04-29-2018 12:56 PM
45 12
tools
    Did you change the battery yourself or take it to a shop that can open phones & replace batteries?
    I replaced it myself. It's not so bad. If you've never worked inside a phone, I don't recommend it, but of the three repairs I've done, it was the easiest. I'm sure there's a shop near you that would let you do a "bring your own" battery repair. I bought this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery-FB55-for-Motorola-XT1585-Droid-Turbo-2-XT1581-SNN5958A-Moto-X-Force/292066228401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
    but it was $25 when I bought it. Maybe they'll cut you a deal. Word to the wise, I review the battery highly, but as prior reviews state, the tiny T-4 screwdriver included is crap. I would have been shut down on a single stubborn one of the 17 T-4 screws that hold the two halves of this phone together. Whoever fixes it will need the adhesive thingee to put the back cover back on, as well.
    03-20-2018 09:29 AM
    Yeah I've never opened up a phone before so wouldn't do it myself. Not 100% sure what the model number of my Moto X Force is I no it starts with XT.
    03-20-2018 09:53 AM
    Ok my phone just restarted itseft at 77%. My phone was hot as I had been playing a game. Is this normal?
    03-23-2018 08:42 AM
    I feel like there's enough evidence in this thread that this particular phone with these particular batteries will do a force-quit on Android any time the battery can't supply the current being requested. I'm guessing that the failing batteries can't supply the rate of battery current, and it is only slightly related to how much charge is left at that moment.

Short answer:
    If you suspect, even a little, that your battery might be failing - Yes. Normal.

As an update, a week in and my phone is definitely back to it's original all-day-lasting self with the replacement battery.
    doogald likes this.
    03-23-2018 12:30 PM
    I feel like there's enough evidence in this thread that this particular phone with these particular batteries will do a force-quit on Android any time the battery can't supply the current being requested.
    No, this happens with any battery powered electronic device with a bad battery. This is nothing unique to the V20. Heck, that was the whole point behind Apple slowing down phones with weak batteries, to prevent this from happening on them too.
    03-23-2018 12:45 PM
    No, this happens with any battery powered electronic device with a bad battery. This is nothing unique to the V20. Heck, that was the whole point behind Apple slowing down phones with weak batteries, to prevent this from happening on them too.
    Well, this particular phone in question is a Moto X Force (same hardware as the Verizon Droid Turbo 2), but, again, I agree that's probably what's happening on a two or two-plus year old phone. I wonder what would happen if the phone was being charged by, say, a battery pack while playing the game?
    03-23-2018 02:05 PM
    Well, this particular phone in question is a Moto X Force (same hardware as the Verizon Droid Turbo 2), but, again, I agree that's probably what's happening on a two or two-plus year old phone. I wonder what would happen if the phone was being charged by, say, a battery pack while playing the game?
    Oops, I got my threads mixed up and thought I was in the V20 section. XD

To your question, it likely wouldn't be any different than if you had it plugged in to a wall outlet, except it wouldn't be unlimited power. As long as the pack can output enough current and voltage, it should make up for the shortcoming of the phone's battery.
    03-23-2018 02:28 PM
    I play Pokemon go with my phone connected to a power bank & it charges fine on the power bank but a bit slower if I'm playing Pokemon go.
    03-23-2018 05:50 PM
    I play Pokemon go with my phone connected to a power bank & it charges fine on the power bank but a bit slower if I'm playing Pokemon go.
    But doesn’t shut down while you’re playing? I’m wondering if that’s a workaround for you until a you replace the phone.
    03-24-2018 09:43 PM
    Luckily the phones hasn't shut down when charging.
    03-25-2018 03:04 AM
    Add me to the list. Mine has been doing it for over a month now. I'm kind of mad because I had the extended warranty, so this phone should only be about a little over a year old now, can't remember for sure. Pretty sure it was a refurb, which would be ok except I expected a new battery at least even in a refurb. I also think the screen wasn't in there quite 100% perfectly and now it has missing bezel pieces (different post). can't decide what to do. Never loved the camera. My son has a Galaxy that takes pics as good as my fairly new digital camera...but would like to wait for prices to drop and to see what else comes out this spring. Has Motorola stepped up its camera game yet? Meanwhile, this power down at random times iafter 25% is quite annoying, and it's getting down to 20% (danger zone) by late afternoon these days. I have changed an iphone 4 screen before, so maybe I'll try this....but I have to be ready with a plan if I kill the phone...
    04-04-2018 11:50 PM
    Looks like my phone will shut off at any percentage now it's done it a few times at 41% & once at 77%. The phone is 2 years & 1 month old now. I'm having to charge the phone 2-3 times a day now too which is normal. Shame the phone I want isn't out yet.
    04-06-2018 05:31 PM
    Looks like my phone will shut off at any percentage now it's done it a few times at 41% & once at 77%. The phone is 2 years & 1 month old now. I'm having to charge the phone 2-3 times a day now too which is normal. Shame the phone I want isn't out yet.
    Exactly where I was at, before changing my battery. I' haven't had to charge mid-day since I swapped and I have pushed it with usage a few times.

I actually kind of want the LG V30, but spending the $30 for a new battery is better than the $840 Verizon wants for the V30. I'm gonna push this beast as far as I can.
    04-08-2018 07:25 PM
    I feel like just getting a cheap android phone to last me until the phone I want comes out. At least then this phone would stop turning itself off. Done it again just now at 28%. Getting quite annoyed now.
    04-08-2018 08:33 PM
    Any tips on how to make this battery last a bit longer as it seems to turn itself off at any percentage now. Is there a sweet spot where it won't do it?
    04-29-2018 09:42 AM
    Any tips on how to make this battery last a bit longer as it seems to turn itself off at any percentage now. Is there a sweet spot where it won't do it?
    From here: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...e-battery-life

Those tips may help. In particular, have you tried Battery Saver or Doze Mode?
    04-29-2018 11:05 AM
    It's unlikely there's anything you can do to keep it going longer, especially since you game on it. Unless you can find a shop able to replace the battery, about all you can do at this point is keep a power bank handy, if not actually keeping the phone plugged in the entire time.
    04-29-2018 11:11 AM
    From here: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...e-battery-life

Those tips may help. In particular, have you tried Battery Saver or Doze Mode?
    Doze mode should kick in automatically when I lock the screen. Maybe I should try a day using battery saver mode & see if my phone turns itself off. Will just be annoying that emails won't sync etc.

@Mooncatt I only need the phone to last about 2 more months then hopefully the phone I want will be out. Looks like I'll have to keep it plugged in when I game even if it's at 100%?

The battery does great on standby though. Last night I left the phone at 63% while I slept & in the morning when I woke up it was still on 63%.
    04-29-2018 12:16 PM
    @Mooncatt I only need the phone to last about 2 more months then hopefully the phone I want will be out. Looks like I'll have to keep it plugged in when I game even if it's at 100%?
    For gaming, I would in this case. It's not what I'd recommend for healthy batteries, but yours sounds like it's so far gone as to not matter much anymore.
    04-29-2018 12:29 PM
    Yeah I think the battery is to far gone. Shame I didn't see this coming really. Never thought my phone would just turn itself off. I'm gonna try using it in power saving mode while not gaming & see if it still turns itself off.
    04-29-2018 12:56 PM
45 12