Phone shut off at 17% is the battery failing?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone started turning off before we got the cold weather here in the UK but now it is really cold outside. I've noticed that playing Pokemon go while walking the dog in the cold my phone goes cold when the game normally warms the phone up so my phone battery has been exposed to coldness now too but I look at the battery temperature on GSam battery monitor & it says 16 degrees C which is the lowest I've seen the temperature on my phone. How cold can it be for the battery to not be affected.

When I get my next phone I'll charge it whenever even if it only needs a little top up. I'll also read that battery article too.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I 100% agree with this diagnosis. My phone shuts off suddenly when battery is between 40 and 50%. Today, at 56%. When it does this, it won't start back up again until I plug it in. Trying to turn on, it shows me an empty battery with a red line at the bottom. After plugging in for a second, it suddenly remembers "Oh yeah, I have nearly half battery" and starts up again.

Guessing the solution is still to replace the battery, but not finding an OEM replacement. Anyone here have a brand they have good experience with?

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I've managed to stop my phone turning off by just charging it whenever. Obviously if I let it go between 15% & 26% it can still do it but I never let it get that low anymore.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Things got so bad that attempting to snap a picture Saturday, with a mere 67% batter, shut down my phone. Luckily, I had snagged a $25 battery off eBay. Everything is back to normal. Battery life is full day again and no more blackouts.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Things got so bad that attempting to snap a picture Saturday, with a mere 67% batter, shut down my phone. Luckily, I had snagged a $25 battery off eBay. Everything is back to normal. Battery life is full day again and no more blackouts.

Did you change the battery yourself or take it to a shop that can open phones & replace batteries?

My phone shut off at 41% the other day when I was playing a game. Now I'm a bit cautious playing that game at 40% battery. I can't wait for HTC to release there U12 plus as I'm trying to hold off till that phone is released.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Did you change the battery yourself or take it to a shop that can open phones & replace batteries?

I replaced it myself. It's not so bad. If you've never worked inside a phone, I don't recommend it, but of the three repairs I've done, it was the easiest. I'm sure there's a shop near you that would let you do a "bring your own" battery repair. I bought this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery-FB55-for-Motorola-XT1585-Droid-Turbo-2-XT1581-SNN5958A-Moto-X-Force/292066228401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
but it was $25 when I bought it. Maybe they'll cut you a deal. Word to the wise, I review the battery highly, but as prior reviews state, the tiny T-4 screwdriver included is crap. I would have been shut down on a single stubborn one of the 17 T-4 screws that hold the two halves of this phone together. Whoever fixes it will need the adhesive thingee to put the back cover back on, as well.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've never opened up a phone before so wouldn't do it myself. Not 100% sure what the model number of my Moto X Force is I no it starts with XT.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I feel like there's enough evidence in this thread that this particular phone with these particular batteries will do a force-quit on Android any time the battery can't supply the current being requested. I'm guessing that the failing batteries can't supply the rate of battery current, and it is only slightly related to how much charge is left at that moment.

Short answer:
If you suspect, even a little, that your battery might be failing - Yes. Normal.

As an update, a week in and my phone is definitely back to it's original all-day-lasting self with the replacement battery.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel like there's enough evidence in this thread that this particular phone with these particular batteries will do a force-quit on Android any time the battery can't supply the current being requested.

No, this happens with any battery powered electronic device with a bad battery. This is nothing unique to the V20. Heck, that was the whole point behind Apple slowing down phones with weak batteries, to prevent this from happening on them too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
No, this happens with any battery powered electronic device with a bad battery. This is nothing unique to the V20. Heck, that was the whole point behind Apple slowing down phones with weak batteries, to prevent this from happening on them too.

Well, this particular phone in question is a Moto X Force (same hardware as the Verizon Droid Turbo 2), but, again, I agree that's probably what's happening on a two or two-plus year old phone. I wonder what would happen if the phone was being charged by, say, a battery pack while playing the game?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, this particular phone in question is a Moto X Force (same hardware as the Verizon Droid Turbo 2), but, again, I agree that's probably what's happening on a two or two-plus year old phone. I wonder what would happen if the phone was being charged by, say, a battery pack while playing the game?
Oops, I got my threads mixed up and thought I was in the V20 section. XD

To your question, it likely wouldn't be any different than if you had it plugged in to a wall outlet, except it wouldn't be unlimited power. As long as the pack can output enough current and voltage, it should make up for the shortcoming of the phone's battery.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I play Pokemon go with my phone connected to a power bank & it charges fine on the power bank but a bit slower if I'm playing Pokemon go.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I play Pokemon go with my phone connected to a power bank & it charges fine on the power bank but a bit slower if I'm playing Pokemon go.

But doesn’t shut down while you’re playing? I’m wondering if that’s a workaround for you until a you replace the phone.

Cindy B1

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list. Mine has been doing it for over a month now. I'm kind of mad because I had the extended warranty, so this phone should only be about a little over a year old now, can't remember for sure. Pretty sure it was a refurb, which would be ok except I expected a new battery at least even in a refurb. I also think the screen wasn't in there quite 100% perfectly and now it has missing bezel pieces (different post). can't decide what to do. Never loved the camera. My son has a Galaxy that takes pics as good as my fairly new digital camera...but would like to wait for prices to drop and to see what else comes out this spring. Has Motorola stepped up its camera game yet? Meanwhile, this power down at random times iafter 25% is quite annoying, and it's getting down to 20% (danger zone) by late afternoon these days. I have changed an iphone 4 screen before, so maybe I'll try this....but I have to be ready with a plan if I kill the phone...

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Looks like my phone will shut off at any percentage now it's done it a few times at 41% & once at 77%. The phone is 2 years & 1 month old now. I'm having to charge the phone 2-3 times a day now too which is normal. Shame the phone I want isn't out yet.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my phone will shut off at any percentage now it's done it a few times at 41% & once at 77%. The phone is 2 years & 1 month old now. I'm having to charge the phone 2-3 times a day now too which is normal. Shame the phone I want isn't out yet.

Exactly where I was at, before changing my battery. I' haven't had to charge mid-day since I swapped and I have pushed it with usage a few times.

I actually kind of want the LG V30, but spending the $30 for a new battery is better than the $840 Verizon wants for the V30. I'm gonna push this beast as far as I can.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel like just getting a cheap android phone to last me until the phone I want comes out. At least then this phone would stop turning itself off. Done it again just now at 28%. Getting quite annoyed now.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Any tips on how to make this battery last a bit longer as it seems to turn itself off at any percentage now. Is there a sweet spot where it won't do it?