Ridiculous battery usage

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You can see in the graph where the battery drain stopped. I had the phone on, in my pocket, but was not using it:

Attachments

• 6614.jpg
    6614.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 67

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What's a normal temperature for the battery when charging on the supplied turbo charger?

Attachments

• 6616.jpg
    6616.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 65

jmcumming

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Since the update to Nougat, this has happened twice: Rapid battery discharge and the phone gets very warm just being in my pocket as I walk around. No use at all from full charge will result in a dead battery in about 5 hours. Ridiculous.

Same boat here. Did my design refresh in January, battery life was pretty decent. Ever since Nougat last week, the phone is running hot all the time, and I'm lucky to get 7-8 hours out of the phone. Taking a lot longer to get a full charge, and if I'm not plugged into a turbo charger, just using another charger, the phone loses more than it gains (unless I charge it powered off). This upgrade ruined the phone.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Android OS, Android System, and Voice Mail are eating up all my battery power. Down to 30% from a full charge in the 3 hour drive home from the airport. Phone was not used once. Fix your screw up, Verizon/Motorola!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
After doing some research, I may have found a solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/516ww2/battery_drain_on_android_70_nougat_solved/

I have just went through the app battery optimization reset. Time will tell if this is a fix. For the last day I have not had this problem until this afternoon. My phone was cool (temperature), even while in use. This afternoon, after charging, it remained warm and even while not being used the battery was draining quickly again, with Android System once again being the largest battery drain listed. Clearly Motorola/Verizon did a ****-poor job testing this OS before releasing it and screwed over users of this phone. Hopefully this will fix it- worth a try anyway. In any case, this is just one more reason to avoid Motorola and probably Android for my next phone.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
After doing the reset above, I pulled my phone off the charger and did a restart. It's very warm and lost 4% just by doing that. Not promising so far.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can unfortunately confirm that this was of no help. My phone remains warm, almost hot, with massive battery drain even while it's not being used. Verizon and Motorola have ruined the DT2.

Attachments

• 6774.jpg
    6774.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've gotta be honest - if this were me, this is what I would do:

• factory reset the phone
  • do not install any apps that I do not absolutely need. To be honest, I could probably get by with stock apps. If I want to check Facebook, I'd do it in Chrome. If I want to check Instagram - ditto. Twitter - ditto. If I want to know the sports scores? Either Chrome or Google search. Things like that.
  • No music. No podcasts. No Netflix etc. No games (well, I don't play games anyway.) Just for a few days - i'd survive.
  • run the phone for a couple to three days and see what the battery is like.

If the battery is still bad - I'd be buying another phone, particularly for a phone as old as the 16 month old Turbo 2. I'd probably be unhappy about it, but I'd chalk it up to lesson learned and never believing a marketing stat like "48 hour battery" again. (I've NEVER had 48 hour battery with my Droid phones that were advertised that way, even when new.)

If the battery is acceptable this way (as I would hope it would be):

• start adding apps and services slowly, most important/most used first.
  • No more than three a day.
  • See what happens to the battery. When the battery starts to go south - I suspect it's one of the last three apps I installed.

Also, of course, I'd be plugging in whenever convenient. While I am sleeping for sure (well, I always do that anyway.) Driving in the car (90% of the time now, I do that.) If I'm sitting at my desk and know I'm going to be there for a while - plug in. Owning a smartphone doesn't mean you have to max out the battery life without charging each and every day.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

Last edited:

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
2dfbedd678c19d7ae15fbe2d13af6bf5.jpg

Not sure why your phone is having battery issues but it's not the same across the board. I have the update and my battery seems to be doing fine. I did have a similar battery drain before the update and it turned out to be the Facebook app which I rarely use and even keep their push notifications turned off. It didn't show up in the list when viewing the battery stats but it showed a high android system usage like you are seeing. I had to force stop Facebook and clear its memory to fix the massive drain. This may not help with your situation but good luck and keep us posted when you get it figured out.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170314/2dfbedd678c19d7ae15fbe2d13af6bf5.jpg
Not sure why your phone is having battery issues but it's not the same across the board. I have the update and my battery seems to be doing fine. I did have a similar battery drain before the update and it turned out to be the Facebook app which I rarely use and even keep their push notifications turned off. It didn't show up in the list when viewing the battery stats but it showed a high android system usage like you are seeing. I had to force stop Facebook and clear its memory to fix the massive drain. This may not help with your situation but good luck and keep us posted when you get it figured out.
I don't have Facebook app and just like sandman mine looks nothing like what you're getting. Consider yourself lucky!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I may have solved this problem. Days ago I found that thread that said to reset all the battery optimization settings. That seemed to work for a few hours, but then the phone started getting warm and burning through the battery again. Fail.

I kept reading through that thread and some owners said they also reset all app permissions, which worked for them. I've since done that and it's now been two days since I've had the battery problem. I've never gone that long since this started without the phone heating up and sucking down the battery. The phone stays nice and cool (other than when I wirelessly charge, which was normal before Android 7 for it to get warm), and battery life is better than it's ever been. The only app permission I've reauthorized since the reset are those requested for AccuWeather.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A little recharge on my way home, but this is MUCH better! More importantly, Android System used to always be at the top of the battery app usage list, no matter how much or little I used the phone. Now it's way down there.

Attachments

• 6943.jpg
    6943.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 47

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine started getting warm like this yesterday. Seemed to be after I installed Android Pay. Drained my battery last night and still doing it this morning. I turned off NFC which I assume Android Pay uses and the phone cooled off. I may have to do the reset permissions thing as well. I've got a Moto X Pure on AT&T but still on Marshmallow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC