View Poll Results: Which will you choose: Moto X 2014 or Droid Turbo (Verizon only)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will buy Moto X 2014 now

2 10.53%
  • I will wait for Droid Turbo to be released

17 89.47%
10-28-2014 12:52 PM
95 1234
tools
    I'll Edge Up my M8 for this based on the rumors. A rep talked me out of the X. Said the battery life wasn't as good as the M8...

From HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    You must be new here. I'll let you in on a little something-reps have no clue what they're talking about. None. Spend ten minutes on this site and you will know at least twice as much as every rep combined. Never believe anything any of them say. They might occasionally luck into the right answer, but asking them questions is asking for trouble.
    10-04-2014 03:49 PM
    I'll Edge Up my M8 for this based on the rumors. A rep talked me out of the X. Said the battery life wasn't as good as the M8...

The rep was correct. X can't touch the m8 as far as battery goes.
    ekyle likes this.
    10-04-2014 03:52 PM
    You must be new here. I'll let you in on a little something-reps have no clue what they're talking about. None. Spend ten minutes on this site and you will know at least twice as much as every rep combined. Never believe anything any of them say. They might occasionally luck into the right answer, but asking them questions is asking for trouble.
    New to the site, not to smartphones or reps lol. Mostly what he said coupled with what I've read from other reviews. Spec-wise the battery is larger in the M8 and the M8 doesn't have as much extra stuff running in the background.

I haven't completely discounted it yet but getting a 32GB model on an Edge plan seems like it's kind of a hassle.

Either way this new phone sounds nice.

10-04-2014 03:57 PM
    I think with a lot of good phones out there that have a sound overall experience, the camera becomes a difference-maker. I would love to consider the Moto X, but there are so many other phones with better cameras. There's no reason to settle for a substandard camera with all the other options available..
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    10-04-2014 04:02 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up. I had read a review by somebody who seemed knowledgeable and made that exact claim.

I am happy with the camera on mine, and fwiw I also have an iPhone 6 (as well as a Nikon D600 with Sigma ART lenses, for when I need the best of the best).

This is simply wrong! The S5 uses a custom 16MP Samsung sensor. And the IMX135 is simply not the best sensor made. The IMX240 in the Note 4 is significanly better in terms of Sony sensors, the Z3 sensor is also better, and of course the sensors in the Nokia 808 and 1020 are hands down way better.

X 2014 lacks OIS. Reviews are demonstrating poor camera performance.
    10-04-2014 04:12 PM
    Do you have Google Now running? I do have it running, and nevertheless make it through the day quite easily, with pretty heavy usage. Battery life is slightly (~20%) better for me than with Nexus 5. Slightly worse (~10-20%) than iPhone 6.

Try without Now. If you still don't make it through the day you either must have had an gigantic battery in the phone before or have a faulty one in your X.
    10-04-2014 04:14 PM
    Yes, I was speaking about the phone as a whole. I never understood people who are so stuck on the camera. If you want top quality, buy an actual camera. Expecting a phone to be as good as an actual camera is unrealistic to me. But then, I'm not in a profession that needs a good camera like that all the time. This camera is suitable for average people who are not always using the camera. But then, people are certainly free to pay 100 to 250 more for a phone to get a better camera.

Posted via Android Central App
    I'm not "stuck" on a camera but it is one of the most important factors to me. I have a 12 daughter and I take a lot of spur of the moment pictures. I had thought (mistakenly) that Motorola would have addressed the camera issue since they bumped up everything to compete with all the flagships
    10-04-2014 04:35 PM
    Don't forget that the Turbo will likely be much more expensive. Wasn't the Droid maxx $300 ON contract when it first came out?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Damn!!! 300.00. I hope not. I'll just jump ship on android then.

Phone junkie
    10-04-2014 04:47 PM
    Anybody else surprised that Moto X 2014 still doesn't include MicroSD support
    No. If you expected microSD support, then you haven't been paying attention.

I wouldn't expect the Droid Turbo to include microSD support, either.
    10-04-2014 05:48 PM
    I'm not "stuck" on a camera but it is one of the most important factors to me. I have a 12 daughter and I take a lot of spur of the moment pictures. I had thought (mistakenly) that Motorola would have addressed the camera issue since they bumped up everything to compete with all the flagships
    You weren't mistaken, it just is not to your apparent satisfaction. If you cannot tell by the spec alone that the camera is improved, that is your issue. No, the camera is not perfect. A software update might take care of it. But again, you are free to go and spend $100 to $250 more on a phone with a more consistent camera.

10-04-2014 07:18 PM
    I was thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering the Moto X on Friday from Verizon. It was going to be through Motomaker. Then I heard about the Droid turbo and decided that I am going to wait. I believe that the Turbo will be released within the next 2 weeks from what I saw. I also heard that Verizon might be getting the Nexxus 6 as well.
    10-04-2014 07:27 PM
    You weren't mistaken, it just is not to your apparent satisfaction. If you cannot tell by the spec alone that the camera is improved, that is your issue. No, the camera is not perfect. A software update might take care of it. But again, you are free to go and spend $100 to $250 more on a phone with a more consistent camera.

Really? Well I think most of the reviews also say it is an ok camera,still not up to par with the other flagships. I guess my point is for an almost $ 600 phone the camera would be better. And I don't really have to spend more. The Nexus 5 or OnePlus One both have equal or better cameras for $200 less
    10-04-2014 07:38 PM
    Really? Well I think most of the reviews also say it is an ok camera,still not up to par with the other flagships. I guess my point is for an almost $ 600 phone the camera would be better. And I don't really have to spend more. The Nexus 5 or OnePlus One both have equal or better cameras for $200 less
    Don't think nexus 5 is any bettet

10-04-2014 07:43 PM
    I have an Eye-fi card in my Nikon DSLR. When I want to share a quality photo, or have it display on Dayframe, I just mark the photo on-camera, and it transfers to my Moto X.

No, I don't always have the Nikon with me, but when something important is going on I do...
    Sent from my Moto X
    10-04-2014 07:44 PM
    It is $499 for the 16 GB version. Other phones cost near $600 and the vaunted iPhone 6 at 16 GB is $650.

dmark44 likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:50 PM
    I have an Eye-fi card in my Nikon DSLR. When I want to share a quality photo, or have it display on Dayframe, I just mark the photo on-camera, and it transfers to my Moto X.

No, I don't always have the Nikon with me, but when something important is going on I do...
    Sent from my Moto X
    Exactly... I have a DSLR and a very good point & shoot that I use when I know I want really good pictures. I use my "phone" when I just want to take a snapshot of something and when I'm out and about and run across something I want to capture.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:53 PM
    It is $499 for the 16 GB version. Other phones cost near $600 and the vaunted iPhone 6 at 16 GB is $650.

I don't know where you get your prices from. Nexus 5 is $349 +tax 16 gb $399 +tax 32gb
    I guess we agree to disagree. You are happy with the phone I am not. That is why Android is so great,choices,choices,choices
    10-04-2014 07:56 PM
    I was speaking about the price of the X. It is not $600 unless you get a premium back and 32 GB storage. But comparing apples to apples, the base model is nowhere near $600. "I don't know where you get your prices from."

10-04-2014 08:00 PM
    The Moto X has the best BSI-CMOS sensor currently made (same Sony sensor also in the S5 and G3). The photos I'm getting out of mine are great, but there is a bit of an inconsistency in the image processing that will be improved with a firmware upgrade as was the case with the 1st gen (which didn't have this sensor).

If you are waiting for better hardware camera wise you will be disappointed.
    Still perplexed at where you got this misinformation.
    10-04-2014 09:29 PM
    If you just care about camera and nothing else in a phone moto x is not for you .. i could say that for 600$ phone Samsung s5 lags.. Moto x s it's own pros compared to other flagship's It has better speaker, call quality , innovative and useful features, fast software updates , and it just works it flies and is very fast ..if These things don't matter to you as much as much as best in class camera and won't accept a average to decent camera, moto phones are not for you

10-04-2014 10:02 PM
    It's just too bad that the Droid line of phones for Verizon have always looked like they were designed to appeal to teenage virgins. If they made them look less ridiculous, VZW might actually be able to use high-spec phones like this to bring in new customers.
    10-04-2014 11:06 PM
    It's just too bad that the Droid line of phones for Verizon have always looked like they were designed to appeal to teenage virgins. If they made them look less ridiculous, VZW might actually be able to use high-spec phones like this to bring in new customers.
    They need to look like HARDCORE EXPLOSION SWORD ANGLE GUN MOTORCYCLE ROBOT BOOM LEATHER machines.
    10-05-2014 08:40 AM
    Have you guys seen the news about the Droid Turbo specs?

It appears that the Droid Turbo has the same size screen (5.2") and will include MUCH improved processor (Snapdragon 805), RAM (3GB), display (QHD), camera (19MP), and *possibly* MicroSD support all within a relatively similar form factor to the Moto X 2014. These are all the things I would have expected from the "flagship" Moto X 2014, with the exception of a huge Maxx-like battery. The Turbo will supposedly be announced and *possibly* released later in October.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to return my custom Moto X 2014 (if it ever gets delivered) so I can buy the Turbo. I can't imagine the form factor will be much larger for the Turbo over the X considering they both have 5.2" displays and the pics show the Turbo next to the Droid Maxx. However, the larger battery will make it a little bulkier but totally worth it for multi-day use without a charge, especially in poor 4GLTE areas like mine.

PS. Anybody else surprised that Moto X 2014 still doesn't include MicroSD support and doesn't support XLTE at higher bandwith than 42Mbps? It's not really a flagship phone considering the only mediocre camera. The only reason I might keep it is the custom built colors I designed on Moto Maker. We'll see, I've got a 14 day return period to make the decision once it's delivered. Is anybody else going to return their newly purchased Moto X for the Droid Turbo or are you just gonna wait for the Turbo to be released?
    I was surprised when I physically held the device in my hands. The bamboo back was my choice but when I saw it I was disappointed.

Specs are nice, but the feel in my hands was not what I wanted. I will not be buying this phone after all.

Phone junkie
    10-05-2014 09:00 AM
    Design is probably one of the last things on my decision list of what I want in a phone.
    10-05-2014 11:09 AM
    Design is probably one of the last things on my decision list of what I want in a phone.
    That's fair. You're entitled to shop any way you like. But to me, "looks" are more than just appearance, because these are devices that we have to physically interact with constantly. The Droid line loves making hideous, uncomfortable slabs as their phones. They aren't ergonomic to hold, and they can be bulky when carried around. that makes a difference to me. (And in truth, you won't see too many adult professionals walking around with a phone like the Droid Ultra).

Conversely, when it comes to specs, I find a lot of these incremental upgrades do virtually nothing for day-to-day experience. UHD display on a 5" phone? Come on... 3GB of RAM vs. 2GB of RAM? Won't make a bit of difference. Yeah, maybe it will "future proof" your phone a little bit, but on average, Americans buy a new phone every 18 months. So how much "future proofing" do you need?

Of course, that's just my take. It isn't to criticize your methodology or anything.
    10-05-2014 12:04 PM
95 1234