Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo How is the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, its finally here. Now how is the camera? What sensor is in there? How large is the sensor? The pixels?

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: How is the camera?

Well we're not sure yet on it. It's a 20.7 megapixel camera, I think that's all the info we have.. But it looks like all the press at the event are getting their hands on the models now, so expect to see lots of camera samples soon.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Hopefully not the same P. P. software as the Moto X :(

This message was emitted from Uranus

Probably is. The only thing in limbo is OIS. I'm assuming it'll be the Sony sensor. Sony has a system that takes 8mp shots by default and then uses the extra megapixel count to fill in extra details. Works kind of like the Nokia Pureview.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

If you look at the camera on the landing page, I would say it is OIS... the camera is shown moving in and out as well as leveling... think OIS is a good chance.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Phandroid is the first hands-on I've seen that mentions it:
As for how capable that 21MP camera is? It’s nice, for sure. Again, we need more time to throughly evaluate its potential, but a few initial shots in a well-lit NYC loft space came out on the higher end of the smartphone spectrum in terms of quality.

http://phandroid.com/2014/10/28/hands-on-motorola-droid-turbo/

bbqdroid

May 18, 2011
Visit site

That just looks like the zoom function to me. I don't believe you would necessarily "see" the OIS in action.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

That just looks like the zoom function to me. I don't believe you would necessarily "see" the OIS in action.

True, an Optical Zoom lens and Optical Image Stabilization are two very different features.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I think the camera is just using it's auto focus to move back and forth.

But, I'm looking at this picture, and is it just me or do you guys see two different camera assemblies?

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites.../10/motorola-droid-ultra-12.jpg?itok=t1ig9hYy

The nylon version has a cascade like assemblies while the other is flat. I doubt they used two different cameras, but I wonder if there's a secret here.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

You would think if there was some significant improvement in the picture quality or something else with the camera other than just the number of megapixels they would have talked about it this morning. The megapixel number by itself means absolutely nothing. I'm expecting another lackluster camera

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

hazardouse21

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Based on the few hands-on videos I've seen on YouTube, the camera seems to take pictures pretty slowly, which is disappointing coming from a GS3 which takes them pretty much instantly. Haven't seen anything about photo quality though.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Based on the few hands-on videos I've seen on YouTube, the camera seems to take pictures pretty slowly, which is disappointing coming from a GS3 which takes them pretty much instantly. Haven't seen anything about photo quality though.

I believe the same issue occurred with Moto X launch (both years) but the software update improved it. If there is a problem with Turbo, and that's a big IF, I'm sure VZW will patch it quickly so they can boast it is the biggest and best Android camera available. Plus 5.0 will allow everything to run faster in this phone.

Last edited:

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

If the camera is good, i will buy it. The poor camera quality on motorola phones is why I have never considered them. If this one tests well, the Droid Turbo is my next phone. Especially since Verizon phucked up the Z3... and they didnt bring the Z3 compact to the U.S. My two year Verizon contract with Galaxy S3 ends Nov. 20. I hope this phone is legit... cause I am dying for a new phone..

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx HD. My contract is up in 32 days. The only disappointing thing about it is the inconsistency of the camera. If Moto put another lackluster camera in the Turbo I'll probably keep my Maxx HD.

There is no reason the Turbo shouldn't have optical image stabilization. My Maxx HD had it built in but the stock camera cannot access it. It's probably built into the Turbo but is also inaccessible. I would think if it was a feature Moto would be trumpeting the fact.

The Moto Nexus 6 has OIS, the Moto X (2014) does not.

I did see the lens is an f 2.0 which is good. Maxx HD is 2.4, Moto Nexus 6 is also 2.0, Moto X (2014) is 2.2.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx HD. My contract is up in 32 days. The only disappointing thing about it is the inconsistency of the camera. If Moto put another lackluster camera in the Turbo I'll probably keep my Maxx HD.

There is no reason the Turbo shouldn't have optical image stabilization. My Maxx HD had it built in but the stock camera cannot access it. It's probably built into the Turbo but is also inaccessible. I would think if it was a feature Moto would be trumpeting the fact.

I did see the lens is an f 2.0 which is good. Maxx HD is 2.4.

Yea, they've trumpted nothing about the camera except its bug MP, which means nothing if there isn't stuff to go along with it. That's just a number that gets people who don't have a clue about cameras excited. How can they have all of these other top specs and put a sub par camera in it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol