- almost stock skin
- will likely get updates on time
- big battery
- Moto software and sensors, which Nexus won't have
- kevlar

But then of course Verizon had to go screw it up -

- the chin and styling
- needed to be 5.5"
- capacitive buttons (which will look outdated the instant L is out)
- no sd card (every other premium phone now has these)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Things I don't like

You basically wanted a Galaxy Note which isn't what the Droid line is about. Motorola is making the new Nexus 6 which will feature a 5.9" display which may be up your alley. I would assume it'll have on screen buttons so it'll be about the size of the Note 4. I am just speculating on some stuff right now so don't hold me to it. :)

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I don't get this L-less button lament. Are you personally enamored with the L buttons? Or are you concerned that people you know or will interface with may see your old-skool buttons in the locker room and make fun of you? Or does this slight deviation from NEXT GENERATION design somehow diminish your satisfaction that this phone is the newest and best?

I'm being a little mocking, yes, but I'm genuinely curious. I keep seeing this gripe and it just didn't make sense. This is the least significant complaint I've yet seen.

Verizon didn't screw up the SD part, BTW. Neither generation of the X has an SD slot, nor has any Nexus device since the Nexus S. "No SD" is "Googlefied," not Verizonfied.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

its 5.2 did you not see the leaked droid turbo manual? (btw: the android L buttons are stupid and make no sense)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

its 5.2 did you not see the leaked droid turbo manual? (btw: the android L buttons are stupid and make no sense)

I think he means that he would have preferred the device to be 5.5", not that it is. I disagree with that requirement. 5.2" is plenty big without being full on phablet. I'll buy it at 5.2, but wouldn't at 5.5.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind, the LG G2 has a 5.2 inch screen with on screen buttons. That makes for about a 4.8 inch viewable when using anything that doesn't do immersive mode.
With capacitive buttons, this will always have 5.2 viewable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

The button shape doesn't matter that much. But software buttons can evolve, there are Google concept videos where they change based on context, new buttons can be added etc.

And the phone has a big chin so there was space to increase screen and add soft buttons while keeping same phone size.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Verizon didn't screw up the SD part, BTW. Neither generation of the X has an SD slot, nor has any Nexus device since the Nexus S. "No SD" is "Googlefied," not Verizonfied.

Its fine on a Nexus. A few years back HTC, LG etc had decided to follow Google and remove sd card support. But every other oem has now realized sd cards are good, and they are back. The Droid line belongs to Verizon, rthey can do as they wish. Lets not blame Moto/Google for this.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Its fine on a Nexus. A few years back HTC, LG etc had decided to follow Google and remove sd card support. But every other oem has now realized sd cards are good, and they are back. The Droid line belongs to Verizon, rthey can do as they wish. Lets not blame Moto/Google for this.
The nexus 5 also has a massive chin

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Moto is still owned by Google. It is reasonable to assume that that OEM still eschews SD because of its parent.

Nevertheless, the X doesn't belong to Verizon, neither do the AT&T/T-Mo Droid Maxx variants of this phone. So is your argument that this phone doesn't have SD because Verizon didn't demand it? Ergo, it's Verizon's fault? Really?

dcvanderbush

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Maybe the massive chin was designed to accommodate an equally massive battery... Then, without the capacitive buttons, the front would have looked outrageously large.

Just thinking out loud.

Posted via Android Central App

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Few concerns coming from an HTC DNA:

1) What will be the easiest way to mirror onto a TV? Don't think Chromecast has support yet and doubt my HTC Media Link will work.

2) With Kitkat update text reflow was busted so I didn't update. Will there be a decent workaround to this with another browser? I can't seem to find a working option. Also, I've heard flash has been a problem with some updates. Will I still be able to use flash for video?

Last two concerns were part of the reason I could never go to an iPhone but am afraid that Google has certainly made things less enviable if there are no workarounds.

Thanks.

Btw, the Turbo does seem clunky. Hope that chin isn't as big as seems. I kind of like a fully flat face.

MadManMoon

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I won't like it if it doesn't come with a Developer Edition on Verizon! This phone is exactly what I want, features and spec wise, but I won't go back to locked bootloaders!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I won't like it if it doesn't come with a Developer Edition on Verizon! This phone is exactly what I want, features and spec wise, but I won't go back to locked bootloaders!

How is the dev support on XDA for the developer/GPE Droid phones? Do they still run Moto's extra software?

MadManMoon

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

How is the dev support on XDA for the developer/GPE Droid phones? Do they still run Moto's extra software?
I'm not sure, since on my Droid Maxx Developer Edition all I did was unlock, root, and install Xposed and Gravity Box. That's all this phone needs!

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I think it really needs on screen buttons. But its not a deal killer. I just think it works look cleaner with them

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Keep in mind, the LG G2 has a 5.2 inch screen with on screen buttons. That makes for about a 4.8 inch viewable when using anything that doesn't do immersive mode.
With capacitive buttons, this will always have 5.2 viewable.

These are exactly my thoughts and the benefits of cap. buttons. Coming from a 4.3" Droid Razr M with in screen buttons (boo!) I assure you that you NEED cap. buttons for the extra screen space on any phone with a screen smaller than the Note.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps you may scoff at me, but I wish it had an LED notification light.
If this is your first Moto phone with the active display, trust me you will not miss the LED. The screen lights up when you pick it up or pull it out of your pocket. It also pulses when notifications come in. From the many reviews, you'll see that some of the best feature of the old X, new, X, Droids, are the app suite from Motorola and a huge reason the new X and Turbo are at the top of my list over the Z3, Nexus, and Edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair