Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Which back/material is more scratch resistant?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Which back/material is more scratch resistant?

Both are new to phones so it's anyone's guess at this point

Posted from the Avengers: Age of Droid Ultra

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

I think both will be fairly resistant to scratch resistance. The issue might come to gouges. MGF might chip or actually gouge out. I have no experience with that material whatsoever so I'm just basing it on the way it looks.

However I don't think BN will scratch if at all. My motorcycle jacket has been hit by rocks going at 60, dragged on a floor (me dragging it, not falling off my bike) and things like that and it still looks flawless. Can't see it having much problem, especially in every day use. Unless someone is trying to stab it with a knife, it'll probably be okay.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Isn't MGF the same material used on the Sony Z3? I heard it had a totally glass exterior that was pretty tough.

This message was emitted from Uranus

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

I think it was tempered glass? As far as I had heard, the entire Z line had shattered backs that were just happening out of nowhere. I never really looked into it.

Although I'm fairly sure that MGF is a new material that no phone has used yet. I have never even heard the acronym before until this phone.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Ah, I think you're right. Those "shatter" stories were one of the many reasons I avoided looking further at that Sony model.

This message was emitted from Uranus

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Those stories are probably by people who don't realize sudden temperature swings are never good for any kind of glass, especially tempered glass. Probably took their phones out of their pockets (where it would be warm) or were using their phones enough to heat up the back and then put the phone on a cold surface, where it "suddenly" and "magically" shattered. Being unable to feel the clearly visible cracks with a fingernail would be further evidence of this.

In any case, I think the ballistic nylon would be more rugged than the other variants. And even if it weren't as tough as the MGF, the texture would certainly hide scratches, scrapes, and gouges a lot better than it would on a smooth surface... this would probably be the first phone that I've seen in recent times that I would definitely have no qualms about using it without a case.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I looked up ballistic nylon and it was apparently developed for flak jackets. I have a Toshiba laptop bag made of ballistic nylon, it's about 5-6 years old. It got beat around quite a bit, and there are no tears or threading. The only thing that shows it's age on it is the rubber/plastic Toshiba emblems, and they just look dirty. And I don't think anyone would have to worry about it picking up lint and what not putting it in their pockets, it seems to be a pretty tight weave. It should be nice to have something different for a change in terms of body material.

Last edited: