Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo How is the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's what the Droid Does page says"

Droid Turbo’s intelligent imaging uses enhanced image quality algorithms so you get the best shot possible with zero effort. Video capture in 4k means never missing a moment.

That still doesn't say much. And that last sentence makes absolutely no sense. 4k has nothing to do with being able to get the camera out and record a movie.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My contract is already up and I didn't have the patience to wait 2 more days, let alone 32 days! So glad they are doing this trade in deal bc I couldn't have afforded the 64GB otherwise. #Winning

This message was emitted from Uranus

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
That google account one was a really good find Xellos.

The camera is still one of the things I am trying to get information on. There isn't a lot of information about it and OIS seems like a feature most people want. So I did some unique searches and found the following:

iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6 Plus camera shootout! | iMore

Now I know that this is an Apple Sensor (I think they partner with Sony actually), but its an example of several shots with low light being taken by the same photographer. It shows the difference that the sensor vs the sensor with OIS makes. I really am not sure the differences are that staggering and I am also not sure how good the actual sensor is on the Motorola Turbo.. but it does put into perspective for me that OIS isn't as important a feature as I thought initially.

I'm hoping that Droid Life and AC do some different shots to give us an idea. While I am sure the stills are going to be full of detail and true to color.. im a little concerned with the shutter speed and capturing motion / bluring. I'm coming from a Galaxy S4, so I am sure current technology will at least rival that device - but I really am hoping for a major bump as I use my phone for a camera a lot.

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Turbo only records video in 1080P at 30 fps. My DNA from 2 years ago can do this. I was hoping to not have to lug around a camcorder as much. Am I misinformed and does it do 60 fps? If it only does 30fps, please convince me that this isn't an oversight for such a powerful phone and that I don't need 60 fps anyway. Looks like the 4k is 24 FPS. Should I ever bother using that?

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Turbo only records video in 1080P at 30 fps. My DNA from 2 years ago can do this. I was hoping to not have to lug around a camcorder as much. Am I misinformed and does it do 60 fps? If it only does 30fps, please convince me that this isn't an oversight for such a powerful phone and that I don't need 60 fps anyway. Looks like the 4k is 24 FPS. Should I ever bother using that?

Honestly I wouldn't think too much into it. I'm sure it's capable but that doesn't mean its better. Since your phone will be used for family shots or the like 30fps is more pleasing on the eyes. My Sony RX100 shoots in 60fps and I hate it. It's like when you turn 120hz on on your tv. It gives the video the soap opera like effect.

Besides that...Youtube still doesn't support 60fps unless it's a Twitch feed or something gaming. Even then it's still only a handful of videos.

Point and case is even if you had 60fps shooting, it will be scaled back to 30fps if you decide to upload it somewhere.

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, for most video 30FPS is fine unless you're talking gaming. The 24FPS is what Blu Ray videos usually end up being as that's what most movies are shot at that give it the film look. Anything higher looks artificial to most people.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Camera samples I've found so far. Pretty decent camera. Good enough for me atleast.

https://plus.google.com/+MichelleGattuso/posts/Kgsys7jMCip

First camera samples from the Motorola DROID Turbo

Motorola Droid Turbo hands-on: First look - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Only thing I'm bummed out about is the slow mo video only in 720p. Other than that, I'm more than satisfied. No OIS either.

The nighttime photo from the first link is interesting. You can see the larger f 2.0 aperture is helping capture more light, but the need for OIS can be seen as well. The daylight photo looks a tad washed out.

The photos from the second link, PhoneArena, are terrible. Out of focus and dim. I wonder if the shooter knew what he/she was doing? If this is what the typical indoor shot will look like, no thank you!

The photos from the GSMArena link look promising, but any Moto phone from the past 2 years takes great shots in normal daylight conditions.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I think the Motorola camera app is on the play store right? I think I remember the Moto X last year had slow shutter speeds but that was fixed pretty quickly through a play store update.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the second link. More specifically the shot of the window. That's actually a difficult picture to take, since from previous Motorola phones, if you focus on the window everything else turns pitch black while you see the window. And if you focus on anything else, it becomes extremely over exposed. The rest of them seem pretty mediocre though.

However that one night time shot on the Google account has me sold. That's miles beyond my RMHD.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the Motorola camera app is on the play store right? I think I remember the Moto X last year had slow shutter speeds but that was fixed pretty quickly through a play store update.

I'm not sure, too lazy to look right now.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the second link. More specifically the shot of the window. That's actually a difficult picture to take, since from previous Motorola phones, if you focus on the window everything else turns pitch black while you see the window. And if you focus on anything else, it becomes extremely over exposed. The rest of them seem pretty mediocre though.

You're right, backlit shots are terrible with my RMHD. While that particular shot is a bit better, it goes to the question of whether or not the shooter realizes that is going to be a bad shot no matter what. I wouldn't have even attempted it, certainly wouldn't have posted it.

However that one night time shot on the Google account has me sold. That's miles beyond my RMHD.

Yes, that is impressive compared to the RMHD. I wonder if the auto-HDR was being used? Based on the scant noise in the black areas, I'd say so. Still, you can see some blurring around the lights on buildings where either a faster shutter or OIS would have helped.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I can't find it on the store. Not sure what the name of it is though so I;m not sure if it's not exactly there. I'm sure the window what was just thrown in with the rest of them, but I'm glad it was though. Shows that the camera is still capable, but it might be down to software processing that's screwing it up. And everybody seems to be making a big deal about lollipop's new camera APIs. Probably only stands to get better from here.

I'm sure HDR was used in the shot. I know my RMHD basically suggests HDR whenever light is slightly less than optimal. Still looks pretty good though, but it certainly won't be quick.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Eh, the camera looks to be okay I guess. Still good enough for me atleast. I wonder how much better lollipop will make camera images look with RAW images though.

Status
Not open for further replies.