10-24-2014 09:06 PM
61 123
tools
    Lol. I'm not the one who started with the inflammatory initial jab. All you had to do in your first post post was to say that my info wasn't correct in a friendly manner instead of derogatorily accusing me of making up the info. Some people can't accept the fact that they may have been wrong their actions. I'm done arguing with you. As you said, this is just about a simple phone.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
    You sure post a lot for someone that's done.
    10-10-2014 04:57 PM
    thegrants82, when someone makes a minor mistake I'm not sure why you simply wouldn't be nice about it rather than slamming them, telling them they need luck in life, offensively patronizing them, baiting them to defend themselves only to turn around and slam them again once they do. As you said, this is an android forum. Keep it on subject. Thx.
    10-10-2014 05:44 PM
    thegrants82, when someone makes a minor mistake I'm not sure why you simply wouldn't be nice about it rather than slamming them, telling them they need luck in life, offensively patronizing them, baiting them to defend themselves only to turn around and slam them again once they do. As you said, this is an android forum. Keep it on subject. Thx.
    My bad. I will stay on subject.
    Snareman likes this.
    10-10-2014 06:14 PM
    Any chance the Turbo is water resistant? As others have said, this may be a tough decision.
    Moto has always put a nano coating on their phones since the droid RAZR. It protects the circuits from spills and such. Not necessarily waterproof to rinse off under water but add protection
    Toes Up likes this.
    10-11-2014 06:07 AM
    V for Verizon: Hands-on with the Sony Xperia Z3v | Android Central

Z3v Confirmed. Honestly not a bad option. 3200mah battery is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT: apart from the Snapdragon 801 (vs 805) and the 1080p (vs qHD) this phone is more or less the equivalent of the Turbo spec-wise. That screen is supposedly fantastic, and it brings water/dust-resistance and an SD slot. Seriously great looking phone for VZW. Lacks the Moto suite, though... But pricing could be a factor. This might be a harder decision than I previously expected...
    No its not. The z3v is more equivalent to the m8 or s5 than it is the droid turbo. The turbo processor and screen alone make it more comparable to the note line than the z3 is to the turbo.
    10-11-2014 12:09 PM
    I think the killer for me as Snareman said above is it is running and only has 4.2.2. Any thoughts? I think this would be a long time to Lollypop.
    z3v has 4.4.4
    10-11-2014 12:10 PM
    No its not. The z3v is more equivalent to the m8 or s5 than it is the droid turbo. The turbo processor and screen alone make it more comparable to the note line than the z3 is to the turbo.
    And don't forget the Moto Software Suite...
    Premium1, radyoactive and mobrules like this.
    10-11-2014 02:11 PM
    One thing I'm not too sure about with the Z3v is that it has a glass back. Yes its classy, but isn't that an accident waiting to happen? I think I'd have to put a case on it, while the Turbo I probably wouldn't....
    bbqdroid likes this.
    10-12-2014 11:52 AM
    Be careful in comparing to the Z3 if you are in considering the Verizon version - Z3v. From what I have read the Z3v is kind of some hybrid between the international versions of the Z2 and Z3. Still think my choice would be the Moto X or the Turbo. Not so much the guts of the Z3v but the idea of glass front and back just kind of scare me. Probably just paranoid because I have yet to break a screen. But then the glass I dropped in in the kitchen yesterday is know several pieces in the trash.
    10-12-2014 12:08 PM
    Be careful in comparing to the Z3 if you are in considering the Verizon version - Z3v. From what I have read the Z3v is kind of some hybrid between the international versions of the Z2 and Z3. Still think my choice would be the Moto X or the Turbo. Not so much the guts of the Z3v but the idea of glass front and back just kind of scare me. Probably just paranoid because I have yet to break a screen. But then the glass I dropped in in the kitchen yesterday is know several pieces in the trash.
    I have the same feelings about the glass back. Some say it is pretty tough but i really have to wonder. Some say it is slippery in the hand. Not a good combination. I would definitely put on a good case whereas the turbo, probably not. Once you put on a case, the premium feel is lost. What really turns me off is that some of the features Sony has bragged that is improved in the z3 over the z2 doesn't seem to be in the z3v. The rubber corners to help the glass panels survive a fall, the ultra bright new screen that is better outdoors, and the improved camera. I would say that sony needs to come out with a statement about what really is in this phone as opposed to the z3 but I know it really would be lost in the masses who will walk into a Verizon store look at the z3v without any research and but it because it feels nice like a iphone.
    10-12-2014 01:13 PM
    I have the same feelings about the glass back. Some say it is pretty tough but i really have to wonder. Some say it is slippery in the hand. Not a good combination. I would definitely put on a good case whereas the turbo, probably not. Once you put on a case, the premium feel is lost. What really turns me off is that some of the features Sony has bragged that is improved in the z3 over the z2 doesn't seem to be in the z3v. The rubber corners to help the glass panels survive a fall, the ultra bright new screen that is better outdoors, and the improved camera. I would say that sony needs to come out with a statement about what really is in this phone as opposed to the z3 but I know it really would be lost in the masses who will walk into a Verizon store look at the z3v without any research and but it because it feels nice like a iphone.
    I can't imagine a glass back being as tough as a Kevlar one. Just no way.

What makes you think the screen on the Z3 and Z3v are different? The AC hands on said it is the same screen. Maybe that wasn't technically informed, but I assume it wasn't just ***-talk that they look the same. But if you have info to the contrary, please share. Thanks!
    10-12-2014 02:26 PM
    I can't imagine a glass back being as tough as a Kevlar one. Just no way.

What makes you think the screen on the Z3 and Z3v are different? The AC hands on said it is the same screen. Maybe that wasn't technically informed, but I assume it wasn't just ***-talk that they look the same. But if you have info to the contrary, please share. Thanks!
    I am basing solely on the fact that when you look at the features of each device on sony's website, the z3 makes a big deal that it is a brighter screen. The z3v display features match what is on the z2 page. I know this is not conclusive proof but until something comes out to the contrary, that is all we have.
    10-12-2014 02:40 PM
    The Z3v is a special device commissioned by Verizon, they wanted Sony to add wireless charging, change the housing to a Z2 chassis, and who knows what else. It is not unreasonable to presume that Sony design wouldn't spend the same amount of care on the Z3v or make sure it had the same features, after all its sold to Verizon customers only and doesn't really impact Sony's brand name.

Also give me polycarb/kevlar over a glass/metal chassis any day - much more durable and longer lasting.
    10-12-2014 02:51 PM
    after all its sold to Verizon customers only and doesn't really impact Sony's brand name.
    The heck it doesn't. So if an VZW customer has either an excellent or terrible experience with the Z3v, it won't impact Sony? If an user has an extreme experience either positive or not, it will impact the brand name on the phone, period. Why do you think there are loyal users/customers when it comes to anything with a name brand. Exclusivity has nothing to do with it.
    10-12-2014 04:45 PM
    Verizon and Sony have the right to build and market any device they think will make them a profit. My issue is I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Verizon web and store display will be Z3 with the small 'v' missing or very difficult to see. IMHO, it just gets to close to 'bait and switch' tactics. Of course on motive for Sony will be access to the US market. They seem to have had some difficulty breaking into the US mobile market.
    10-12-2014 05:09 PM
    Phone oem's are slaves to US carrier whims, esp Verizon. Samsung and HTC went through the same thing, having to make variants for each carrier with different features, diluting their brand image. Once they got some success, they were able to have the same handset on each carrier with its own name, like the S3, HTC One etc.

Sony is new, they have to play this game too, I bet they have almost zero control over the Z3v if Verizon is to carry it.
    10-12-2014 08:43 PM
    After seeing everyone carrying around phones with hideously cracked screens I'll take a phone with less glass on it. That glass back just seems like one more thing to crack and I could see it being a little slippery too. It might also potentially scratch, something I don't fear about with my kevlar back phones. If my phone is in my pocket with my keys I just put the keys against the kevlar side. With the Z3 you don't have that option.
    10-12-2014 11:17 PM
    After having the nexus 4 which was glass on both sides and although it never cracked it always scared me. I'll take less glass any day.
    10-13-2014 08:26 AM
    After having a Maxx for the past year with Always Listening touchless controls I can't see ever not having it, if I have a choice.
    delrey1900 likes this.
    10-13-2014 10:13 PM
    Just a FYI note. The true Z3 coming to T-Mobile on Oct 29. Unlike the modified Z3v which will be offered by Verizon.
    10-14-2014 08:44 AM
    I may have a stupid question here... Is it possible to use the true Z3 on Verizon?
    10-14-2014 09:36 AM
    Just a FYI note. The true Z3 coming to T-Mobile on Oct 29. Unlike the modified Z3v which will be offered by Verizon.
    There is no difference besides the z3v having wireless charging.
    10-14-2014 10:40 AM
    From what I have read there are several expected differences. Depending on what and where you read possible differences include but are not limited to internal storage and camera. If they were identical, Sony/Verizon would probably not be marketing under a Z3v model number. From posts in the Z3 and Z3v forums here, there are differences. Not have seen either phone in person, I don't know. But as we all know if you read it on the internet it has to be true

Do a Google search on Z3 vs Z3v. There several references. Pick the one you trust. Just for the record - not all of them agree on which version is the best phone
    10-14-2014 11:03 AM
    I just read an article saying that the Turbo has a "splash resistant" coating. Does anyone know what this actually means? If this phone has decent water resistance, Im psyched!!
    10-14-2014 12:08 PM
    From what I have read there are several expected differences. Depending on what and where you read possible differences include but are not limited to internal storage and camera. If they were identical, Sony/Verizon would probably not be marketing under a Z3v model number. From posts in the Z3 and Z3v forums here, there are differences. Not have seen either phone in person, I don't know. But as we all know if you read it on the internet it has to be true

Do a Google search on Z3 vs Z3v. There several references. Pick the one you trust. Just for the record - not all of them agree on which version is the best phone
    I'll take all those with a grain of salt. Besides the Verizon having wireless charging and 100mah I doubt there will be any major differences.
    10-14-2014 12:46 PM
61 123