Phone completely dead.

May 28, 2016
Visit site
On 2/22/17, my droid turbo 2 completely died. It froze, then went into a bootloop. I tried every button combination you can think of, including volume down and power, but no dice. I should note that I got the phone to turn on twice, but it wouldn't detect a sim card and was VERY slow. This happens both times I turned it on.

I could only get it to show the motorola logo and recovery mode. It froze often during both of those modes. It even froze while it was showing the battery charging screen that appears while the device is off. Now, I can't get ANYTHING out of this phone. I am very tech savvy and know a lot about phones, but this baffles me.

Can anyone help me?

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

offsidebowler

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I might be stating the obvious but the hardware is fried. The problem is how to diagnose exactly what the issue is because you could probably repair it yourself if you have the inclination.

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I have insurance on it. I check asurion and it turns out they don't repair issues like these. It's not too big of a deal though because I am using my OG droid turbo currently.

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I'd try the Verizon Repair Assistant: http:////forums.androidcentral.com/...ort%2Fknowledge-base-116950%2F&token=RQW6yEot
It may not help, but it's worth a try. I've read reports that the app may not recognize a phone if you plug into USB 3 port, so try another USB port on your computer if the app doesn't see the phone.

The phone will not turn on at all. I can't get it to be detected by the repair assistant. I also tried all the diagnostics on Verizon's website, nothing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone will not turn on at all. I can't get it to be detected by the repair assistant. I also tried all the diagnostics on Verizon's website, nothing.

Is the battery charging at all? The DT2 is notorious for issue charging through the USB port, so, if the reason you cannot turn on is the lack of charge, I might try a different charger, a different cable, etc. - even a wireless charger may help, but, maybe not - the phone has to power on to use wireless charging, IIRC.

It sounds like your phone is fried, but, if you can verify that it's charged enough to start the bootloader, the repair assistant just might work. But, I think I'd be going for the Asurion replacement.

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I can't tell if the battery is charging. I don't think it is. My usb port was working fine before this, so I don't think that's the issue. I've tried numerous chargers and cables, all nothing. The phone does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at this point. I tried a wireless charger, and it showed the green light indicating it was charging, but I still don't think it was and nothing happened on the screen. I also filed a claim at asurion, and they said that they do not cover electrical/software issues.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell if the battery is charging. I don't think it is. My usb port was working fine before this, so I don't think that's the issue.

It sure could be. See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-TURBO-2-by-Motorola/Turbo-2-won-t-charge/td-p/3261260

I also filed a claim at asurion, and they said that they do not cover electrical/software issues.

So they cover you if you lose the phone or drop it in the toilet but not if it stops charging? (Rolling my eyes in a big way here.)

Tell them that the USB port is broken. Don't tell them that it won't charge. Maybe that will allow a claim? (You won't be lying.)

If not maybe try calling Motorola and see if they'll cover it? Maybe refer to the link I provided above to their forums if they try to claim it's not a common issue?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It sure could be. See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-TURBO-2-by-Motorola/Turbo-2-won-t-charge/td-p/3261260

So they cover you if you lose the phone or drop it in the toilet but not if it stops charging? (Rolling my eyes in a big way here.)

Tell them that the USB port is broken. Don't tell them that it won't charge. Maybe that will allow a claim? (You won't be lying.)

If not maybe try calling Motorola and see if they'll cover it? Maybe refer to the link I provided above to their forums if they try to claim it's not a common issue?

Or it dropped in the toilet

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Or it dropped in the toilet

I could do that, but then there would be no going back. My water damage indicators are clean (meaning they still have the red X's). Dropping my phone in the toilet could make this count as water damage, but I'm worried that if I send it in they will see "extra damage" and charge me more.

May 28, 2016
Visit site

My usb port is fine. I have a charger whose light turns green whenever a device is plugged in. When I plugged my turbo 2 in, the light turns green, so it's not a usb port issue. That happened with my 1st turbo 2.

I should also note that recently I've gotten it to turn on multiple times, just enough to install the android nougat update, and EVERY time it turned on, it froze shortly after. I'm 97% sure it's a board issue; possibly bad connections between parts on the board.