02-08-2015 08:16 PM
53 123
tools
    I hope you don't really believe any of this nonsense. The OP asks for advice and instead posting facts you post this biased garbage. It's great that you're enjoying your X, but to post things with no basis in actual facts when someone is asking for help is a pretty poor thing to do.
    The only thing remotely bias in my posts was the form factor comments. If you can refute anything else, please do. The OP asked for advantages and disadvantages, and I gave them too him. My comments refute the status quo of higher spec numbers mean a better a device.

Sent from my XT1096
    10-15-2014 06:38 AM
    Do we now the dimensions of the turbo? I'm sure they'll be almost identical.
    From FCC docs it appears to be [143.9mm] ~ 5.7"
    So like a Moto X with the battery "chin".
    10-15-2014 06:44 AM
    From FCC docs it appears to be [143.9mm] ~ 5.7"
    So like a Moto X with the battery "chin".
    EDIT: corrected
    6mm longer than the Maxx. Acceptable.
    10-15-2014 09:45 AM
    Well, the timing hasn't been detailed yet, but Motorola has confirmed that last's years Droids are getting Lollipop!

It’s Official: Android 5.0 Lollipop Coming to Moto X, Moto G, Moto E and More - The Official Motorola Blog

So anyone worried about long-term support or timeliness of update for the Turbo may have less to be worried about.
    tech_fan and radyoactive like this.
    10-15-2014 12:06 PM
    Price and weight. If I like holding the Turbo I could see getting it. It will hopefully see a price drop before I upgrade phones.

More importantly, I'm curious about the weight. The Moto X 2014 is already 5 ounces. I did not like that my HTC Rezound was a full 6 ounces. Of course I could've forgiven the weight of it if it had more than a 1650mah battery!

Sent from my Moto X
    10-15-2014 02:40 PM
    I did not like that my HTC Rezound was a full 6 ounces. Of course I could've forgiven the weight of it if it had more than a 1650mah battery!

Sent from my Moto X
    Yes, I'm past due replacing my now sluggish Rezound. Don't want to spend another 2+ years loving the phone but hating the battery (Moto X '14). OTOH, I don't want to spend another 2+ years hating the phone but loving the battery (Turbo). I'm already not thrilled about the larger form factor of today's 5"+ phones, so...
    oldDummy and dmark44 like this.
    10-15-2014 03:34 PM
    I am hoping the Turbo comes with the option of a 64 gb not just 32 gb. The 6 was supposed to have sd card support and does not. Battery life and more memory makes a difference to me. If not them the 6 will be a contender!!!
    tech_fan likes this.
    10-15-2014 04:41 PM
    Yes, I'm past due replacing my now sluggish Rezound. Don't want to spend another 2+ years loving the phone but hating the battery (Moto X '14). OTOH, I don't want to spend another 2+ years hating the phone but loving the battery (Turbo). I'm already not thrilled about the larger form factor of today's 5"+ phones, so...
    I moved on to the 2013 Moto X, and the battery life, while maybe not the best in the industry, is sooooo much better than the Rezound. If that's what you're coming from you'd appreciate the upgrade to a 2300 battery and more efficient hardware.

Sent from my Moto X
    Robisan likes this.
    10-15-2014 04:49 PM
    The only thing remotely bias in my posts was the form factor comments. If you can refute anything else, please do. The OP asked for advantages and disadvantages, and I gave them too him. My comments refute the status quo of higher spec numbers mean a better a device.

Sent from my XT1096
    The notion that 1080p has a graphical advantage because the 805's gpu isn't 70% faster is not based in fact. That's not at all how that works.

And how has the X been updated more consistently? They are both on the most recent build of Kit Kat. The only reason the Droids didn't get 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 is because they were full of bugs that would have gimped the phone, so there is no inconsistency at all with the Droids getting updates. And while the X got Kit Kat first, the Droids got 4.4.4 first, so its not true that the X gets updates faster.
    10-15-2014 06:43 PM
    There are so many factors that enter into battery life. Things like software optimization, app usage, screen on time, the way you use your phone, all of these factors determine battery life. However the bigger the battery the better It is going to be in the longevity of your battery. I think for me the Nexus 6 with a smaller battery is not going to last as long as a droid turbo with the bigger battery. I think that the turbo is going to be one hell of a phone, just my 2 cents. An important factor in all of the performance indicators is the maturation of Android. As Android gets older the more powerful it will become . Android and Google have come hell of a long way in a few short years. I cannot even imagine what we may see in the future it's really very exciting.

Posted via the Android Central App
    tech_fan likes this.
    10-15-2014 10:45 PM
    The only 2 real advantages the turbo has over the X is battery and ram. Camera *might* be better, but we won't know until it comes out. QHD on a 5.2" screen is completely useless. I had rather have the performance advantages of 1080p.

The advantages the moto x has is form factor, moto maker, and *probably* faster and longer updates.

So to sum, if battery and specs are your thing and the form factor does not bother you on the turbo, get the turbo. If you are big on form factor, customization, and super timely updates, the moto x is probably a better choice.

Sent from my XT1096
    I would think that the camera will definitely be better. If both phones are made by Motorola. The Droid will be newer,have more pixels and if it will be considered a "flagship" I can't see Motorola sticking a crappy camera into a phone that has the best specs of any phone to date. Better processor,more ram,bigger battery,wireless charging, QHD display. I think the X has better form factor and motomaker but everything else points to the Turbo.
    tech_fan likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:39 AM
    Have you ever heard there is no substitute for cubic inches? Right now the Droid Turbo is the Dodge Viper of phones and the Moto X is a Camry, I'll take raw power over anything else all day. Why would I want to purposely hit a mid tier component oeuc

10-16-2014 05:02 PM
    Have you ever heard there is no substitute for cubic inches? Right now the Droid Turbo is the Dodge Viper of phones and the Moto X is a Camry, I'll take raw power over anything else all day. Why would I want to purposely hit a mid tier component oeuc

I can respect that. However, unlike a Camry's performance compared to a Viper, the new X will tackle every day use with ease just like the Turbo will. Let me put it at a more detailed perspective for you. The Camry is more like the LG Vista. The X is more like a Porsche Cayman, while the Turbo is like the Viper/911 Turbo (if you will). For some, like me, the Cayman is just perfect for day to day use. For you and other enthusiasts, only the Viper will do.
    10-16-2014 07:31 PM
    I would think that the camera will definitely be better. If both phones are made by Motorola. The Droid will be newer,have more pixels and if it will be considered a "flagship" I can't see Motorola sticking a crappy camera into a phone that has the best specs of any phone to date. Better processor,more ram,bigger battery,wireless charging, QHD display. I think the X has better form factor and motomaker but everything else points to the Turbo.
    There are many camera threads in the Moto X forum. From what I read there my understanding was Motorola was using a Sony(?) Camera which performed well in other phones. Most people commenting seemed to feel the issue was more the software Motorola has chosen to use rather than the camera hardware. Did I miss understand?
    10-16-2014 07:46 PM
    There are many camera threads in the Moto X forum. From what I read there my understanding was Motorola was using a Sony(?) Camera which performed well in other phones. Most people commenting seemed to feel the issue was more the software Motorola has chosen to use rather than the camera hardware. Did I miss understand?
    The hardware is the same as far as we know, so the software has to be the weak link.

There are some that have speculated that moto didn't pay to have some of the proprietary software bits from Sony that other manufacturers may be using, but that is just speculation as far as I know. I think the stock app and firmware just need some good overhauling to make it as good(or at least close) to every other phone camera.

However, they are both still phone cameras. They are all going to be terrible compared to a proper dslr.

Sent from my XT1096
    10-17-2014 09:30 AM
    I don't think moto has much of a "choice" in the camera quality issue anymore. They have consistently put comparatively bad cameras in every phone they have ever had. There is something that they are missing in the camera area. I have no idea what that is, but something is not right.

And the megapixel count honestly means almost nothing in terms of image quality in camera sensors. So having a higher count in no way means it is a better/worse sensor. I am not sure why anyone would ever need more that 8mp of detail on a smartphone camera.

With QHD comes a very large increase in graphics overhead that the the gpu must now be able to run. Simply running the phone requires much more graphical muscle. If you look at the comparisons of the normal gs5(1080p and snapdragon 801) to the gs5 lte-a(QHD and 805), the graphics benchmarks are either even or favoring the normal gs5 while the cpu performance is almost the same with a slight edge to the lte-a.

In other words, performance is going to probably be a wash. They should have put a 1080p screen with the 805 if they wanted a real performance monster.

Sent from my XT1096
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-17-2014 09:43 AM
    Wireless Charging is awesome and cannot deal with out it. Been holding on to my DNA until there was a worthy replacement. Seems like Droid Turbo is the answer. Qi charging and extra large battery were key for me.

In regards to looks, why does it matter if most people bury it in a case.
    10-24-2014 10:10 AM
    Wireless Charging is awesome and cannot deal with out it. Been holding on to my DNA until there was a worthy replacement. Seems like Droid Turbo is the answer. Qi charging and extra large battery were key for me.

In regards to looks, why does it matter if most people bury it in a case.
    Actually, I do pay attention to the look of a phone (love many HTCs for this reason), and hate hiding them in a case, and go as naked as I can get away with on my phone. Having said that, there's nothing "wrong" with the look of the Droid Turbo so far as I can see. Not sexy maybe, but not b-u-t-t ugly as many have suggested or outright said.

Definitely my next phone if nothing overpoweringly negative bubbles to the surface. (I was sold on the Z3v until all of its ugly details surfaced).
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-24-2014 10:37 AM
    After living with the Droid Maxx Qi charging I would find it hard to go back to having to pug it in. Qi is a must for me, as well as battery life. I refuse to live on a charger. I have coworkers that have the phone on the charger more than its off. Not for me.
    ryanr509 likes this.
    10-25-2014 11:00 PM
    I agree travaz. I am using the RMHD and easily go 2 full days, sometimes longer. I use the smart actions app and set it to basically sleep when my screen times out. My wife has apple and has to charge all the time. That would drive me crazy! I also have a Samsung internet connected tower for my house so it doesn't have to search for a signal all the time. Really saves battery a lot.

But now the issue is trying to find another application that works the same as Motorola's smart actions app. I have it set up that when my screen goes dark at 2 minutes it disconnects data, shuts off WiFi, sets the phone to vibrate, shuts off GPS, and adjusts background data to only when a specific app is in use. All of these things come back on when the screen wakes up. It still allows phone calls and texts to come through. There were a couple days I got 72+ hours. Does anyone have a suggestion for an application that may work the same way?
    10-26-2014 12:28 AM
    I agree travaz. I am using the RMHD and easily go 2 full days, sometimes longer. I use the smart actions app and set it to basically sleep when my screen times out. My wife has apple and has to charge all the time. That would drive me crazy! I also have a Samsung internet connected tower for my house so it doesn't have to search for a signal all the time. Really saves battery a lot.

But now the issue is trying to find another application that works the same as Motorola's smart actions app. I have it set up that when my screen goes dark at 2 minutes it disconnects data, shuts off WiFi, sets the phone to vibrate, shuts off GPS, and adjusts background data to only when a specific app is in use. All of these things come back on when the screen wakes up. It still allows phone calls and texts to come through. There were a couple days I got 72+ hours. Does anyone have a suggestion for an application that may work the same way?
    Wow, you are turning a lot off. With the Droid Maxx I have finally been able to quit turning anything off -- I am willing to charge nightly though.

Tasker is an app that with a little learning, you can do what you explain and much more. It is in the Play Store, and there are many threads around here that have set ups that people use.
    10-26-2014 08:34 AM
    After living with the Droid Maxx Qi charging I would find it hard to go back to having to pug it in. Qi is a must for me, as well as battery life. I refuse to live on a charger. I have coworkers that have the phone on the charger more than its off. Not for me.
    I was researching both phones ITT and noticed your mention of wireless charging. Being interested in learning more about that, I went on a search for Qi charging. I found basic information but can you clarify what you mean about not wanting to plug in to charge the phone? Doesn't your phone still have to sit on a charging pad, so how is that different than plugging it in at the same spot? Or, as dumb as I'm about to sound, does it mean that you can wirelessly charge the phone somehow?
    12-01-2014 05:30 PM
    I was researching both phones ITT and noticed your mention of wireless charging. Being interested in learning more about that, I went on a search for Qi charging. I found basic information but can you clarify what you mean about not wanting to plug in to charge the phone? Doesn't your phone still have to sit on a charging pad, so how is that different than plugging it in at the same spot? Or, as dumb as I'm about to sound, does it mean that you can wirelessly charge the phone somehow?
    Yes, you still have to put it on a pad of some sort. I guess what he is referring to is not missing fumbling around trying to fit a cord in the bottom of the phone (at night, etc) when you can simply set it down. It is very a convenient feature that I can see will be hard to go without after using it. Seeing as this feature is growing, I doubt you'd have to once the Turbo's life cycle has ended.
    coachdvc likes this.
    12-01-2014 06:17 PM
    Yes, you still have to put it on a pad of some sort. I guess what he is referring to is not missing fumbling around trying to fit a cord in the bottom of the phone (at night, etc) when you can simply set it down. It is very a convenient feature that I can see will be hard to go without after using it. Seeing as this feature is growing, I doubt you'd have to once the Turbo's life cycle has ended.
    This is correct. It is so easy to just set it on the pad. If I want to look at it or use it there is no wire to unhook or fumble with. With the Turbo Phone it only needs to be done at night so it is very convenient. I guess I was really referring to battery life with the comment about my Coworkers.
    coachdvc likes this.
    12-03-2014 05:11 PM
    This is correct. It is so easy to just set it on the pad. If I want to look at it or use it there is no wire to unhook or fumble with. With the Turbo Phone it only needs to be done at night so it is very convenient. I guess I was really referring to battery life with the comment about my Coworkers.
    Thanks! I've already started shopping around for a good qi charger based on your suggestion. I currently have the Droid DNA but will be upgrading to either the Turbo or Nexus 6, all of which support qi charging (based on my limited research).
    12-03-2014 05:42 PM
53 123