turbo voice and data

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It annoys me that Motorola and Verizon are going this route. Not everyone wants to use VoLTE.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Me 2. I guess they have to justify all the millions they've spent on LTE infrastructure (and advertising). I just hope it doesn't turn out like the poor rural coverage and dropped calls the early GSM carriers pushed (and customers suffered through) in the late 90s. Voicestream Wireless I'm looking at you!

Sent from Uranus

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand the concerns being expressed by some but that said, I don't really share them. This is going to be a beast of a phone and for "power users" (hate the term), it's the closest thing to perfection I've seen. I've little doubt that this will be satisfactorily resolved and, very quickly. This is the phone I've been waiting for and the changeover in the way simultaneous voice/data are handled does little to diminish the other superior features of the device for me.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately everything seems to point to many of Verizon phones having this limitation do the one radio/antenna design. Which means simultaneous data and voice will be limited to 4G Advanced Calling (VoLTE). In 3G and CDMA areas, it will be either one or the other over the mobile network.

The problem does not occur on the old GSM networks because there is a one radio solution for them. None for the networks with a CDMA base like Verizon.

I am no expert but a Google search for VoLTE will turn up dozens of papers which pretty much agree. Which in itself is amazing! I will not even try to explain the technical stuff. I just know if you are using one of Verizon's new and future phones (any with one antenna) and you need simultaneous data and voice you are screwed unless you operate in a good 4GLTE area and use Advanced Calling.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately everything seems to point to many of Verizon phones having this limitation do the one radio/antenna design. Which means simultaneous data and voice will be limited to 4G Advanced Calling (VoLTE). In 3G and CDMA areas, it will be either one or the other over the mobile network.

The problem does not occur on the old GSM networks because there is a one radio solution for them. None for the networks with a CDMA base like Verizon.

I am no expert but a Google search for VoLTE will turn up dozens of papers which pretty much agree. Which in itself is amazing! I will not even try to explain the technical stuff. I just know if you are using one of Verizon's new and future phones (any with one antenna) and you need simultaneous data and voice you are screwed unless you operate in a good 4GLTE area and use Advanced Calling.

If Verizon can fix the hissing noise myself and others have heard on CDMA calls I'd be okay with it. I dont want a new phone that forces it upon me nor do I want to drop calls when it switches. I once in a while enter buildings that block any data signal and than regains it randomly and than gone again. Can't have this happen if I'm forced on VoLTE but I need talk+data.

Just ranting a bit. Going backwards is complete non sense.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There is a solution for 3G only CDMA areas. It's called SVDO and routes voice over 1x and data over 3G. It's only on a limited number of phones and isn't advertised by Verizon because quite frankly it sucks. Verizon's 3G is slow and it's 1x is painfully slow. The reason given for not advertising it is because of the bad performance when using it.

What I don't understand is why they can no longer support simultaneous 3G voice and LTE data like they have since they launched LTE. Unless the radios for VoLTE do not support both. The biggest problem I see is that while they've publicly said the LTE rollout is done, I believe they need to add additional LTE towers to cover the same footprint as their 3G towers did. A tech at Verizon told me that the LTE towers don't cover as large an area as the 3G CDMA towers do. So until they have the same LTE footprint as their 3G network has, it seems a little premature to do this.

I will say this though. A friend of mine who was in the same wireless class at the tech school I went to is working on VoLTE. He told me in a good area you can't believe how much clearer calls are on VoLTE vs 3G. So while it will be nicer, they need to increase their coverage footprint before everyone can enjoy it's benefits, especially in rural areas like where I live.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a solution for 3G only CDMA areas. It's called SVDO and routes voice over 1x and data over 3G. It's only on a limited number of phones and isn't advertised by Verizon because quite frankly it sucks. Verizon's 3G is slow and it's 1x is painfully slow. The reason given for not advertising it is because of the bad performance when using it.

SVDO requires two radios, which these new phones don't have. While you are on a call, a phone with one radio and one antenna cannot switch between a call and data on CDMA or LTE.

I have to be honest here: I think that a vast, vast majority of Verizon customers (including me) never, or at least rarely, need data services while they are on phone calls. If I was driving in an area that I didn't know directions and was dependent on map directions I think I'd be concentrating so much on that that I'd want to be off the phone anyway - trying to drive and talk on the phone while wondering which way to go would be too distracting. The only other thing I use data for while driving is occasionally music, when I use Pandora, and a phone call interrupts music on BT anyway.

It's clear that if you need this functionality, you'll want to switch to a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mobile, because they can do simultaneous voice and 3G data, and I think almost every high-end new phone being delivered going forward for Verizon will not have voice and LTE data on anything but VoLTE.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
SVDO requires two radios, which these new phones don't have. While you are on a call, a phone with one radio and one antenna cannot switch between a call and data on CDMA or LTE.

I have to be honest here: I think that a vast, vast majority of Verizon customers (including me) never, or at least rarely, need data services while they are on phone calls. If I was driving in an area that I didn't know directions and was dependent on map directions I think I'd be concentrating so much on that that I'd want to be off the phone anyway - trying to drive and talk on the phone while wondering which way to go would be too distracting. The only other thing I use data for while driving is occasionally music, when I use Pandora, and a phone call interrupts music on BT anyway.

It's clear that if you need this functionality, you'll want to switch to a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mobile, because they can do simultaneous voice and 3G data, and I think almost every high-end new phone being delivered going forward for Verizon will not have voice and LTE data on anything but VoLTE.
it all depends what you use your phone for . I use voice and data at the same time everyday. the note 4 does voice and data without needing the 1.0 update.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
So if this is released with 4.4.4 instead of 5.0 does that change the voice/data issue? I still have RMHD and can talk and use data now but that's still with 4.4.2. If that's the case then I will be ordering.
FIREDOGEE and REVOLUTIONARY, you both seem to have more knowledge than I so I guess I am looking for a response from you. And NO I am not being a smartass, I truly would like some honest answers/opinions. Thank you.

Probably not, the OS version has nothing to do with it. Also, the 2014 Moto X is on 4.4.4 and is in the same boat.

Sent from my Moto X

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Look folks. I am not sure if you hope the answer will change to something you like if you keep asking the question a little different. But the fact is Verizon announced the phone will not handle voice+data situations until they (Verizon) release Advanced Calling for the phone. The reason is the way the phone is designed and built. It has one radio/antenna so it can currently connect to voice or data since they are on separate frequencies. Advanced Calling will put both voice and data on the 4G frequencies so the phone will be able to handle voice+data in 4G area. OS has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. It is not rocket science. Don't make it harder than it is. Verizon had the phone designed to match the direction of their future business plan.

If you want the real tech level information or Verizon's business reasons, go do some quick Google searches. Lot of data and I am too lazy to type it all in here.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Look folks. I am not sure if you hope the answer will change to something you like if you keep asking the question a little different. But the fact is Verizon announced the phone will not handle voice+data situations until they (Verizon) release Advanced Calling for the phone. The reason is the way the phone is designed and built. It has one radio/antenna so it can currently connect to voice or data since they are on separate frequencies. Advanced Calling will put both voice and data on the 4G frequencies so the phone will be able to handle voice+data in 4G area. OS has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. It is not rocket science. Don't make it harder than it is. Verizon had the phone designed to match the direction of their future business plan.

If you want the real tech level information or Verizon's business reasons, go do some quick Google searches. Lot of data and I am too lazy to type it all in here.

Looking at the thread, it seems pretty clear that no one has asked the question again, you are just (condescendingly) answering it again (again even for you, as this is your second response). So I'm not sure what you're on about. (Chevyman mentioned that the Note 4 does SV+D without the 1.0 update, but that refers to Advanced Calling 1.0, not the Lollipop update).

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the thread, it seems pretty clear that no one has asked the question again, you are just (condescendingly) answering it again (again even for you, as this is your second response). So I'm not sure what you're on about. (Chevyman mentioned that the Note 4 does SV+D without the 1.0 update, but that refers to Advanced Calling 1.0, not the Lollipop update).

Thanks. Condescending is a polite word. I will try to more fully engage my brain before my mouth in the future.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I went by the VZW store today to check out the Sony Xperia Z3v as I have been thinking about this being my next phone or the Turbo. They had the Z3v set up and I made a call on it and tried to use data for internet or text and it said some default message about "while on a call you will not be able to access services that use data." What a step backwards for these devices. I use data often while on a call so not sure what I will do. This should be clearly labeled on these devices as many people will unknowingly upgrade and have no idea they can no longer do this. By the way, I asked the same question of the manager of the store and he still told me they "can't imagine" you will not be able to use data while on a call when the Turbo comes out.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I went by the VZW store today to check out the Sony Xperia Z3v as I have been thinking about this being my next phone or the Turbo. They had the Z3v set up and I made a call on it and tried to use data for internet or text and it said some default message about "while on a call you will not be able to access services that use data." What a step backwards for these devices. I use data often while on a call so not sure what I will do. This should be clearly labeled on these devices as many people will unknowingly upgrade and have no idea they can no longer do this. By the way, I asked the same question of the manager of the store and he still told me they "can't imagine" you will not be able to use data while on a call when the Turbo comes out.

They couldn't imagine? Despite the MotoX suffering from the same thing? Technology should advance forward.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I got into a argument today with the lady trying to tell me Verizon has never had voice and data simultaneously. She said the only phones that worked was the ones that do it over volte. She actually went in the back to ask the manager and came back out and apologized. She was a very helpful in getting my sister her new note 4 but obviously clueless about how Verizon works. Sad thing is I know for a fact she's worked there for at least 2 years. It's like they have no interest in learning about the products they sell.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They couldn't imagine? Despite the MotoX suffering from the same thing? Technology should advance forward.

Technically it will advance forward once they get the same footprint for LTE that they currently have for CDMA. Until then it's a step back, kinda the opposite of the quote one step forward and two steps back, with Verizon it's one step back and two steps forward. Unfortunately, the two steps forward are going to take awhile.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Technically it will advance forward once they get the same footprint for LTE that they currently have for CDMA. Until then it's a step back, kinda the opposite of the quote one step forward and two steps back, with Verizon it's one step back and two steps forward. Unfortunately, the two steps forward are going to take awhile.

A while could be after the 2 year contract ends, lol.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A while could be after the 2 year contract ends, lol.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. We live on a farm and I put in to let them lease some of our land to put up a tower, but haven't heard anything from them about it. When they have these record years they need to put it back into their infrastructure not just pat themselves on the back and bonuses all around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc