11-30-2014 07:40 PM
61 123
tools
    I am coming from a RMHD. Its been a great phone and I get really great battery life still. So it wont hurt to wait a couple of months to see if the voice/data gets worked out. Other than that it seems like a pretty solid phone.
    10-21-2014 09:44 AM
    One option in the mean time is to use google voice dialer to handle your calls when you know you'll need data. I spent an hour driving around trying to get my infant to sleep and listening to a late evening conference call using google voice and never had any problems.
    10-21-2014 10:02 AM
    For me, the big reason for voice+data at the same time is in the car, talking to someone whilst getting turn-by-turn directions. Like others, not being able to do that as I can today with my MaxxHD is a full stop on getting the Turbo.
    Came in to say this -- i'm out, will check back in a few months to see what happened.

In the meantime my Droid Maxx will do just fine. Maybe I should buy a spare before the new stock is depleted.
    10-21-2014 11:24 PM
    I am coming from a RMHD. Its been a great phone and I get really great battery life still. So it wont hurt to wait a couple of months to see if the voice/data gets worked out. Other than that it seems like a pretty solid phone.
    Same here. I got the RMHD in Nov 2012, still a great phone. Especially since the KitKat upgrade it is much snappier. The Turbo looks intriguing but I will wait a few weeks after launch to see what the fallout is. Hard to believe they would take a step backwards and not support simultaneous voice & data on day one.
    10-22-2014 11:40 AM
    So if this is released with 4.4.4 instead of 5.0 does that change the voice/data issue? I still have RMHD and can talk and use data now but that's still with 4.4.2. If that's the case then I will be ordering.
    FIREDOGEE and REVOLUTIONARY, you both seem to have more knowledge than I so I guess I am looking for a response from you. And NO I am not being a smartass, I truly would like some honest answers/opinions. Thank you.
    10-22-2014 10:06 PM
    So if this is released with 4.4.4 instead of 5.0 does that change the voice/data issue? I still have RMHD and can talk and use data now but that's still with 4.4.2. If that's the case then I will be ordering.
    FIREDOGEE and REVOLUTIONARY, you both seem to have more knowledge than I so I guess I am looking for a response from you. And NO I am not being a smartass, I truly would like some honest answers/opinions. Thank you.
    The version of the software won't matter -- some phones (like previous RMHD) had 2 antennas, which allowed simultaneous voice and data. this is, of course, coming from memory. Maybe an expert can chime in.
    mobrules likes this.
    10-23-2014 02:15 AM
    I'm no expert, by far, but I know enough to agree with Cauhauna. The OS version isn't a factor. My only point was that this is one of those things that we can't predict with certainty based on the information we have right now. We really won't know until we get more details or hand on - those expecting it to be just like the X 2014 might be right, we just have to wait and see. (I'll be just as bummed as everybody else if it's not possible).
    mobrules likes this.
    10-23-2014 07:00 AM
    I'm no expert, by far, but I know enough to agree with Cauhauna. The OS version isn't a factor. My only point was that this is one of those things that we can't predict with certainty based on the information we have right now. We really won't know until we get more details or hand on - those expecting it to be just like the X 2014 might be right, we just have to wait and see. (I'll be just as bummed as everybody else if it's not possible).
    I agree with you ! mean while i'm gonna get a note 4 to test drive today .....LOL
    10-23-2014 07:26 AM
    I work within a couple of blocks of a VZW corporate store so I cruised over there during lunch yesterday. Of course we all know that most times we know more than the folks at the store, but I am just passing on what they said. This is a huge store and there were 2 people with "manager" tags on that I talked to at the same time. They said they are aware of this device and the announcement. They didn't have an exact release date, but guessed it would be within a week or two at most from the countdown date. They also said they "can't imagine" that VZW would release this device without capability of voice/data at the same time. Again, they may know nothing, just passing it on.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    10-23-2014 08:15 AM
    Thank you so much for starting this thread. I think I am going to have to take a wait and see approach on this device that I was about to buy 2 of and even roll off my unlimited data (family member finally decided they want a smart phone). But if they can't be on the phone while Turn by Turn directions are going this would be a deal breaker and I would need to look at another device.

Thats a shame since I like the build quality. Having a durable smart phone with a Moto radio and 5ish inch screen was such a bonus.
    10-23-2014 09:58 AM
    I work within a couple of blocks of a VZW corporate store so I cruised over there during lunch yesterday. Of course we all know that most times we know more than the folks at the store, but I am just passing on what they said. This is a huge store and there were 2 people with "manager" tags on that I talked to at the same time. They said they are aware of this device and the announcement. They didn't have an exact release date, but guessed it would be within a week or two at most from the countdown date. They also said they "can't imagine" that VZW would release this device without capability of voice/data at the same time. Again, they may know nothing, just passing it on.
    It's happening. There were some leaked internal verizon docs that came out a week or so ago, and one of the bullet points explained that advanced calling 1.0 would be available within xx days of release giving simultaneous voice and data. I interpret this to mean that there aren't 2 antennas, so simultaneous voice/data in a 3G service area wouldn't be possible -- unless, of course, you're on wifi.

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I think I am going to have to take a wait and see approach on this device that I was about to buy 2 of and even roll off my unlimited data (family member finally decided they want a smart phone). But if they can't be on the phone while Turn by Turn directions are going this would be a deal breaker and I would need to look at another device.

Thats a shame since I like the build quality. Having a durable smart phone with a Moto radio and 5ish inch screen was such a bonus.
    If you start Google Maps and get the directions loaded before you make the call, you'll be fine as long as you don't make a wrong turn
    Fable likes this.
    10-23-2014 10:01 AM
    It's happening. There were some leaked internal verizon docs that came out a week or so ago, and one of the bullet points explained that advanced calling 1.0 would be available within xx days of release giving simultaneous voice and data. I interpret this to mean that there aren't 2 antennas, so simultaneous voice/data in a 3G service area wouldn't be possible -- unless, of course, you're on wifi.
    It seems like Droid Life got tipped from an anonymous source, although they don't say where their info is from. On the same day, AC got an anonymous tip with a bunch of details, and while it says Advanced Calling is coming, it doesn't say it is required for SV+D. Android Police put up a bunch of details, too, but they listed AC as the source.

My point being: maybe Alex Dobie can clear this up. Alex, you around??? What did your source say about this? (Edit, I sent him a PM -- hopefully he'll chime in.)
    10-23-2014 11:31 AM
    10-23-2014 01:07 PM
    A huge step backwards. I don't want LTE calling on due to the its limitations and so far on my S5 it makes CDMA calls sound horrible.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    10-23-2014 01:15 PM
    That seems pretty definitive (thanks for the link, hadn't seen those).
    10-23-2014 02:39 PM
    you're welcome. Pretty sure these are grabs from internal VZW training tools
    10-23-2014 07:14 PM
    you're welcome. Pretty sure these are grabs from internal VZW training tools
    It annoys me that Motorola and Verizon are going this route. Not everyone wants to use VoLTE.

10-23-2014 07:28 PM
    It annoys me that Motorola and Verizon are going this route. Not everyone wants to use VoLTE.

Me 2. I guess they have to justify all the millions they've spent on LTE infrastructure (and advertising). I just hope it doesn't turn out like the poor rural coverage and dropped calls the early GSM carriers pushed (and customers suffered through) in the late 90s. Voicestream Wireless I'm looking at you!

Sent from Uranus
    10-23-2014 07:59 PM
    I understand the concerns being expressed by some but that said, I don't really share them. This is going to be a beast of a phone and for "power users" (hate the term), it's the closest thing to perfection I've seen. I've little doubt that this will be satisfactorily resolved and, very quickly. This is the phone I've been waiting for and the changeover in the way simultaneous voice/data are handled does little to diminish the other superior features of the device for me.
    10-23-2014 09:09 PM
    Unfortunately everything seems to point to many of Verizon phones having this limitation do the one radio/antenna design. Which means simultaneous data and voice will be limited to 4G Advanced Calling (VoLTE). In 3G and CDMA areas, it will be either one or the other over the mobile network.

The problem does not occur on the old GSM networks because there is a one radio solution for them. None for the networks with a CDMA base like Verizon.

I am no expert but a Google search for VoLTE will turn up dozens of papers which pretty much agree. Which in itself is amazing! I will not even try to explain the technical stuff. I just know if you are using one of Verizon's new and future phones (any with one antenna) and you need simultaneous data and voice you are screwed unless you operate in a good 4GLTE area and use Advanced Calling.
    10-23-2014 09:16 PM
    Unfortunately everything seems to point to many of Verizon phones having this limitation do the one radio/antenna design. Which means simultaneous data and voice will be limited to 4G Advanced Calling (VoLTE). In 3G and CDMA areas, it will be either one or the other over the mobile network.

The problem does not occur on the old GSM networks because there is a one radio solution for them. None for the networks with a CDMA base like Verizon.

I am no expert but a Google search for VoLTE will turn up dozens of papers which pretty much agree. Which in itself is amazing! I will not even try to explain the technical stuff. I just know if you are using one of Verizon's new and future phones (any with one antenna) and you need simultaneous data and voice you are screwed unless you operate in a good 4GLTE area and use Advanced Calling.
    If Verizon can fix the hissing noise myself and others have heard on CDMA calls I'd be okay with it. I dont want a new phone that forces it upon me nor do I want to drop calls when it switches. I once in a while enter buildings that block any data signal and than regains it randomly and than gone again. Can't have this happen if I'm forced on VoLTE but I need talk+data.

Just ranting a bit. Going backwards is complete non sense.

10-23-2014 09:19 PM

There is a solution for 3G only CDMA areas. It's called SVDO and routes voice over 1x and data over 3G. It's only on a limited number of phones and isn't advertised by Verizon because quite frankly it sucks. Verizon's 3G is slow and it's 1x is painfully slow. The reason given for not advertising it is because of the bad performance when using it.

What I don't understand is why they can no longer support simultaneous 3G voice and LTE data like they have since they launched LTE. Unless the radios for VoLTE do not support both. The biggest problem I see is that while they've publicly said the LTE rollout is done, I believe they need to add additional LTE towers to cover the same footprint as their 3G towers did. A tech at Verizon told me that the LTE towers don't cover as large an area as the 3G CDMA towers do. So until they have the same LTE footprint as their 3G network has, it seems a little premature to do this.

I will say this though. A friend of mine who was in the same wireless class at the tech school I went to is working on VoLTE. He told me in a good area you can't believe how much clearer calls are on VoLTE vs 3G. So while it will be nicer, they need to increase their coverage footprint before everyone can enjoy it's benefits, especially in rural areas like where I live.
    10-24-2014 12:24 AM
    There is a solution for 3G only CDMA areas. It's called SVDO and routes voice over 1x and data over 3G. It's only on a limited number of phones and isn't advertised by Verizon because quite frankly it sucks. Verizon's 3G is slow and it's 1x is painfully slow. The reason given for not advertising it is because of the bad performance when using it.
    SVDO requires two radios, which these new phones don't have. While you are on a call, a phone with one radio and one antenna cannot switch between a call and data on CDMA or LTE.

I have to be honest here: I think that a vast, vast majority of Verizon customers (including me) never, or at least rarely, need data services while they are on phone calls. If I was driving in an area that I didn't know directions and was dependent on map directions I think I'd be concentrating so much on that that I'd want to be off the phone anyway - trying to drive and talk on the phone while wondering which way to go would be too distracting. The only other thing I use data for while driving is occasionally music, when I use Pandora, and a phone call interrupts music on BT anyway.

It's clear that if you need this functionality, you'll want to switch to a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mobile, because they can do simultaneous voice and 3G data, and I think almost every high-end new phone being delivered going forward for Verizon will not have voice and LTE data on anything but VoLTE.
    10-24-2014 05:52 AM
    SVDO requires two radios, which these new phones don't have. While you are on a call, a phone with one radio and one antenna cannot switch between a call and data on CDMA or LTE.

I have to be honest here: I think that a vast, vast majority of Verizon customers (including me) never, or at least rarely, need data services while they are on phone calls. If I was driving in an area that I didn't know directions and was dependent on map directions I think I'd be concentrating so much on that that I'd want to be off the phone anyway - trying to drive and talk on the phone while wondering which way to go would be too distracting. The only other thing I use data for while driving is occasionally music, when I use Pandora, and a phone call interrupts music on BT anyway.

It's clear that if you need this functionality, you'll want to switch to a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mobile, because they can do simultaneous voice and 3G data, and I think almost every high-end new phone being delivered going forward for Verizon will not have voice and LTE data on anything but VoLTE.
    it all depends what you use your phone for . I use voice and data at the same time everyday. the note 4 does voice and data without needing the 1.0 update.
    10-24-2014 06:45 PM
    Probably not, the OS version has nothing to do with it. Also, the 2014 Moto X is on 4.4.4 and is in the same boat.

Sent from my Moto X
    mobrules likes this.
    10-24-2014 09:16 PM
61 123