear from your post that you tried other cables.)

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Yeah sorry I meant to mention the outputs. It's a 5.2V 2.1A. I wouldn't think that's underpowered at all. Yeah I've swapped a few cables out with others and it's all the same.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, 10 watt should be fine, so it's likely not that.

One last thing - perhaps there is some lint or dirt in the actual USB port on the phone? You can try cleaning it out with a gentle and quick blow of air from a compressed air can (you don't want to do too long, because the temp of the blown air will be so low that it could cause some damage), or you can try poking around a bit with a toothpick to dislodge any lint or cruft that is in the port.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
...or you can try poking around a bit with a toothpick to dislodge any lint or cruft that is in the port.
...poking around a bit carefully with a toothpick... (is what I meant to write. You don't want to lose a piece of toothpick in the port, either.)

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes, 10 watt should be fine, so it's likely not that.

One last thing - perhaps there is some lint or dirt in the actual USB port on the phone? You can try cleaning it out with a gentle and quick blow of air from a compressed air can (you don't want to do too long, because the temp of the blown air will be so low that it could cause some damage), or you can try poking around a bit with a toothpick to dislodge any lint or cruft that is in the port.
Yeah I would say it's trace foreign material in the port too but all types of rapid chargers work still as designed. I'll take a look in there though.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
doogald took the words right out of my mouth!;)

If it still happens, then on the off chance that something went wrong with the update, you could try repairing the installation using Verizon's Software Upgrade Assistant: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...support/knowledge-base-116821/&token=JyG-lPah. This will probably wipe the phone, so make sure you backup or sync your important data first.
Yeah I hate going through the hassle of possible phone wipes. Since the phone is working great and the only issue I'm having is just this annoying one, I'm just gonna wait a couple more months for Nougat to go OTA and see what that update does for it. I'd love to see if other DT2 users are having this problem too. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

ohjilunartail

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
yea started this morning here as well, havnt updated phone tho running 24.14.16 still. but had a few app updates, mostly things that came with the phone ike google stuff, and amazon

ChuckLIII

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't have any slow charging problems, but since the October update my phone is very warm when I take it off the wireless charger in the mornings. It didn't get that warm before the update.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
So no slow charging issues with standard (non rapid) chargers? That's the only time I'm seeing problems. Pretty strange though that you're having another form of battery issue after the update.

ChuckLIII

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
The only charger that I use is the wireless one, and a wired charger when I travel out of town, which is infrequent. The phone is quite warm when I take it off the wireless charger, and I haven't been out of town yet since the update to see if it happens on the wired charger as well.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a question which I would like to ask in here instead of making another battery issue thread. My phone went down to 10% so I put it on charge with the original charger & normally it says 1 hour & so many minutes until full after a little while but this time it didn't it said 25 mins until full then went up to 48 mins. It still charged ok but why is it not counting the charge time properly? I haven't had any updates as I'm in the uk.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The only charger that I use is the wireless one, and a wired charger when I travel out of town, which is infrequent. The phone is quite warm when I take it off the wireless charger, and I haven't been out of town yet since the update to see if it happens on the wired charger as well.
Okay I gotcha. Take notice to the wired charger, when you use it, to see if it is a non-rapid charger. If it is, let us know if it gives you the same warning I have received.

T79phoenix

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I have a question which I would like to ask in here instead of making another battery issue thread. My phone went down to 10% so I put it on charge with the original charger & normally it says 1 hour & so many minutes until full after a little while but this time it didn't it said 25 mins until full then went up to 48 mins. It still charged ok but why is it not counting the charge time properly? I haven't had any updates as I'm in the uk.
How long did it take for it to go from 25 minutes to 48 minutes after plugging it in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles