With rechargeable batteries such as Li-Ion and such, it is often the case where using the the quick charge method creates more heat and shortens long term battery life. I believe that the same is true if one uses a higher amperage charger on cell phones. So my question is this, wouldn't it be detrimental to battery health to regularly use the 15 minute turbo charger rather than a normal charger that takes several hours?
    10-10-2014 11:54 PM
    Short answer. No.
    10-11-2014 05:35 AM
    Short answer. No.
    Why?
    10-11-2014 06:59 AM
    I don't know the answer to your question but I would tend to think the same way. I plan on using the Qi Wireless charging on the Turbo. That is the only way I charge my Maxx. The other thing I wonder is if the Turbo has the battery life like the Maxx why would you need this on a regular basis? Granted it sure would be handy if your caught somewhere or forgot to charge the night before. I think I might use it just now and again, not on a regular basis.
    10-11-2014 09:54 AM
    With rechargeable batteries such as Li-Ion and such, it is often the case where using the the quick charge method creates more heat and shortens long term battery life. I believe that the same is true if one uses a higher amperage charger on cell phones. So my question is this, wouldn't it be detrimental to battery health to regularly use the 15 minute turbo charger rather than a normal charger that takes several hours?
    I doubt these companies would ship something that has a higher risk of frying batteries. I am sure lots of time, money and testing went into making sure that this will not have long term detrimental effects on battery. I mean even qualcomm has the "quick charge" or whatever they are calling it built right in.
    10-11-2014 12:16 PM
    Why?
    Technology is the number one reason. Without getting technical advances in battery materials is what will be behind the rapid charging batteries. This allows for faster charging, reduced heat and a much longer life span overall.
    10-14-2014 06:31 AM
    Technology is the number one reason. Without getting technical advances in battery materials is what will be behind the rapid charging batteries. This allows for faster charging, reduced heat and a much longer life span overall.
    I agree. I read in the Moto forums that the Turbo charger was designed to reduce battery heat significantly. They explained that heat was the greatest detriment to battery life so this rapid charging should actually improve battery life. This info is all from Moto so take it with a (car sized) grain of salt :P

Sent from Uranus
    10-16-2014 08:27 AM
    I agree. I read in the Moto forums that the Turbo charger was designed to reduce battery beat significantly. They explained that heat was the greatest detriment to battery life so this rapid charging should actually improve battery life. This info is all from Moto so take it with a (car sized) grain of salt :P

Sent from Uranus
    Also from Moto forums.....

"Turbo charge is a smart technology. It is monitoring battery health in order to charge faster. The cup and phone architecture is part of the process so it will not impact battery life. Other phones have some battery health monitoring while charging, but go slow as they really can't push things. They are blind. The turbo charger will not charge other phones faster - it takes the phone and the charger to make it work. "
    Revolutionary likes this.
    10-16-2014 10:26 AM
    I agree. I read in the Moto forums that the Turbo charger was designed to reduce battery heat significantly. They explained that heat was the greatest detriment to battery life so this rapid charging should actually improve battery life. This info is all from Moto so take it with a (car sized) grain of salt :P

Sent from Uranus
    And interestingly I read somewhere that wireless charging introduces more heat than wired charging...which is why I'm a bit nervous about using Qi charging for the life of my DNA, and the Turbo if I get it.

Posted via the HTC One
    Revolutionary likes this.
    10-18-2014 01:00 PM
    There seems to be an issues that appears at first to be shortened battery life, but is more likely an entirely different issue related to wireless Qi charging.

In some cases the Droid Turbo (and, I suspect, all phones on Qi chargers) seem to drop battery level quickly after repeated overnight charging on Qi wireless chargers. In my case, it appeared that I had drastically reduced battery life until it eventually lasted only minutes after taking it off the Qi charger in the morning.

Turns out that Qi had messed up the phone's ability to detect the correct battery charge level. This was corrected by recalibrating the battery level status as follows:

1. Performing a "Clear Cache Partition". This can take up to 15 - 20 minutes to complete the first time. Google the term if you are not sure how to do it on your phone.
    2. Power off the phone. Plug the Turbo or other charger directly into the phone (not using Qi) and allow to charge completely to 100% and then leave it charging, still powered off, for at least 30 minutes but up to several hours.
    3. Reboot the phone and the battery life should be back to new.

I am interested to hear if this corrects your problems. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    12-23-2014 10:53 PM
    Also from Moto forums.....

"Turbo charge is a smart technology. It is monitoring battery health in order to charge faster. The cup and phone architecture is part of the process so it will not impact battery life. Other phones have some battery health monitoring while charging, but go slow as they really can't push things. They are blind. The turbo charger will not charge other phones faster - it takes the phone and the charger to make it work. "
    Which Moto forum are you referring to.?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-24-2014 01:41 AM
    It's the Manufacturer's included charger. It's the best for the device and there will be no effect to the life of the battery. It will however, ensure that you have the fullest charge the quickest way possible so i use it exclusively unless I have to top off in the car.
    12-24-2014 03:07 PM
    I agree with everyone saying its an oficial mototola charger. All it is is technology advancing. All its doing is supplying more volts into the phone. Same as how all different laptops get different volts input. Plus, the turbo charger only works until 78% as stated by motorola, then it normal charges to 100. As for heat, I have my phone on its side propped up and close to a cold window while charging to keep it cool
    12-24-2014 03:25 PM
    I've noticed the qi charging isn't as good as turbo charging. I've since quit using the qi. I used it exclusively with my DNA. But now qi only gets the battery to 99% and never 100%. With the turbo charge it stays there for a little while. Then begins to deplete.

DRoID TuRBo this...
    12-24-2014 05:44 PM
    I personally won't use the wireless charging. I've read it creates a lot if heat. I see no good reason to buy it
    12-24-2014 06:48 PM
    I personally won't use the wireless charging. I've read it creates a lot if heat. I see no good reason to buy it
    I recently bought the Verizon wireless charging cradle for my Droid Turbo and I must say I like it better than the turbo charger. The phone gets hotter with the turbo charger than it does with the Verizon QI charger. I am guessing this is actually better for the phone. Having had the same concerns as you and several others I am very pleased with the wireless charger.
    12-25-2014 03:37 PM
    I doubt these companies would ship something that has a higher risk of frying batteries.
    Which would lead to batteries dead quicker and more people wanting fast battery chargers?
    12-25-2014 04:27 PM
    Which would lead to batteries dead quicker and more people wanting fast battery chargers?
    No. You'd have more people wanting a replacement if their battery dies and won't hold a charge. Companies don't want that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-25-2014 04:42 PM