Droid Turbo possibly set for a 10/31 release?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I've seen some silly stuff pop up on Twitter today about FrankenDroid?!? Could this be some kind of bread crumb trail hinting at a Halloween release of the Droid Turbo??? Wondering if anybody else has seen this or heard anything about a release date for it? I want a Turbo so badly and JUST CAN'T WAIT!

Coming from a Droid Razr M, I'm really looking forward to the amazing (larger) 5.2" QHD screen with a BIG battery to support all those pixels! Based on the leaked specs it appears to be a GS5 killer and possibly a Note4 killer as well with its Snapdragon 805, 3GB RAM, 19MP camera, and hopefully all the awesome Moto software that the Moto X has on board.

Anybody else holding out for the Turbo over the new Moto X, G3, Note4, and GS5? I just can't bring myself to purchase a Samsung phone again after my GS2 horror ride :mad:

Cheers! ;)

Randino77

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for it too, was going to get the new X, but VZW made that too difficult to get in edge, and the Turbo walks the dog on the X.

Posted via the Android Central App

nawadley

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting as well. I really want the X, but it doesn't seem to be offered on EDGE at the moment. I'm waiting to see what the Turbo brings, as my GNex is really on its last leg, but if they don't get it on shelves soon, I may have to find another way to get the X.

1dtbrown

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am interested in looking at this phone. I have owned nothing but Droids. I am comfortable with them and hope the turbo is a great phone. What does Moto X do?

Thanks

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting ever since I made the dumb mistake of trading in my old maxx for an s5. I don't care how good of a phone u have, if u are always searching for A charger its pointless.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
All of the most useless "features" packed into a phone specifically designed to appeal to spec-heads. Really, it's everything that Motorola's flagship wasn't supposed to be, but I guess since Moto phones didn't sell as well as they liked last year, they caved into pressure.

The truth is: we don't need more megapixels. We don't need QHD. We don't need 3GB of RAM. And an 805 processor won't show you any noticeable difference in performance over an 801, but people now consider an 801 to be a "deal breaker", which is insane.

I'm just not content with the spec bump annual upgrades; I'm not going to be sold by minor spec bumps that don't add anything to the user experience.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
All of the most useless "features" packed into a phone specifically designed to appeal to spec-heads. Really, it's everything that Motorola's flagship wasn't supposed to be, but I guess since Moto phones didn't sell as well as they liked last year, they caved into pressure.

The truth is: we don't need more megapixels. We don't need QHD. We don't need 3GB of RAM. And an 805 processor won't show you any noticeable difference in performance over an 801, but people now consider an 801 to be a "deal breaker", which is insane.

I'm just not content with the spec bump annual upgrades; I'm not going to be sold by minor spec bumps that don't add anything to the user experience.

Well... More megapixels in this case means a different camera module than last year or even the 2014 X, which *may* mean improved performance over the pretty crummy current offerings from Moto. That would certainly be a good thing. And while I agree that qHD seems excessive - golly does the G3 have a great screen. Everytng just looks so crisp and "real." Does anyone "need" that? No. But it's really nice to look at if it's available.

They may be over-compensating, but there's also no question that last year's X and Droids were a bit under-powered. Sure, these specs are incremental over the 2014 X and may be unnecessary, but they are leagues ahead of the Maxx/Ultra. Not minor in the slightest. Who cares the reason?

Lastly, if it has better battery life than the X - even if it doesn't match the Maxx - well, that's really all that's necessary to make it the superior choice. Literally every review of that phone laments that it's just abour the best Android phone ever, hampered by crappy battery life.

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Hmm...so I guess I do not have to worry about you coming before me in the pre-order line. Sounds very much like the people who brought the 2015 moto x and now see this (at least in rumor) is what they hoped the x would be. If I can afford it, I would buy the fastest car with the most features. Not that I need them often but I know if I do, I will have it available.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Well... More megapixels in this case means a different camera module than last year or even the 2014 X, which *may* mean improved performance over the pretty crummy current offerings from Moto. That would certainly be a good thing. And while I agree that qHD seems excessive - golly does the G3 have a great screen. Everytng just looks so crisp and "real." Does anyone "need" that? No. But it's really nice to look at if it's available.

They may be over-compensating, but there's also no question that last year's X and Droids were a bit under-powered. Sure, these specs are incremental over the 2014 X and may be unnecessary, but they are leagues ahead of the Maxx/Ultra. Not minor in the slightest. Who cares the reason?

Lastly, if it has better battery life than the X - even if it doesn't match the Maxx - well, that's really all that's necessary to make it the superior choice. Literally every review of that phone laments that it's just abour the best Android phone ever, hampered by crappy battery life.

Yes, I concede that the Moto X had a lousy camera, but megapixels aren't the answer. The iPhone gets by with an 8MP camera, but takes great photos. I feel that a lot of these companies don't give that any consideration and just think, "19 is better than 13" and call it a day. I also agree that battery life is important, and would definitely support improvements in that area.

But when it comes to screen quality, I can't tell the difference. Maybe some people can, but on a 5 inch display, it doesn't matter at all. Big screen TVs would be a different matter. And I don't really agree that the Moto X was "underpowered". Did it struggle to do anything? People got so upset that it didn't have a Snapdragon 600 (at least) in it, but where did the phone actually suffer in performance? Only in benchmarks, which don't mean anything.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...so I guess I do not have to worry about you coming before me in the pre-order line. Sounds very much like the people who brought the 2015 moto x and now see this (at least in rumor) is what they hoped the x would be. If I can afford it, I would buy the fastest car with the most features. Not that I need them often but I know if I do, I will have it available.
No, I just have to original Moto X. And you're probably right, you won't have to worry about me getting into the pre-order line ahead of you. :)

I guess in the end, I wouldn't end up getting the fastest sports car with the most features, even if I had the money. I'm a Honda Civic kind of guy, apparently. I don't like throwing my money into the bleeding edge of depreciating consumer goods. Phones especially are an issue in that the average American changes phones every 18 months. "Enthusiasts" go through multiple phones per year. So what is the "top of the line" now, will be considered a POS in 3 months, even if the upgrade is minimal.

More than that though, I want to see one of these companies innovate. I want them to think a little outside the box and consider what consumers really need to make their lives better. A higher pixel count on a tiny screen just doesn't cut it. (Btw, are there REALLY people out there who enjoy watching movies and Netflix on a smartphone?? That's gotta suck...)

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
No, I just have to original Moto X. And you're probably right, you won't have to worry about me getting into the pre-order line ahead of you. :)

I guess in the end, I wouldn't end up getting the fastest sports car with the most features, even if I had the money. I'm a Honda Civic kind of guy, apparently. I don't like throwing my money into the bleeding edge of depreciating consumer goods. Phones especially are an issue in that the average American changes phones every 18 months. "Enthusiasts" go through multiple phones per year. So what is the "top of the line" now, will be considered a POS in 3 months, even if the upgrade is minimal.

More than that though, I want to see one of these companies innovate. I want them to think a little outside the box and consider what consumers really need to make their lives better. A higher pixel count on a tiny screen just doesn't cut it. (Btw, are there REALLY people out there who enjoy watching movies and Netflix on a smartphone?? That's gotta suck...)
I agree with you on the importance for companies to innovate with useful features that fit our lifestyles rather than have spec wars. Motorola seems to be doing this in some of the great features they have come out with. I will actually miss the convenience of the s-pen when I give up my Note 2. Many think this feature is useless but when I need to write a quick note, you can't beat it. I do not know if the screen quality is overkill, I will have to see that but I am also one of those people with a 1 1/2 hour train commute each way so I do watch Netflix. Better than starring at the person sitting across from me. So screen quality is important to me. What is going to be the deciding factor for me is battery life. I want a battery that can make it through the day without me worrying about conserving. I hate being tether to an outlet and charger. Now if a company can come out with a new type of battery that holds more juice in a smaller, lighter form, that is useful innovation.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on the importance for companies to innovate with useful features that fit our lifestyles rather than have spec wars. Motorola seems to be doing this in some of the great features they have come out with. I will actually miss the convenience of the s-pen when I give up my Note 2. Many think this feature is useless but when I need to write a quick note, you can't beat it. I do not know if the screen quality is overkill, I will have to see that but I am also one of those people with a 1 1/2 hour train commute each way so I do watch Netflix. Better than starring at the person sitting across from me. So screen quality is important to me. What is going to be the deciding factor for me is battery life. I want a battery that can make it through the day without me worrying about conserving. I hate being tether to an outlet and charger. Now if a company can come out with a new type of battery that holds more juice in a smaller, lighter form, that is useful innovation.

Sounds like you may want to check out the Sony Z3.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
What are the drawbacks of the Z3 vs the new Moto X, other than its square edged uncomfortable design? I'm seriously considering the Z3 compact over the new Moto X but I've never seen or owned Sony phone.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
What are the drawbacks of the Z3 vs the new Moto X, other than its square edged uncomfortable design? I'm seriously considering the Z3 compact over the new Moto X but I've never seen or owned Sony phone.

If my carrier had the z3 I would jump on it in a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888