05-09-2017 06:05 PM
60 123
tools
    Android OS, Android System, and Voice Mail are eating up all my battery power. Down to 30% from a full charge in the 3 hour drive home from the airport. Phone was not used once. Fix your screw up, Verizon/Motorola!
    03-12-2017 05:27 AM
    Battery:
    Attached Thumbnails Ridiculous battery usage-6632.jpg  
    03-12-2017 05:28 AM
    I can't wait to get rid of this phone because of this. Mine is almost identical to yours!
    03-13-2017 08:16 PM
    After doing some research, I may have found a solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...nougat_solved/

I have just went through the app battery optimization reset. Time will tell if this is a fix. For the last day I have not had this problem until this afternoon. My phone was cool (temperature), even while in use. This afternoon, after charging, it remained warm and even while not being used the battery was draining quickly again, with Android System once again being the largest battery drain listed. Clearly Motorola/Verizon did a ****-poor job testing this OS before releasing it and screwed over users of this phone. Hopefully this will fix it- worth a try anyway. In any case, this is just one more reason to avoid Motorola and probably Android for my next phone.
    03-13-2017 09:05 PM
    After doing the reset above, I pulled my phone off the charger and did a restart. It's very warm and lost 4% just by doing that. Not promising so far.
    03-13-2017 09:24 PM
    Well, I can unfortunately confirm that this was of no help. My phone remains warm, almost hot, with massive battery drain even while it's not being used. Verizon and Motorola have ruined the DT2.
    Attached Thumbnails Ridiculous battery usage-6774.jpg  
    03-13-2017 09:42 PM
    I've gotta be honest - if this were me, this is what I would do:

• factory reset the phone
    • do not install any apps that I do not absolutely need. To be honest, I could probably get by with stock apps. If I want to check Facebook, I'd do it in Chrome. If I want to check Instagram - ditto. Twitter - ditto. If I want to know the sports scores? Either Chrome or Google search. Things like that.
    • No music. No podcasts. No Netflix etc. No games (well, I don't play games anyway.) Just for a few days - i'd survive.
    • run the phone for a couple to three days and see what the battery is like.

If the battery is still bad - I'd be buying another phone, particularly for a phone as old as the 16 month old Turbo 2. I'd probably be unhappy about it, but I'd chalk it up to lesson learned and never believing a marketing stat like "48 hour battery" again. (I've NEVER had 48 hour battery with my Droid phones that were advertised that way, even when new.)

If the battery is acceptable this way (as I would hope it would be):

• start adding apps and services slowly, most important/most used first.
    • No more than three a day.
    • See what happens to the battery. When the battery starts to go south - I suspect it's one of the last three apps I installed.

Also, of course, I'd be plugging in whenever convenient. While I am sleeping for sure (well, I always do that anyway.) Driving in the car (90% of the time now, I do that.) If I'm sitting at my desk and know I'm going to be there for a while - plug in. Owning a smartphone doesn't mean you have to max out the battery life without charging each and every day.

Good luck, I hope it works out.
    THEPRFCT10 and Sandman333 like this.
    03-13-2017 10:21 PM

Not sure why your phone is having battery issues but it's not the same across the board. I have the update and my battery seems to be doing fine. I did have a similar battery drain before the update and it turned out to be the Facebook app which I rarely use and even keep their push notifications turned off. It didn't show up in the list when viewing the battery stats but it showed a high android system usage like you are seeing. I had to force stop Facebook and clear its memory to fix the massive drain. This may not help with your situation but good luck and keep us posted when you get it figured out.
    03-14-2017 12:48 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2d13af6bf5.jpg
    Not sure why your phone is having battery issues but it's not the same across the board. I have the update and my battery seems to be doing fine. I did have a similar battery drain before the update and it turned out to be the Facebook app which I rarely use and even keep their push notifications turned off. It didn't show up in the list when viewing the battery stats but it showed a high android system usage like you are seeing. I had to force stop Facebook and clear its memory to fix the massive drain. This may not help with your situation but good luck and keep us posted when you get it figured out.
    I don't have Facebook app and just like sandman mine looks nothing like what you're getting. Consider yourself lucky!
    03-14-2017 03:29 PM
    OK, I may have solved this problem. Days ago I found that thread that said to reset all the battery optimization settings. That seemed to work for a few hours, but then the phone started getting warm and burning through the battery again. Fail.

I kept reading through that thread and some owners said they also reset all app permissions, which worked for them. I've since done that and it's now been two days since I've had the battery problem. I've never gone that long since this started without the phone heating up and sucking down the battery. The phone stays nice and cool (other than when I wirelessly charge, which was normal before Android 7 for it to get warm), and battery life is better than it's ever been. The only app permission I've reauthorized since the reset are those requested for AccuWeather.
    perkdog65 likes this.
    03-16-2017 01:41 PM
    A little recharge on my way home, but this is MUCH better! More importantly, Android System used to always be at the top of the battery app usage list, no matter how much or little I used the phone. Now it's way down there.
    Attached Thumbnails Ridiculous battery usage-6943.jpg  
    03-16-2017 01:44 PM
    Battery life:
    Attached Thumbnails Ridiculous battery usage-6942.jpg  
    perkdog65 likes this.
    03-16-2017 01:46 PM
    Mine started getting warm like this yesterday. Seemed to be after I installed Android Pay. Drained my battery last night and still doing it this morning. I turned off NFC which I assume Android Pay uses and the phone cooled off. I may have to do the reset permissions thing as well. I've got a Moto X Pure on AT&T but still on Marshmallow.
    03-16-2017 03:15 PM
    Battery life:
    You mean reset app preferences?
    03-16-2017 11:42 PM
    Yep, try it.
    03-17-2017 01:23 PM
    Ok done we shall see
    03-17-2017 06:08 PM
    Spoke too soon. Phone went back to burning up and burning through the battery. Verizon and Motorola really screwed the pooch on this update. My next phone will not be a Motorola. QC is in the toilet
    03-19-2017 07:03 AM
    Spoke too soon. Phone went back to burning up and burning through the battery. Verizon and Motorola really screwed the pooch on this update. My next phone will not be a Motorola. QC is in the toilet
    Have you tried my advice in post 32 above? We all know that is not uncommon for Android version updates to require an FDR for some (if not many) people.
    03-19-2017 10:42 AM
    Have you tried my advice in post 32 above? We all know that is not uncommon for Android version updates to require an FDR for some (if not many) people.
    Factory data reset unfortunately did not help me.
    03-19-2017 11:41 AM
    this is after factory data reset. Completely unacceptable.
    03-19-2017 11:42 AM
    You did an FDR and then did not install any third party apps and then waited a couple of days to install them?

The phone always uses a lot of battery after upgrade and FDR to recache apps, rebuild search indexes, etc. Deciding that the battery is bad after 15 minutes is not what I said in my post.

And, again - after a coupe of days without third party apps. If your battery is still bad, it's probably time to think about a new phone. I know I recommend against the Turbo 2 for anybody - I think it was a bad design myself. Many people with battery problems, many people with problems with the USB port, a few people reporting issues with poor Motorola support for repairs and replacement. (Not sure if you recall, but many people tried to repair the phone about a year ago now with problems with ports, battery, and broken displays, and they were waiting weeks/months to get repaired phones back or even replacements.)

All that said, monitoring of the Moto Z, Z Play, and Z Force forums looks like Moto fixed these issues. Those looks like solid phones, based on the forum postings at AC.
    Ry likes this.
    03-19-2017 11:53 AM
    I've been having problems as well since the latest software update as well. I had a 30 minute drive to work - didn't touch my phone and it went from 100% to 73%.

Also, a ton of apps keep crashing on me when I open them - especially messenger. If they don't crash, they take forever to open. Even with a phone call, I'll hear the phone ringing, but the calling number/ID doesn't show up for a good 8-10 seconds...

Yes, I have cleared the cache and deleted extra apps. I even downloaded a lot of old pictures & videos to my desktop so my phone would have more space. No luck.

I've also done virus scans that turned up nothing as well.
    03-19-2017 06:46 PM
    Too many weird things after the update.
    03-19-2017 10:50 PM
    I've been having problems as well since the latest software update as well. I had a 30 minute drive to work - didn't touch my phone and it went from 100% to 73%.

Also, a ton of apps keep crashing on me when I open them - especially messenger. If they don't crash, they take forever to open. Even with a phone call, I'll hear the phone ringing, but the calling number/ID doesn't show up for a good 8-10 seconds...

Yes, I have cleared the cache and deleted extra apps. I even downloaded a lot of old pictures & videos to my desktop so my phone would have more space. No luck.

I've also done virus scans that turned up nothing as well.
    I haven't had any apps crashing, but apparently my phone is only good for 4 hours, using it or not. Guess I'm going to have to do a FDR. Great. Notice Android System is once again at the top of the list, no matter what I use my phone for. Motorola screwed up big time.

Attachment 254538Ridiculous battery usage-8158.jpg
    03-20-2017 01:50 AM
    What is so absolutely frustrating is that there is absolutely no pattern for when the phone goes into battery burn mode. I woke up to this, which was a stone cold phone NOT using power when it shouldn't be, i.e. normal:

Ridiculous battery usage-8167.jpg
    03-20-2017 12:57 PM
60 123