View Poll Results: Which will you choose: Moto X 2014 or Droid Turbo (Verizon only)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will buy Moto X 2014 now

2 10.53%
  • I will wait for Droid Turbo to be released

17 89.47%
10-28-2014 12:52 PM
95 1234
tools
    The Moto X has the best BSI-CMOS sensor currently made (same Sony sensor also in the S5 and G3). The photos I'm getting out of mine are great, but there is a bit of an inconsistency in the image processing that will be improved with a firmware upgrade as was the case with the 1st gen (which didn't have this sensor).

If you are waiting for better hardware camera wise you will be disappointed.
    Anonne likes this.
    10-03-2014 09:58 PM
    What do you mean by doesn't really compare? There are many articles out there saying that it might be the best Android phone ever, but your inner spec ***** is getting the best of you.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-03-2014 10:08 PM
    You're are right. I did overlook the speed comment. One thing that is weird is that I have not found anything that states what kind of speeds to expect with XLTE. Unless you are doing some heavy downloading, I'm not sure you would notice between the 2 phones (S5 and X) from day to day use. If it's really that important to you, then I can understand.

As far as the phone not comparing to other flagships, it does quite well. It's fast (many reviewers and users are backing this up), has great useful features (Moto Voice etc..), a really good screen, and has really good build quality. So far, most users are showing good battery results (look in these forums). I will give you the camera lacking. It would be good enough for me but I can see where some would be disappointed. The thing is the OG X proved you didn't need the greatest specs to be an awesome phone. The second gen added the better specs and then some. The Moto X has never been about specs, it's been about the experience. The X showed me that its not just whats on paper that makes a smart phone. I'm realizing that not everyone gets it.
    Anonne and On2Vegas like this.
    10-03-2014 10:14 PM
    You are just reading spec sheets..I understand thats what people do buying a new android phone ( not iOS folks) but og x has proven its not just about specs it's about the whole experience and they are not many phones out there that can beat it in that department.

Also update to support volte will hit moto x this fall

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-03-2014 10:44 PM
    I was responding to your original comment that "For the foreseeable future Moto will still operate in NA, even after the sale is final." This is not true for manufacturing and sourcing of parts, just as you corrected yourself above those are already in China. I'm confident that once Lenovo is in control, they will move the remainder of Moto Mobility divisions to China in order to consolidate operations, and more seamlessly manage and collaborate the company alongside all the Moto manufacturing already present there.

All of this points to the writing on the wall - that the fast software updates and "Pure Android" experience we enjoyed from recent Moto Phones are going to be a thing of the past, not the future. And I'm not sure that's worth risking a purchase of a new Moto phone that I would intend on keeping/using for at least the next 2 years. Especially with a major update to Android L right around the corner, this is doubly risky.
    I think the fast updates owe themselves more to the fact that they run an almost Nexus like build of Android. I believe that any of the tweaks that Motorola has put on the Droid/Moto X phones like Active Display, Touchless Controls, Assist, etc have been moved out of the core OS and into the Playstore. Even if they were getting the update early from Google, the fact that now there's almost nothing they need to rework on the software front to get the updates out should mean that fast updates are still achievable. As long as Lenovo sticks with their plan of being hands off and doesn't want to put a skin back on these phones, there's no reason they can't keep that up.

My reasoning for this conclusion is that, other than the Nexus series, who running an almost stock build of Android? The answer is no one. I'd bet if HTC, LG, or Samsung followed Motorola's example, they could have fast updates as well. HTC has made some progress in that way, decoupling some of their apps like Zoe and Blinkfeed from the core OS and putting them in the Playstore. Now when a major OS update comes out, they don't have to worry about also updating those apps to push the OS update, they can update them afterwards. And similarly, if there's an issue with an app that's been decoupled from the core OS, they can update them much quicker than if they weren't separate.

This is by no means a given that what I outlined will 100% happen, but I also think it shows that it's possible without a ton of effort. I also think Lenovo recognized the appeal of what Motorola did last year by going with a near stock build and focusing more on the user experience.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    10-04-2014 02:48 AM
    I will not be buying the new Motorola X. I saw the bamboo back, which I wanted months ago, but now I'm over it.

Verizon has a display model and it is not what I expected. Cross that off my list. So, now it's either Droid turbo, Sony Xperia Z3, maybe the Nexus 6, or IPhone.

Phone junkie
    10-04-2014 07:37 AM
    Don't forget that the Turbo will likely be much more expensive. Wasn't the Droid maxx $300 ON contract when it first came out?

10-04-2014 08:26 AM
    Also consider that the X will likely get OS updates much quicker.

That said, if specs are your thing, then the X probably isn't for you. Of course, as far as I know, there are only a couple of phones out that have the specs you described, so I don't know what you where looking for. Only you can decide what's right for.
    10-04-2014 09:32 AM
    Don't forget that the Turbo will likely be much more expensive. Wasn't the Droid maxx $300 ON contract when it first came out?

I think it was $199, since it was only 599 off contract.
    10-04-2014 09:35 AM
    I think it was $199, since it was only 599 off contract.
    I think he's right. It may have dropped in price pretty quickly, but I remember thinking it was shockingly expensive when it first came available.

Sent from my Moto X
    10-04-2014 10:02 AM
    Nope it was 299$ on contact when it came out

10-04-2014 10:03 AM
    What do you mean by doesn't really compare? There are many articles out there saying that it might be the best Android phone ever, but your inner spec ***** is getting the best of you.

I compared the photos from my LG G2 and 2014 Moto X and I'm sorry but their is no comparison. The G2 is a year old which doesn't say much for the Moto X. Maybe it's because of the OIS but the G2 pictures are so much better. I like the Moto X and would like to keep it. Can I do something to greatly improve the camera on the Moto X or is possible?
    10-04-2014 10:08 AM
    I compared the photos from my LG G2 and 2014 Moto X and I'm sorry but their is no comparison. The G2 is a year old which doesn't say much for the Moto X. Maybe it's because of the OIS but the G2 pictures are so much better. I like the Moto X and would like to keep it. Can I do something to greatly improve the camera on the Moto X or is possible?
    With the small amount of time I've had to use the camera so far, it seems that the biggest issue I'm having is inconsistency with focus. Sometimes it's quick to lock on and sometimes not so much - with the stock app. Using the Google camera app, tap to focus seems quicker to lock on and holds focus a little better. Image quality seems fine though in normal lighting, just a little grainy in lower light conditions. You may want to give the Google camera app a try. The phone has a good camera sensor, it may be that some firmware adjustments are needed and hopefully will come. In the meantime, the pictures are fine for my use and needs anyway.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    10-04-2014 10:18 AM
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about just the camera, but the phone as a whole.
    10-04-2014 10:48 AM
    I've had the Droid Maxx HD for two years. Loved the extra battery life. Camera and weight not so much. My contract with Verizon expired a couple of weeks ago and I jumped on the Moto X (2nd Gen) - 32 gb, ebony. It is a little lighter than the HD Maxx, even though it has a bigger screen (4.7 vs. 5.2) and also thinner and more "pocketable." I really like this. I assume the the Droid Turbo, which will also have a 5.2 inch screen, will have a bigger battery than the X, which means heavier, thicker, and less pocketable. I am extremely happy with my ebony wood backed X2, and the battery life is much better than expected. Also love the active screen function and virtually stock Android software build. I only have 12 more days on my return option. Pretty sure I'm going to keep it.
    dmark44 and acedl like this.
    10-04-2014 10:55 AM
    Moving many of the core apps into separate updates by both Google and Moto has improved the performance of the phone and simplified the update process. I have read that Lenovo intends to pretty much leave Moto alone in NA as it is an asset and has a share of the NA market. One of the reasons they want Moto is for things like the G or E to use in the huge untouched emerging markets of the world. In my opinion we wont see a lot of difference in the way Moto works if you liv in the EU or NA. Just my opinion. I also believe that the hang up on updates is the carriers VZW being the worst. I was pleased on how fast my Droid Maxx was updated. The Nexus 6 looks like it might be good if you want a really large phone.
    10-04-2014 11:21 AM
    Nope it was 299$ on contact when it came out

Ah, I do remember them dropping to $99 for a time shortly after its debut. And when they cut it from 32 to 16gb, I wanted to smack someone! That's ridiculous, IMO.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-04-2014 12:10 PM
    Moto's sale went through? The last news just said it'd be closed by the end of Q2. That's 0 to 8 months from now. Interesting tidbit... the 2014 X's seem to be shipping from Fort Worth still.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    10-04-2014 12:32 PM
    I agree.

Is it getting Moto Voice and likes? Would assume as last year Droids did but that could be another distinguishing factor between the two phones. Cause this phone will tick off a lot of VZW '14 X owners that have issues with the specs. Either way, I believe that performance will be similar with the X having an 801 and 1080p and the Turbo having 805 and 2K. It will be interesting to see the official details on this as I'm open for an upgrade right now.
    I'm trying to decide between whatever this phone turns out to be or the Note 4. I love the specs but would prefer just 1080p screen to help with battery life and performance..
    10-04-2014 12:36 PM
    The Moto X has the best BSI-CMOS sensor currently made (same Sony sensor also in the S5 and G3).
    This is simply wrong! The S5 uses a custom 16MP Samsung sensor. And the IMX135 is simply not the best sensor made. The IMX240 in the Note 4 is significanly better in terms of Sony sensors, the Z3 sensor is also better, and of course the sensors in the Nokia 808 and 1020 are hands down way better.

X 2014 lacks OIS. Reviews are demonstrating poor camera performance.
    Jdroids and robstunner like this.
    10-04-2014 12:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about just the camera, but the phone as a whole.
    Yes, I was speaking about the phone as a whole. I never understood people who are so stuck on the camera. If you want top quality, buy an actual camera. Expecting a phone to be as good as an actual camera is unrealistic to me. But then, I'm not in a profession that needs a good camera like that all the time. This camera is suitable for average people who are not always using the camera. But then, people are certainly free to pay 100 to 250 more for a phone to get a better camera.

mhunter6378 and 1dtbrown like this.
    10-04-2014 01:26 PM
    Those of you on Verizon do have more Motorola choices than those of us on AT&T. I've always preferred Motorola phones if given a choice, and I nearly jumped ship to Verizon just for that reason before the 2013 Moto X came out. I love the X, but I can see the lure of the Turbo for some people.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-04-2014 01:42 PM
    Going to return my X for the turbo whenever it comes out. I like the X a lot but that battery life is kind of sketchy.

Sent from my iPhone or my soon to be Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    10-04-2014 01:46 PM
    If this phone is what I *think* it's going to be, done deal, it's my next buy. If not, probably go to the Moto X.
    10-04-2014 03:37 PM
    I'll Edge Up my M8 for this based on the rumors. A rep talked me out of the X. Said the battery life wasn't as good as the M8...

From HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    10-04-2014 03:38 PM
95 1234