Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo It's here!!!!

al2fast

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: It's here!!!!

Then you probably won't like it, but you may be pleasantly surprised, I was. Out of curiosity if you are that concerned about having to see if there is a notification on your phone, my guess is you would probably go to check it right away then. Why not then just set the audible notification to repeat more frequently so you could be right on top of them? I guess my point is my LED blinks on my G2 and I have to go to where it is and turn the screen on to see why its blinking. To each his own, you'll have to let us know if you try one out and how you like the notifications!

hazardouse21

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I don't want to have to "wave my hand", tap the screen, or be close enough to see something on the screen if I can help it. I'm not one of those people that have to have their damn phone in their hand 24/7.

But that's just me. :)

No, it's not a deal breaker and I'll be buying this phone as soon as the store opens, but it is a bit of a letdown and is a feature that I've come to like over the iPhone (that I am forced to use for my work phone) which doesn't have the notification LED and forces me to pick up that lousy device to check for emails/calls.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Will still likely be buying a Turbo, but I really wish it had a notification LED. With my Galaxy S3 I can tell from across the room what kind of notification I have and sometimes even who a message is from.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to the display notifications.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Then you probably won't like it, but you may be pleasantly surprised, I was. Out of curiosity if you are that concerned about having to see if there is a notification on your phone, my guess is you would probably go to check it right away then. Why not then just set the audible notification to repeat more frequently so you could be right on top of them? I guess my point is my LED blinks on my G2 and I have to go to where it is and turn the screen on to see why its blinking. To each his own, you'll have to let us know if you try one out and how you like the notifications!

I'm not "that concerned about having to see if there is a notification", I just like the feature so that if I leave the room for a while I can just take a glance at the phone when I get back and see if anything came in without having to physically bother with it.

As far as repetitive audible alerts, I don't want the thing constantly squawking when I'm away (such as at work).

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, active notifications are superior in every way - I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the resistance to one of this series' (since original Moto X) greatest features. Unless, of course, you don't really grasp how it truly functions. If you do understand it and still prefer a non-discript blinking light then, there's nothing left to say but find a phone you prefer better. Progress moves on.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
They are "superior" if you can't stand leaving your phone out of your hand for more than 30 seconds. I'll have to see how the screen notification looks in person, but there is no denying a pulsing LED that can be easily seen without having to look at the screen. If anyone has had the HD, you know how bright that LED is!

I can appreciate the active notification features and "grasp" how it works, but I have trouble seeing how it can be comparable to the LED which is easily viewed from a distance. Having whiz-bang features doesn't necessarily equate to "progress".

But like I said, I'm not one who thinks a phone is an extension of my body and has to be held, admired, and given utmost attention at every waking second. Nor do I feel a compulsive need to check Facebook, Twitter, or whatever the flavor of the month social app is to make sure "I'm not missing something". For my use I simply like the option to be able to take a glance at my phone which may have been sitting on my desk for *gasp* minutes unattended, and see if something or someone has tried to contact me. If not, I move on with my life and will check it later.

Last edited:

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it might help to think of active notifications as pulsing "smart" lights that supplant the generic LED and which give you the information at a glance which is actionable on lock screen for response minus any significant other input. It will not only be as visually detectable as the LED, it will also also enable a faster, less cumbersome interaction. Sidebar benefits are significant battery savings due to only needing to light up the used portion of the screen. If you've been away from the phone a while and want to check for any messages quickly just pick it up or just wave a hand over it where it lays. It may even respond to a voice query. Love a friend's X, can't wait for one of these bad boys. I do hammer mine with hard use doing an ever-increasing volume of stuff I never thought I'd do on a phone though so efficiency is important to me.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon sales and tried to order the Turbo in ballistic nylon 64 gig. After educating a very nice lady she was like wow. So she looked it up and I can upgrade early fro 249 for the 64 gig. However they cant pre order till Thursday

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The lack of a multicolor LED notification light is my primary reason for not getting the Turbo. The camera is the second reason, although we don't know for sure what degree of mediocre it will be. Hopefully we will all be surprised!

The practical reason I prefer the LED over active display is simple. From 20 feet away, I can tell the difference between my boss emailing me vs a spam email vs my wife or daughter texting me vs a text from Verizon saying my overly inflated bill is ready for payment. This is because I can control the light color, and interval speed. Active display can't do this, it serves another purpose entirely, which I guess I really don't want or need.

To each his own, there's nothing better about either approach by itself... Its just a matter of which approach works better for your needs.

I got the Sony Z3v last Friday. It has the LED light and a great camera which were priorities for me. Its a solid performer with 8-9 hour screen time battery life, and really love the slab factor and design, although I really wish it had ballistic nylon in the back! LOL.

Having said that though, I will definitely be checking out the Turbo on Thursday since, after all, I'm within my 14 day return/exchange period! :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
But like I said, I'm not one who thinks a phone is an extension of my body and has to be held, admired, and given utmost attention at every waking second. Nor do I feel a compulsive need to check Facebook, Twitter, or whatever the flavor of the month social app is to make sure "I'm not missing something". For my use I simply like the option to be able to take a glance at my phone which may have been sitting on my desk for *gasp* minutes unattended, and see if something or someone has tried to contact me. If not, I move on with my life and will check it later.

Right. I get why people like leds, as I once did, but one thing I didn't like is I never knew if that blinking green was Gmail, a phone call, or a text message. With active display, since you don't have a compulsive need to know, you'll be fine. You'll just have to change your behavior to actually walk within seeing distance of the display and see which icon is showing. If you see just a lock icon, you haven't missed anything.

I'm sure you'll be fine with active display. It's definitely not like an iPhone, where you need to power the device on to see if you missed anything.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Will the boot loader be locked down and will rooting be hard to develop?

We haven't heard anything about a developer edition yet so I'd assume for now that it will be locked down. If you want a phone that can be unlocked, buy the nexus 6. It may be worth a wait of a month if you want to see if they announce a dev edition of the turbo. They had a dev edition Maxx last year after about a month.

Rooting will continue to be harder and harder as old vulnerabilities are patched, and Lollipop is supposed to be locked down more when that comes out. That doesn't mean it won't happen but it means that it's less likely to happen and probably more likely to take longer if it does happen.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Will the boot loader be locked down and will rooting be hard to develop?

There's some discussion on this in the XDA Turbo forum.

I believe this device is going to be rooted and unlocked much faster than any other phone coming out. Samsung's Knox is great for a reason and I don't see the Note 4 getting unlocked before the Turbo.

Sunshine 3.0 is on the horizon. As long as we force ourselves to stay on 4.4.4 we'll be fine. Once Lollipop gets pushed it's a whole other story.

This is exactly why I'm glad it's shipping with KitKat.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
The lack of a multicolor LED notification light is my primary reason for not getting the Turbo. The camera is the second reason, although we don't know for sure what degree of mediocre it will be. Hopefully we will all be surprised!

The practical reason I prefer the LED over active display is simple. From 20 feet away, I can tell the difference between my boss emailing me vs a spam email vs my wife or daughter texting me vs a text from Verizon saying my overly inflated bill is ready for payment. This is because I can control the light color, and interval speed. Active display can't do this, it serves another purpose entirely, which I guess I really don't want or need.

To each his own, there's nothing better about either approach by itself... Its just a matter of which approach works better for your needs.

I got the Sony Z3v last Friday. It has the LED light and a great camera which were priorities for me. Its a solid performer with 8-9 hour screen time battery life, and really love the slab factor and design, although I really wish it had ballistic nylon in the back! LOL.

Having said that though, I will definitely be checking out the Turbo on Thursday since, after all, I'm within my 14 day return/exchange period! :)

you werent getting the Turbo because you bought a phone last week. No need for the rest of your nonsense post.

Last edited:

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
you werent getting the Turbo because you bought a phone last week. No need for the restt of your nonsense post.
I thought my post was clear about why I didn't get the Turbo? That it was because LED and camera were priorities for me. It was not because I simply bought a different phone. I read the Turbo manual and followed all the leaks for weeks prior to buying my Z3v. There was a discussion about LEDs and I thought I was making a contribution with my post. I am very sorry if you feel differently, but to say it was nonsense is kind of insulting and a tad rude, no?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
you werent getting the Turbo because you bought a phone last week. No need for the restt of your nonsense post.

bought a (inferior) phone last week.

You forgot that part, which explains why he is still posting on Turbo threads along with a lot of others who are angry with themselves.

This message was emitted from Uranus

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
bought a (inferior) phone last week.

You forgot that part, which explains why he is still posting on Turbo threads along with a lot of others who are angry with themselves.

This message was emitted from Uranus
I'm very sorry you misunderstood the intent of my post. I was following up on another members comments about the lack of LED notification on the Turbo. I was and still am impressed by the awesome specs that the Turbo has and I never claimed it was inferior to any other phone including the Z3v I chose over the Turbo. The specs are actually superior in the Turbo, it just doesn't meet my personal priorities and needs.

My needs are different than yours... is that justification for saying I'm angry with myself and that I bought an inferior phone and shouldn't be contributing my thoughts in this forum?

I'm a tech enthusiast and follow everything mobile related. I do have personal opinions and experience and I try to share them in forums like this from time to time. I don't believe I've said anything out of place, but if I have it was unintentional and I apologize.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe I've said anything out of place, but if I have it was unintentional and I apologize.

You surely didn't and you have no need to apologize to anybody. One of the great things about android is that you can love one feature and I can love another and we can both find a phone that best fits our needs and they can be different phones, and they can both be great devices. There is not only one great phone available right now. Good luck with whichever phone you end up with.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey, new here but longtime VZW customer and just wanted to let everyone know if they didn't know already that the VZW online portal is live and I ordered a 64GB BN + Otterbox and it'll be here Friday morning. I'm a Mac guy but just couldn't move away from my Moto flip phone so this will be my first smart phone and Android product.

Thanks to those members who unknowingly helped me out the last couple days while crash-coursing in Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22