02-08-2015 10:09 AM
98 1234
tools
    My contract is already up and I didn't have the patience to wait 2 more days, let alone 32 days! So glad they are doing this trade in deal bc I couldn't have afforded the 64GB otherwise. #Winning

This message was emitted from Uranus
    10-28-2014 10:15 PM
    Found this:

"Unfortunately the Droid Turbo has to make do without an optical image stabilization system though."

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/7...d-fast-charing

[weeping...]
    Any word on optical zoom?

This message was emitted from Uranus
    10-28-2014 10:16 PM
    It doesnt have OIS... The camera wont be good this year again... My Maxx struggles to take a good picture in dark with flash.
    10-28-2014 11:57 PM
    Camera samples I've found so far. Pretty decent camera. Good enough for me atleast.

https://plus.google.com/+MichelleGat...ts/Kgsys7jMCip

First camera samples from the Motorola DROID Turbo

Motorola Droid Turbo hands-on: First look - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Only thing I'm bummed out about is the slow mo video only in 720p. Other than that, I'm more than satisfied. No OIS either.
    Fable and foolie like this.
    10-29-2014 12:29 AM
    That google account one was a really good find Xellos.

The camera is still one of the things I am trying to get information on. There isn't a lot of information about it and OIS seems like a feature most people want. So I did some unique searches and found the following:

iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6 Plus camera shootout! | iMore

Now I know that this is an Apple Sensor (I think they partner with Sony actually), but its an example of several shots with low light being taken by the same photographer. It shows the difference that the sensor vs the sensor with OIS makes. I really am not sure the differences are that staggering and I am also not sure how good the actual sensor is on the Motorola Turbo.. but it does put into perspective for me that OIS isn't as important a feature as I thought initially.

I'm hoping that Droid Life and AC do some different shots to give us an idea. While I am sure the stills are going to be full of detail and true to color.. im a little concerned with the shutter speed and capturing motion / bluring. I'm coming from a Galaxy S4, so I am sure current technology will at least rival that device - but I really am hoping for a major bump as I use my phone for a camera a lot.
    10-29-2014 07:39 AM
    Turbo only records video in 1080P at 30 fps. My DNA from 2 years ago can do this. I was hoping to not have to lug around a camcorder as much. Am I misinformed and does it do 60 fps? If it only does 30fps, please convince me that this isn't an oversight for such a powerful phone and that I don't need 60 fps anyway. Looks like the 4k is 24 FPS. Should I ever bother using that?
    10-29-2014 09:19 AM
    Turbo only records video in 1080P at 30 fps. My DNA from 2 years ago can do this. I was hoping to not have to lug around a camcorder as much. Am I misinformed and does it do 60 fps? If it only does 30fps, please convince me that this isn't an oversight for such a powerful phone and that I don't need 60 fps anyway. Looks like the 4k is 24 FPS. Should I ever bother using that?
    Honestly I wouldn't think too much into it. I'm sure it's capable but that doesn't mean its better. Since your phone will be used for family shots or the like 30fps is more pleasing on the eyes. My Sony RX100 shoots in 60fps and I hate it. It's like when you turn 120hz on on your tv. It gives the video the soap opera like effect.

Besides that...Youtube still doesn't support 60fps unless it's a Twitch feed or something gaming. Even then it's still only a handful of videos.

Point and case is even if you had 60fps shooting, it will be scaled back to 30fps if you decide to upload it somewhere.
    10-29-2014 09:45 AM
    Yeah, for most video 30FPS is fine unless you're talking gaming. The 24FPS is what Blu Ray videos usually end up being as that's what most movies are shot at that give it the film look. Anything higher looks artificial to most people.
    10-29-2014 09:51 AM
    Camera samples I've found so far. Pretty decent camera. Good enough for me atleast.

https://plus.google.com/+MichelleGat...ts/Kgsys7jMCip

First camera samples from the Motorola DROID Turbo

Motorola Droid Turbo hands-on: First look - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Only thing I'm bummed out about is the slow mo video only in 720p. Other than that, I'm more than satisfied. No OIS either.
    The nighttime photo from the first link is interesting. You can see the larger f 2.0 aperture is helping capture more light, but the need for OIS can be seen as well. The daylight photo looks a tad washed out.

The photos from the second link, PhoneArena, are terrible. Out of focus and dim. I wonder if the shooter knew what he/she was doing? If this is what the typical indoor shot will look like, no thank you!

The photos from the GSMArena link look promising, but any Moto phone from the past 2 years takes great shots in normal daylight conditions.
    10-29-2014 10:06 AM
    I think the Motorola camera app is on the play store right? I think I remember the Moto X last year had slow shutter speeds but that was fixed pretty quickly through a play store update.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the second link. More specifically the shot of the window. That's actually a difficult picture to take, since from previous Motorola phones, if you focus on the window everything else turns pitch black while you see the window. And if you focus on anything else, it becomes extremely over exposed. The rest of them seem pretty mediocre though.

However that one night time shot on the Google account has me sold. That's miles beyond my RMHD.
    10-29-2014 10:31 AM
    I think the Motorola camera app is on the play store right? I think I remember the Moto X last year had slow shutter speeds but that was fixed pretty quickly through a play store update.
    I'm not sure, too lazy to look right now.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the second link. More specifically the shot of the window. That's actually a difficult picture to take, since from previous Motorola phones, if you focus on the window everything else turns pitch black while you see the window. And if you focus on anything else, it becomes extremely over exposed. The rest of them seem pretty mediocre though.
    You're right, backlit shots are terrible with my RMHD. While that particular shot is a bit better, it goes to the question of whether or not the shooter realizes that is going to be a bad shot no matter what. I wouldn't have even attempted it, certainly wouldn't have posted it.

However that one night time shot on the Google account has me sold. That's miles beyond my RMHD.
    Yes, that is impressive compared to the RMHD. I wonder if the auto-HDR was being used? Based on the scant noise in the black areas, I'd say so. Still, you can see some blurring around the lights on buildings where either a faster shutter or OIS would have helped.
    10-29-2014 10:37 AM
    Yeah I can't find it on the store. Not sure what the name of it is though so I;m not sure if it's not exactly there. I'm sure the window what was just thrown in with the rest of them, but I'm glad it was though. Shows that the camera is still capable, but it might be down to software processing that's screwing it up. And everybody seems to be making a big deal about lollipop's new camera APIs. Probably only stands to get better from here.

I'm sure HDR was used in the shot. I know my RMHD basically suggests HDR whenever light is slightly less than optimal. Still looks pretty good though, but it certainly won't be quick.
    10-29-2014 12:21 PM
    10-29-2014 09:31 PM
    Eh, the camera looks to be okay I guess. Still good enough for me atleast. I wonder how much better lollipop will make camera images look with RAW images though.
    10-29-2014 10:05 PM
    This great video and photo samples at back end of video just showed up on youtube tonight. The camera looks like it's a really good one.
    10-29-2014 11:20 PM
    I know the lighting wasn't the best but I see washed out colors on just about every photo. Looks like every other Moto camera from the past several years. Underexposed and undersaturated.
    10-30-2014 09:10 AM
    These samples seem to reflect my expectations of cell phone cameras. Some of them tend to the very good side and others leave something to be desired. Problem with sample photos is you never know how many shots were taken to get the one selected. I watched two ladies taking a selfie the other day - shoot - delete - shoot. They must have taken 15 before they got the one they liked.

Whether you like the Turbo camera is the same as for any other cell phone camera. It will depend on how you use it. If future samples I expect to see soon for early purchasers stay close to these samples, it would serve my needs.

Some what of a serious photographer. If I want high quality pictures, I would be using one of my four dedicated cameras at least one of which is close to the size of the Turbo.

Wish that OIS had been included. Guess I will have to keep my old shaking hands stable.
    10-30-2014 09:58 AM
    These samples seem to reflect my expectations of cell phone cameras. Some of them tend to the very good side and others leave something to be desired.

Whether you like the Turbo camera is the same as for any other cell phone camera. It will depend on how you use it. If future samples I expect to see soon for early purchasers stay close to these samples, it would serve my needs.

Some what of a serious photographer. If I want high quality pictures, I would be using one of my four dedicated cameras at least one of which is close to the size of the Turbo.
    The thing is, other companies can make phones that take really good photos--Apple, Samsung, Sony, so why can't Motorola?

Here is an objective web site that has an honest test of cameras.

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?...&idPhone3=4666

They use the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as the standard, but I think it's somewhat oversaturated. I prefer the Apple 6 plus. Anyway you can compare three different camera reference shots. Load the Apple 6 plus as the center camera and then select Moto Razr Maxx as the bottom camera. (I have it set that way in the link, I hope it keeps it when you click on it.) Then in the left hand window with the photo reference (ISO 12233 chart) drag the green view finder box to the color sample bar. Run the view finder across the colors. Notice the problem with greens and yellow with the Moto. Green looks like teal; yellow looks like cream. Switch the photo reference chart to the color poster, then slide the green view finder box over to the purple daisy and you can see the differences. Also get the viewfinder box so the eyes of the woman on the left are in the viewfinder. Compare the colors. Samsung oversaturated, Apple accurate, Moto inaccurate, washed out. Also check out the floral print dress on that same female model.

Yes, I know this isn't the Droid Turbo being compared and we'll have to wait for it to be extensively reviewed, but from what I'm seeing of the sample photos being posted from the Turbo from yesterday and today, they look exactly like past Motorola photos--inaccurate and undersaturated.

Wish that OIS had been included. Guess I will have to keep my old shaking hands stable.
    To get around this problem on my Razr Maxx HD, I assign the volume rocker as the shutter. While holding down the volume rocker (shutter), I tap the screen to focus, then hold the phone with both hands to stabilize it, then release the volume rocker. Gets me better shots. Also whenever possible, I brace my elbow(s) on something solid to further steady my shot. But we shouldn't need to do this--just give us OIS. The maddening thing is, it is built into my RMHD, but the stock camera doesn't use it. I tested several third party camera apps, some with OIS, but they weren't as good as the stock camera app without it.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:40 AM
    Interesting compare tool. Thanks for sharing it. Do you have any idea how often they update the list of phones? Or how they select which phones to include?
    10-30-2014 06:48 PM
    Interesting compare tool. Thanks for sharing it. Do you have any idea how often they update the list of phones? Or how they select which phones to include?
    Sorry, no, I don't know answers to either of your questions. But it's got the Apple 6 plus and the Galaxy Tab 4, both came out in September.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    10-30-2014 07:20 PM
    Sorry, no, I don't know answers to either of your questions. But it's got the Apple 6 plus and the Galaxy Tab 4, both came out in September.
    But unless I missed it, Moto X is not yet made the cut. Could well be based on expected sales volume.
    10-30-2014 07:33 PM
    Astoria, Queens, video doesn't look bad.
    10-30-2014 08:22 PM
    Besides that...Youtube still doesn't support 60fps unless it's a Twitch feed or something gaming. Even then it's still only a handful of videos.

Does now

Posted via Android Central App
    10-30-2014 08:38 PM
    I've come to grips with all my concerns on the Turbo- even the no data while calling disaster. However, the one thing I can't believe is how slow the camera lag is. In store, I could snap a picture of my hand, move my hand afterwards, and the hand would never be in the picture. It was pathetic. A phone next to it, which I would rather not buy, had an instantaneous click and picture capture. My current DNA is faster and even with that I've been longing for a better camera. Any chance a software patch can speed this up to almost instantaneous like a phone with these specs should be able to handle?
    10-31-2014 01:17 PM
    I've come to grips with all my concerns on the Turbo- even the no data while calling disaster. However, the one thing I can't believe is how slow the camera lag is. In store, I could snap a picture of my hand, move my hand afterwards, and the hand would never be in the picture. It was pathetic. A phone next to it, which I would rather not buy, had an instantaneous click and picture capture. My current DNA is faster and even with that I've been longing for a better camera. Any chance a software patch can speed this up to almost instantaneous like a phone with these specs should be able to handle?
    Did you accept the software updates? This appears to have fixed it on mine. One update is from Settings>System Updates and the other is the actual Moto Camera app that you can today from Google Play Store

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 01:18 PM
98 1234