Turbo for international markets?

Genebaby

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm keen on this phone, or if the news is not good, I have made peace with getting the N6.

Is there a history of phones like the Turbo that come out on Verizon, which uses CDMA I understand, to be released with different names and available internationally for the GSM/LTE markets we have?

In Australia we used to have CDMA years ago but for some reason that network was shut down and now we just just GSM as far as I know. I'm not sure if LTE is different or just a marketing term.

Basically I'm wondering if I waited if Motorola would sell a Turbo in Australia, or if I should put in a pre-order for the N6.

Thanks for any help.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm keen on this phone, or if the news is not good, I have made peace with getting the N6.

Is there a history of phones like the Turbo that come out on Verizon, which uses CDMA I understand, to be released with different names and available internationally for the GSM/LTE markets we have?

In Australia we used to have CDMA years ago but for some reason that network was shut down and now we just just GSM as far as I know. I'm not sure if LTE is different or just a marketing term.

Basically I'm wondering if I waited if Motorola would sell a Turbo in Australia, or if I should put in a pre-order for the N6.

Thanks for any help.

There is no history of Droid (Verizon commissioned) phones being made for GSM networks. That being said there are all kinds of rumors about this phone being released for GSM carriers in the US. Look around in this forum. International who knows - the US market model is so different than the international markets who can guess what Verizon might do. The rumors sound good. I will be a believer when the phone hits the stores.

US networks for dummies like me. Overly simple because I am no expert.
GSM and CDMA refer to the transmission of phone calls (voice) and LTE is used for data. Verizon is just starting the transfer to VoLTE (voice over LTE). Some phones sold in the last few years are built for VoLTE service, Verizon just has to have it available. At some point in the future, Verizon hopes to shut down the CDMA network.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
There is no history of Droid (Verizon commissioned) phones being made for GSM networks. That being said there are all kinds of rumors about this phone being released for GSM carriers in the US. Look around in this forum. International who knows - the US market model is so different than the international markets who can guess what Verizon might do. The rumors sound good. I will be a believer when the phone hits the stores.

GSM and CDMA refer to the transmission of phone calls (voice) and LTE is used for data. Verizon is just starting the transfer to VoLTE (voice over LTE). Some phones sold in the last few years are built for VoLTE service, Verizon just has to have it available. At some point in the future, Verizon hopes to shut down the CDMA network.

Not sure if I understand your post because I am also technically challenged but are you saying that once Verizon switches over to LTE and volte the there will be no need for CDMA? Will this mean that there will be all the same networks in the u.s no matter what carrier you're on? As an example Motorola or Google will not have to make a special phone Verizon as they do now.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Actually this is incorrect. There were GSM variants of the OG Motorola Droid and Droid 2, called the Motorola Milestone and Milestone 2. Then there were GSM variants of the Droid RAZR as well (Motorola RAZR i and RAZR v). So that being said, with a phone identical to the Turbo going through the FCC but carrying GSM bands means we should be seeing a similar situation.

Genebaby

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I've got at least till October 29 if I want to get in early on the N6 pre-order, to see what happens with this phone. The size is fine and with a bigger battery it wins out there too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually this is incorrect. There were GSM variants of the OG Motorola Droid and Droid 2, called the Motorola Milestone and Milestone 2. Then there were GSM variants of the Droid RAZR as well (Motorola RAZR i and RAZR v). So that being said, with a phone identical to the Turbo going through the FCC but carrying GSM bands means we should be seeing a similar situation.

The Turbo would already have GSM bands.

You're looking for a phone with the Turbo's specs without CDMA.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

zoobatphone

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey -
also a fellow 'bands challenged' person here.

my cell provider works on the following bands: 850(UMTS) + 2100(UMTS) and 1800 LTE
in my country there are OTHER providers which also work with 900(GSM) 900(UMTS) + 1800(UMTS) + 1800(UMTS).
There is no 2600LTE in my country.

SO please tell me if i understand this correctly - if i go to the USA, and buy the Droid turbo (off contract) and it has
at least 1 of the above bands, i can use the phone in my country? or is there also some sort of Sim-card lock??
and even if the answer is yes/no, will said "gsm unlocked" version be viable for above question?

ty

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Turbo would already have GSM bands.

You're looking for a phone with the Turbo's specs without CDMA.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

I was replying to someone who said there was no history of international variants of Verizon's Droid phones. The ones I listed are that. I was rebutting his statement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge