Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo How is the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Is one better vs the other?

The phone was designed and optimized around the Moto Camera app so I would stick with that one. Then again, this is the beauty of Android, so you could try any camera app you like :) Go crazy!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Is one better vs the other?

Between the stock camera and the Google camera app I don't think you will see any difference in the quality of photos using the auto setting (or any other setting they share). The Moto app is kind of minimalistic, there isn't a lot of things to tweak (unless they are buried in the camera menu, I couldn't find them when I played with the Turbo yesterday). There are a few other options in the Google camera app.

My experience with other camera apps are that they give you more manual control but the images are not accurate, like the stock app or the Google app. However, I don't have a Droid Turbo (yet) so I can only speak from my experience with a Maxx HD.

As Firedogee says, you can download the apps, try them out and see for yourself, then delete the ones you don't like. That's exactly what I did with my RMHD and I ended up going with the stock app.

Some to try are HD Camera Pro, Camera 360, Camera Zoom FX, Camera FV-5 Lite. FWIW, I got the best results from Camera FV-5 Lite but the rub was the Lite version (free version) only lets you take photos that are 3 MB or smaller.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have little doubt that it is the same as mine. I know you can't find one negative thing about this phone, but come on already.
The issue with a comment like this is that you expect different things from your phone than he does. The camera is perfectly fine on the Turbo for what I need it for. The pictures are very clear and good detail. The battery life is superb, operating system is lightning fast, voice recognition and other things work great.

My only complaints is the lack of voice+data simultaneously and a lower ear piece volume when compared to Samsung. Neither of which is a deal breaker. Again, just because you find faults doesn't mean he has to have found faults with the phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The issue with a comment like this is that you expect different things from your phone than he does. The camera is perfectly fine on the Turbo for what I need it for.

Again, just because you find faults doesn't mean he has to have found faults with the phone.

EngineerGuy is not necessarily finding fault. He is contesting the idea that when FireDogee did the software update his camera got faster picture taking times whereas EngineerGuy's did not.

EngineerGuy, I've noticed with my old Moto that the shutter speed varies with the amount of light. That is, more light, faster shutter. I definitely have experienced the phenomena of snapping the picture and capturing an image a split second later. It sucks.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
EngineerGuy is not necessarily finding fault. He is contesting the idea that when FireDogee did the software update his camera got faster picture taking times whereas EngineerGuy's did not.

EngineerGuy, I've noticed with my old Moto that the shutter speed varies with the amount of light. That is, more light, faster shutter. I definitely have experienced the phenomena of snapping the picture and capturing an image a split second later. It sucks.
I saw the post although it was a quick look. I thought FireDogee was just making a suggestion just in case it solved an issue. Maybe he said it fixed his but I don't recall seeing that.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have little doubt that it is the same as mine. I know you can't find one negative thing about this phone, but come on already.

The one negative would be that it still has some WiFi signal strength issues on mine. I'm not experiencing the other problems you are. Sorry.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not experiencing the other problems you are. Sorry.

I guess you have a "special" phone that nobody else does...

And FWIW, I never said it was a problem but rather agreed with others who have said that the capture was a bit on the slow side and that the magical software update didn't matter...as it didn't matter with anyone's phone, including yours.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I guess you have a "special" phone that nobody else does...

And FWIW, I never said it was a problem but rather agreed with others who have said that the capture was a bit on the slow side and that the magical software update didn't matter...as it didn't matter with anyone's phone, including yours.

I'm sorry you're so angry. I probably just got lucky that my nano Sim card worked and I did all the app and system updates early yesterday so I haven't had many problems. I think this phone has room for improvement and I'm confident they will get these problems fixed for you.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
"A bit on the slow side" is a bit generous.

I just tested mine again and the shutter speed is almost instantaneous when I touch the screen. It is a bit slower if you have HDR set to auto bc it is compensating for low light AND doing more processing than a normal shot. Try turning HDR off and see if it helps?

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I didn't purchase so I'll wait until a few others try and go back and give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. Wish I tested your phone!

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My device also takes instantaneous photos. However when I have HDR/HDR auto on it takes longer to process the image. Seriously. Maybe my device was blessed by a Wizard before it was shipped to the local Verizon store.

Posted via the Android Central App

"So you're saying there's a chance!?!" -Dumb and Dumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance